What's new

Changing toothpaste made a huge difference in cigar flavor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are actually a lot of selections at Walgreens and a grocery store called Meier in Michigan.

I got some Toms of Main today.
Be careful with 'Tom's of Maine' toothpastes. It's not all roses! Most all of them have SLS. Only a couple are SLS free.

'Botanically Bright' and 'Botanically Fresh' are the only two that are SLS free. (and the Toddler toothpaste) None of which they carry at my Walmart.

All the rest have SLS in them!

'Luminous white'
Tom's 'Whole care'
'Rapid relief sensitive'
'Simply white'
'Enamel strength'
'Wicked fresh'
'Cavity protection'
'Wicked cool'
'Fluoride-Free Propolis & Myrrh'
'Maximum Strength Sensitive Toothpaste'
'Fluoride-Free Sensitive'

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not a big fan of user error as a quick answer but, a lot of the time it's true. like the videos you posted on cleansing the palate and humidity levels. good stuff.
I kind of agree with this. Because if I have a Cuban that tastes great; and a Warped that tastes great; and a CAO that tastes great; and then I roll something that tastes bitter, I don't reckon it's my toothpaste.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I kind of agree with this. Because if I have a Cuban that tastes great; and a Warped that tastes great; and a CAO that tastes great; and then I roll something that tastes bitter, I don't reckon it's my toothpaste.
Very true, but will all the great smokes be even better after going SLS free? Is SLS the reason orange juice is nasty after brushing your teeth?
This might be worth trying out to see what else may improve beyond the cigars in our daily consumption...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, but will all the great smokes be even better after going SLS free? Is SLS the reason orange juice is nasty after brushing your teeth?
This might be worth trying out to see what else may improve beyond the cigars in our daily consumption...
Flavor, it's the reason we smoke cigars. The palate is the gateway to flavor. Your palate is sensitive and it's the only tool you've got that stands between you and your cigar. Why not take care of it?

SLS does NOTHING to make things taste better, only worse. All bad/no good. Doesn't help your palate or your teeth or your mouth in any way. So, if you have a choice, why would anyone want to use it?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm giving this Doctor Sheffield's a go. Claims to be all natural, no anything, yada yada. Says Doc Sheff invented tooth paste. Scored peppermint for the office, wintergreen for home. I don't see sodium laurel sulfate in the gredients. I do see Quillaja Saponaria wood extract, & stuff like that. I know how fond we all are of the Quillaja tree. Then it's got organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice. Reassuring to see that these New Age mumbojumologists are still just as fond of Latin as were Cuvier and Wallace.

We'll see.

Tried it just now. Tastes good. Feels clean. Poured a Mountain Dew in after it. Doesn't taste funny. Chased that with a tuna sammitch. Still OK. I like to brush before I leave the office, cause that makes the bugs taste better on the ride home. So I'll be using twice a day.

I like this idea, Gdaddy. Thanks for the thread.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly there can be other reasons for a bitter cigar. The cigar itself could be at fault. The tobacco blend, over or under humidified etc..

I've heard many times how a cigar tasted fantastic one day and then a day or two later the same cigar out of the same box tasted lousy. The cigar didn't change. This is an example of how the palate can change from day to day. It's sensitive and can be easily altered especially by strong food and drink. You can put things in your mouth that can change your palate and take days for the taste buds to recover. They're not indestructible and can't be instantly repaired by drinking some water. SLS damage can take weeks to repair.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A week into this experiment, and I gotta say it is a resounding success. Thanks a mil to Gdaddy for paving the way.

I used Doctor Sheffields only because that was what I found in front of me at the drug store. No other reason but these two facts: no SLS and it was right in front of me. Stuff made an immediate difference. First, my teeth feel way cleaner. They actually squeak. That's right -- if I brush X number of strokes, my teeth will squeak beneath the brush each stroke. They feel much smoother, too. Slicker'n deer guts on a door knob. And they don't collect fur, either. You know how you get that furry feeling after coffee or Coke? Use this stuff you don't. And that fur repellency lasts most all day. Not just gars, but everything else tastes so much better. I've even tried the lemonade right after brushing trick --- none of that after toothpaste gack. Gars? Excellent. Every time I smoke one of these Soneros that're in the rotation right now, I slap my ass on the back, saying "you da blenda". Finally, old Doc Sheffield makes the bugs taste better on my motorcycle ride.

I'm hooked.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm using the homemade toothpaste (coconut oil, baking soda, and artificial sweetener) I mentioned in a previous post and it does make a big difference. I added a bit of orange bitters for flavor and not only do my teeth feel cleaner it also knocks out cigar breath. The baking soda may be an acquired taste for some but so far so good.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm using the homemade toothpaste (coconut oil, baking soda, and artificial sweetener) I mentioned in a previous post and it does make a big difference. I added a bit of orange bitters for flavor and not only do my teeth feel cleaner it also knocks out cigar breath. The baking soda may be an acquired taste for some but so far so good.
Not only that, Boudie, but simply smiling at the grandbabies relieves diaper rash.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I switched to a similar recipe due to some other health issues and it has really improved my cigar experience. Like you said it really helps cut out the cigar breath as well