What's new

Charring vs. Toasting

Kimyounil

They call me Mike.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do I know the difference? This was brought to my attention when I was listening to Dog Watch Radio #111. They mentioned that using a butane lighter can result in charring which is bad for the cigar. I like to toast the foot of my cigars before I light it up. How do I know if I am charring the cigar? I'd appreciate the help and I know dogwatchdale lurks around here as well so if he could clarify that'd be great. Appreciate it guys.

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When toasting it, you never let the flame touch the cigar. Keeping it as cool as possible while still lighting it.

To me, charring it would be shoving the foot right down in the hottest part of the flame. (and yes, this will funk out the flavor for a while)

It takes me 3-5 minutes to light a cigar.

That's my little ritual, some folks may do it differently.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3-5 minutes to light a cigar?! You have more patience than I do!

When toasting the foot I keep the tip of the flame right on the cigar, but when lighting I actually hold the cigar away from the flame and draw the heat into the foot by inhaling. Seems to work pretty good, and only takes me about 20 seconds. :glassesgr

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It take me probably 30 seconds to a minute. 3-5 minutes is waaaay too long. I usually just watch the flame and let it get close to the cigar without actually touching the cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes me about 1 min or so to light a cigar. It all depends on whether I'm using a natural flame as opposed to a torch. I always allow the heat from the flame to make the tobacco combust. People have this notion that you have to stick the cigar in the flame...wrong. Tobacco will combust at its own temperature. When it does, you will see the flame jump and kiss the foot. I will preheat the foot initially, but rotate the cigar to allow a proper light. Thats all there is to it...lol.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I try to make cigar smoking less like a job and more of a non thinking, non stress action. In other words I just light the damn thing. Of course, that being said I'm not trying to win afficianado (sp?) of the year either. :thumbsup

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Probably about 1 minute for me to light one. I tilt the cigar and rotate it with the tip of the flame almost touching it, in order to get the binder lit. When I can blow on it and see a complete ring glowing, then I'll puff a couple of times with the foot held right above the flame and the flame will seem to jump into the cigar.

I like the whole ritual of cutting and lighting. That's a big part of enjoying a cigar to me.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ratbert -
Saw where Price went #1 overall to the DRays. How many years before VU can come up with another pitcher like that?

Didn't your closer go 8 overall as well?

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Yeah, losing David Price will hurt bad...we may not see another individual pitcher that good for a long time.

Casey Weathers went 8th to the Rockies and will be a fine closer in the majors, I'm sure of that.

I've heard some guys say that next year the pitching staff might actually be better overall than it was this year, though. Just won't have the big arm like Price. I sort of find that a little hard to believe, but Tim Corbin definitely knows what he's doing, so I'm optimistic.

Sure did hurt to win 52 games this year and not advance past the Regionals. :shame:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah I hated to see that. Granted I'm a Vol fan but I had to pull for the Dores after my guys were done for. Glad to see Vanderbilt sports kick it up a notch finally. They've been doormats (except basketball) for far too long.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
If I lit my sticks with the Xikar lighter for 3 minutes, the gas would be empty each time I tried.

I might take 30 seconds of torching, then lightly blow on the foot and test draw a few times. Usually does the trick. Usually I have to torch the wrapper in spots to even things out.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Very interesting thread. I hav ebeen guilty of rushing the light. Hell I've lit three matches in the wind and over burned with a cheap Bic to get a cigar started.

If I have the time I like to go slow. Toast the foot with cedar for a couple of minutes never applying direct heat. THen slowly draw the heat to the cigar while rotating slowly. Always pays off with a better burn and smoke.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I have the time I'll toast the foot. Like CWS said the extra effort results in a smoke with a better burn, draw and taste. But, sometimes especially outside you've got no choice but to touch the foot with the flame.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
If I lit my sticks with the Xikar lighter for 3 minutes, the gas would be empty each time I tried.

I might take 30 seconds of torching, then lightly blow on the foot and test draw a few times. Usually does the trick. Usually I have to torch the wrapper in spots to even things out.
Same here, about 30 seconds of heat, lightly blow to see what is not lit and then touch it up