What's new

Cheap DIY Humidor Ideas

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I've been thinking about ideas for a cheap humidor. I don't really need a large one, despite all the suggestions by the helpful BOTL members. I just don't get to smoke all that much...especially in winter :shame:. 15-20 cigars would last me a looooong time. Unless I start smoking more that is lol. Anyway, while at Wal-Mart today I took some time to check out a few possibilities. One that I really like, but may not work out very well is a latchable Sterilite container. The 7 quart "shoebox" size is about perfect, though I may opt for the 15 quart size just in case. The lids seem to fit pretty tightly, but my concern is about how well they'd hold humidity. I thought about putting something on the lip of the container to help it seal better (like some neoprene or silicone type material). I was interested on what some other DIYers thought about this?? The 7 quart container was only a few bucks and the 15 quart only a few more so throw in a $6.00 humidity/temp gauge from Wal-Mart and you could easily have a very functional humidor for $10-12!

I also had another question regarding the humidification media. I was looking around on the Heartfelt website and saw they have sheets of the same material they make their beads from. Has anyone used these? I'll probably still go with the beads, but the sheets are certainly a consideration.

Thanks for the :help:,
Dan

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
cant go wrong with a tupperdor... i was the same way when i started out smokin...all you need is a hygrometer and some humidification ( boveda works great for beginners). if you want some pics just look on my profile

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Thanks Swampfox,

I have considered a tupperdor, but haven't been able to find a suitable (or at least what I consider suitable) sized container. I checked out your profile, what is the size of your tupperdor container? By the way, very stylish after market modifications to it!

Dan

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
That "Lock and Lock" brand of storage container is around 4-10 bucks. Locks all 4 sides and has a built in seal. Go with that throw a humipack in it and your done or a small tube of beads from heartfelt. Hope this helps

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I gotta throw a good word out there for the lock-n-lock containers as well.

I've gone through about 5 of em... not because they don't work, but because they are so danged good and cheap... i hand em out to buddies at the end of a herfor whatever. Esp knowing they don't have anything at home to use for storage. (i've even sent a few as bomb containers to brothers just starting out)

Enjoy!

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
That "Lock and Lock" brand of storage container is around 4-10 bucks. Locks all 4 sides and has a built in seal. Go with that throw a humipack in it and your done or a small tube of beads from heartfelt. Hope this helps
I'll third that! I'd go with one of them as well, and definately check out Ron's sites! Very informative!! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
You say you don't have time to smoke, cigars are one thing that you need to triple your outlook. Once you get started collecting cigars, even if you don't smoke them, you will rapidly build up and out grow your container system.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0

I've gone through about 5 of em... not because they don't work, but because they are so danged good and cheap... i hand em out to buddies at the end of a herfor whatever. Esp knowing they don't have anything at home to use for storage. (i've even sent a few as bomb containers to brothers just starting out)

Enjoy!
Great idea. I have eight boxes of overflow that I am currently storing in a sterilite container with a pound of 65% beads and a fan. Holding very nicely. When you open it the humidity drops very quickly, (well not today with the monsoon), so I just leave it as storage until the cabinet is finished.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I like those lock-n-lock containers. I'll look around and see if I can't find some. Were you able to find them in a local store or did you have to get them online?

Dan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a place where there aren't any Walmarts around. Anyone know if they have these at Target or Bed Bath & Beyond?

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went searching for those Lock n lock containers, they had every type of tupperware but those. What section are they usually in?