What's new

Changing pipes for each blend?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was reading that you should have a pipe for each brand and blend you smoke is this really needed I'm just starting out and don't really want to throw down that kind of money on pipe's just yet but i do want to try different brands and blends.

Just looking for some input on this thanks again you guy's have been a big help,

mark

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd say keep a few pipes around for different types of tobacco.. don't mix lakatia or english blends with VA blends.. have a separate pipe for any aromatic or seasoned (flavoured) tobacco... Until you have narrowed down your smoking to a few blends I wouldn't go as far as keeping a pipe for each blend... Once you have narrowed it down, the lakatia pipe will lend itself to any lakatia blend you then smoke.. but it probably would take quite a lot of cleaning before you got the flavour out of it if you end up smoking just VA blends.. same with aromatics.. they normally stay aromatic ... the VA blend pipe can easily become a english blend or aromatic blend pipe without much of a worry ...

Just my take on it.. I do have quite a lot of pipes but I generally just have a few English blends and a few VA blends, but I also have 2 pipes that are dedicated for one blend each.. but that is simply because amongst trying different blends, I also have 2 staple blends that are regular in my rotation...

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mark-5,

I too am relatively new at the Pipe. I have several Estate type Pipes and for a new smoker that seems the way to go. Check the various sources for Estate's or even PM me I know some Great places. E-Bay is a crap Shoot. Plus there is always a Sanity issue(Both Cleanliness and Mental issues)

I basicly have Pipes for Aromatics and pipes for English blends. You do not want to mix and match as it Ruins the flavor and muddles the Pipe Permenantly. If You must try before You buy...at least You are not compromising an expensive Pipe in the Process. A possible alternative, Derriffe is a big Fan of the Corn Cob Pipe. They are Cheap and disposable and He say's the flavor is not bad.
But Really, a few modest Pipes, are a reasonable expense if You truly wish to give Pipe Tabac a fair Shake. Of course We are not talking about 20 Pipes, to start with. But most Pipers have a few. Maybe 3 or 4 to start, seriously. At least 2 for Your favorite Style, so You can rest the Pipes. Then One or two for the other style. Most new Smokers do not smoke a Pipe everyday, so That should Do. It takes a bit to get the knack and even then, You still have things to learn. Me for example. When I started, I had a very limited flavor experience and only "liked" a couple of Tabacs. As I progressed and learned that each Tabac has tendancies and Preferences and even different Smoking Paces. My Palate broadened considerably. Point being, I learned "How" to smoke more Flavor from the Pipes And the Tabacco. Multiple Pipes "was" the turning point for Me.

We also have several Incredible Brothers Whom Helped Me Greatly! With Pipes and Tabacco! Tons of Great experience and information to be found amongst Our Brothers.
Sure, I know that later on I'll be looking at investment Quality Pipes, But that's another Growth stage in the Art Of Pipes. It truly is an Art. Not Mearly with the Pipes themselves(Altho Art there Be in them!) and not just in the Blender's Art of consistancy. But, Art in the Smoking!
After All, We've Each ruined a few Bowls of Quality Tabacco by a careless Packing Job or a Rushed Match!

When It All Comes Together correctly, It is A Pleasure and Yes an Art.

At least I feel that way about it.

Good Puffing To Ya, Mark!

slack

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I know I have some thats I only smoke Va's in it and English in the other.
I also have a few pipes that I smoke only one blend in.

But I have a pretty good collection of pipes to do that.
70+
I keep some cobs here for friend that wanna smoke but don't want to ruin a good pipe.

so the best bet is to try a pipe with a blend and see what smokes better in it.
I have some pipes that smoke like crap with english blends but smoke like a dream with VA's and vice versa.
the pipe shape can help determin what may be a good smoke.
any q's email me
stephen.
I will help any way I can.