What's new

Changing toothpaste made a huge difference in cigar flavor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my experience with a nagging bitter taste in my cigar that I was living with for some time now.

Doing some research revealed a possible cause of the problem. It was easy and inexpensive to correct and the difference, for me, made an enormous improvement.

Most toothpastes contain sodium laureth sulfate (and its counterparts, sodium lauryl ether sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate), which is responsible for making the toothpaste foam up in your mouth. (go look at the ingredients on the label) It's also responsible for everything tasting bad afterward.

"While surfactants make brushing our teeth a lot easier, they do more than make foam. Both SLES and SLS mess with our taste buds in two ways. One, they suppress the receptors on our taste buds that perceive sweetness, inhibiting our ability to pick up the sweet notes of food and drink. And, as if that wasn't enough, they break up the phospholipids on our tongue. These fatty molecules inhibit our receptors for bitterness and keep bitter tastes from overwhelming us, but when they're broken down by the surfactants in toothpaste, bitter tastes get enhanced."

Having read this I went out and bought some toothpaste without SLS in it. There's not a lot to choose from and ended up using a brand called 'Biotene'. Within days a change began to happen and improvements were very noticeable within a week.

Taste is subjective and I'm sure your mileage may vary. However, why would anyone want to use a product that would suppress sweetness and enhance bitterness? In my case it made an enormous difference in the taste of my cigar. The bitterness is gone and sweetness has returned. Well worth the little effort it took to change. HIGHLY recommended.

FYI ... they use this shit in all types of hand soap and shampoo. It helps sell the product because people like foamy soap. The SLS in shampoo will dry out your hair and scalp. It cuts out all the natural oils and leaves skin dry and flaky.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which biotene paste did you get? I noticed they have a few different types
I got the "fresh mint Original".

You will notice that brushing your teeth will be a different experience. May take some getting used to. Foaming action seems to indicate that everything is nice and clean and you won't get that using Biotene (or any SLS free toothpaste) However, not to worry, your teeth and mouth will be just as clean.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use TomsofMaine...its a natural toothpaste and I use Arm and Hammer...the less additives, sugar and alcohol the better. Biotine is good and swishing with organic things won't dull your taste buds.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gdaddy how much did a 4.3oz tube cost ya? Did you get it online or local store
I got it at Walmart. Walgreens and CVS also have it. I don't remember the cost. What ever it was 5 or 7 dollars was so well worth it to me.
Going to try the CloSYS next. 3.4 oz. is $6.64.

https://www.amazon.com/CloSYS-Fluoride-Free-Toothpaste-Ounce/dp/B0055BZ37O/ref=as_at/?creativeASIN=B0055BZ37O&imprToken=erlfsIcZwEePkPrwgee50g&slotNum=28&ie=UTF8&linkCode=w61&tag=sls011-20&linkId=2e305d606ee66800931828f9764fa83a

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Nabbed a 3 pack of 4.3oz'rs on ebay for $18 shipped. If you buy on ebay watch for expiration dates :p these were 12/2018 and up

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you notice a difference trying to smoke right after brushing or for a long time after brushing? I normally brush early in AM then smoke in the afternoon and brush again either afterwards or before going to bed. Was the affect long enough that brushing at 5 am affects the taste of a cigar I may smoke at 5 pm? Is the affect of the toothpaste long lasting is what I am trying to say, I guess.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nabbed a 3 pack of 4.3oz'rs on ebay for $18 shipped. If you buy on ebay watch for expiration dates :p these were 12/2018 and up
If you've always used SLS toothpaste you should find a new cigar waiting for you after a week or two of use.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice a difference trying to smoke right after brushing or for a long time after brushing? I normally brush early in AM then smoke in the afternoon and brush again either afterwards or before going to bed. Was the affect long enough that brushing at 5 am affects the taste of a cigar I may smoke at 5 pm? Is the affect of the toothpaste long lasting is what I am trying to say, I guess.
I just brush normal in the morning. (I've never want to smoke a cigar after brushing) My first cigar is usually later in the day or early evening.

The change in taste (lack of bitterness) will stay with you all day and night because the phospholipids on our tongue will remain undamaged. The problem is when they're broken down by the surfactants in toothpaste is when bitter tastes get enhanced. You need a little time to rebuild them.

It takes a week or so to rebuilt these fatty molecules but once they're back... they're back. Like getting a new palate.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not a big fan of user error as a quick answer but, a lot of the time it's true. like the videos you posted on cleansing the palate and humidity levels. good stuff.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are actually a lot of selections at Walgreens and a grocery store called Meier in Michigan.

I got some Toms of Main today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro