What's new

Cheap Cigar review: Oliva Factory Selects Habano in Robusto (5 x 50

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too many good cheap cigar options and for anywhere from $1.27-2.00 per cigar, depending on if its on sale or not, this is a winner.

cigar review pics oliva habano 003.jpg
It taste like an Oliva O and is definitely a second because it was quite ugly with some minor defects. The cigar had a hole in the wrapper, a big ass vein, and the cap was slightly smashed and crooked as fck. This was my second cigar out of the 2 bundles of 15 that i ordered when it was $22.95 for the first bundle of 15 plus $15.00 for the second bundle. The previous cigar i smoked the only problem that i could spot was a couple of large veins.

I've had this cigar sitting in my Xikar 5 cigar travel humidor with a 69% rh Boveda pack for 22 days.

The Oliva Factory Select Habano started off with a light spice, a generic woodiness, and some coffee that complemented the smooth tobacco flavor. The body was a light medium and the smoke was dry but was well balanced with zero harshness. It had that typical Olivia flavor that you get in pretty much all their cigars. The draw was perfect with just a hint of resistance.

After about 15 minutes the body increased to a solid medium while the flavor deepened. The major flavors became oak, coffee, with hints of spice, a light fruit (kinda like a raisin or dried plum) and at times a little creaminess. There was a little bite to the cigar but not enough to really notice it.

The cigar pretty much settled into a nice mix of a rich oak, hints of coffee, a nice fruit (I'm going to go with a prune flavor) with an occasional appearance of a light spice and minor creaminess. The body and strength maxed out at a solid medium that should be no problem for new smokers to handle. It became very consistent in flavor that was well balanced with good smoke output throughout.

The construction and burn were excellent. I never had to correct the burn even though i had to deal with a shifting breeze. The total burn time was 56 minutes.

Here's the burn progression:
cigar review pics oliva habano 004.jpg cigar review pics oliva habano 005.jpg cigar review pics oliva habano 006.jpg cigar review pics oliva habano 007.jpg cigar review pics oliva habano 012.jpg cigar review pics oliva habano 014.jpg cigar review pics oliva habano 015.jpg cigar review pics oliva habano 018.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to see a positive review on these. I bought two bundles myself in the Churchill size. I really like them but the caps are terrible and I find they start to unroll a lot. But for the price it's quality tobacco and I can look past the shitty caps and some cracks in the wrappers. I would not send these to anyone in a trade but a solid smoke for most nights.
Cheers brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see a positive review on these. I bought two bundles myself in the Churchill size. I really like them but the caps are terrible and I find they start to unroll a lot. But for the price it's quality tobacco and I can look past the shitty caps and some cracks in the wrappers. I would not send these to anyone in a trade but a solid smoke for most nights.
Cheers brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its interesting but i never buy anything but Robustos when it comes to bundle cigars. I find the larger sizes construction issues become a big problem with plugged cigars or under filled ones. Robustos are the sweet spot in construction for the most part and its why i stay away from larger sizes when it comes to cigar 2nds.

I haven't had any problems with the caps but most of the cigars i smoked have either small holes in the wrappers or some other blemishes that clearly got them demoted to "factory seconds."

I smoked several more and i'm convinced that its a Series O second because the flavor is basically the same. Oliva O's basically start off with earth, wood, light spice, and some minor dried fruit notes that deepen into a nice leathery oak, some earth, with notes of coffee, dried fruit, and occasionally a little cocoa. It's medium strength/bodied and has a clean finish that is dry.

001.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 006.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg
This specific cigar pictured, the draw was almost perfect (quite a bit of resistance but not excessive) and the flavors were exactly the same as before. These cigars are pretty consistent in terms of flavor but not in construction. The draws also fluctuate from excellent to slightly loose to slightly restricted and the burn tends to be perfect or wonky like in this case. I actually smoked this cigar for an hour and 13 minutes which was surprising for a Robusto.

Right now in Arizona we are getting perfect cigar smoking weather at night. It was actually 68% rh and 58 degrees Fahrenheit when i started smoking this at 8:45 pm and when i finished smoking at 9:58 pm it was down to 54 degrees and 72% rh. No bugs at night anymore and i can actually nub cigars since there is no risk of overheating.