What's new

Cheap ebay purchase

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@OneStrangeOne thanks for the link, I ran across that site earlier and using the two yellow dots as a starting point I'm beginning to think it's a rebrand/off-label Purex .... Barrister. Once I get the pipe I'll be able to look at the stem and do some overall measurements. I'm almost sure it will be a smaller pipe intended for quick smokes but no telling without having it in my hands. The original pics had nothing I could use as a frame of reference to make educated guess measurments.

Thanks for the help

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
arrived today
20231013_172410.jpg

20231013_172457.jpg

20231013_173011.jpg

20231013_172540.jpg

I don't think the inside of the pipe has ever been cleaned I almost used a wrench to open it up. What do you suggest? maybe a brass wire brush with 151 rum to clean the tenon and rum soaked pipe cleaners for inside the shank?

What do you use to take out the tooth marks on the stem?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Alcohol and a toothbrush are your best bets. The teeth marks don’t look That bad,,,, toothpaste might help, baking soda is more aggressive, micro-mesh sanding pads will put the shine back on it, a set is not that expensive, you want a set that goes up to 12,000 grit for a true ‘mirror’ shine. Coffee and a paper towel will clean up that rim nicely.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Alwayslit

I didn't smell anything in the bowl but when I do a cold draw I got some weird tastes. I scrubbed the shank and mouthpiece with pipe cleaners and 151 Rum until the pipe cleaners came out clean.

There is a bit of carbon build up in the bowl that should maybe be lightly sanded and then I'll do the salt cleaning, probably re-clean the shank and mouthpiece with Everclear if I'm going to pick some up for the bowl cleaning.

BTW the microgrit pads and red jeweler's rouge brought the stem back to a shiney, almost new condition.

Thanks for the tips

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I haven't tried it yet It's so pretty now I almost want to just let it stay clean a while! The pipe is small so I assume it is best for short smokes

Maybe you guys can tell me how you select a pipe to smoke? Blend then pipe, pipe then blend?

I've been smoking SPC Plum Pudding in a Rossi Billard and with 3/4 bowl it takes over an hour to get to where I tap out.

Do you try to dedicate a pipe to specific blends, to minimize ghosting? Virginia/Perique, English, Balkan, maybe straight Virginias?

I have several Corn cobs I'll probably use for heavily cased aromatics, break them up by flavor profile

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have designated pipes for Latakia, Virginia and aromatics everything else is dependent on what the pipe likes, Trying to smoke something the pipe doesn’t like is an exercise in futility. I came very close to tossing a couple of pipes before I finally realized that.