What's new

changing to 65%

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until 1 month ago, I've kept 70% beads in my cooler. Having some burn issues, I changed to the recommended 65% beads. The relative humidity has finally gotten down to around 67%. My question is, how long should it take for my cigars to acclimate to 65%? I smoked a couple this weekend, and had no burn issues. But the taste reminded me of a dry cigar, not as good as they were when I had them at 70%. I realize that taste is subjective, but should I expect it to improve after holding them at 65% for a while? Thanks in advance.

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You have ruined all of your cigars....send them to me and I will smoke those bad cigars.:rolling:

Seriously, just go ahead and smoke them as the days go by. Your taste buds will tell you what is going on. The dry taste may be psychological...I don't mean that in a sarcastic way but our minds do play games with our taste buds.

I found it interesting that your beads gave you a higher RH than they were rated for. I started with 65% beads and could not get my humi over 62-63% RH. I went to the 70% beads and have seen my humi stay between 67-70% RH. I use a digital hygrometer.

Sam

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Its a balancing act. Find the level you like. May differ cigar to cigar as well.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I honestly thought the same thing a long time ago. I'd let my Cigar Oasis run dry and didn't notice for like 3 weeks and when I did, they hygrometer said 61&#37;. Every cigar I had for a month after that tasted dry and bitter, of course it was all in my head as they were actually just fine. Yours will be too.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
RH will take time to balance out depending if the sticks are stored in cello or are kep in dress boxes or slide lid boxes. The more air tight the cigars, the slowed the air and RH exchange. Also thicker ring guages can affect the time as well. Nature will fix in it's due time.