What's new

Chemicals?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What do you know about the chemicals used in cigar manufacturing? We all know there is a ton of different chemicals in cigarettes and as I understand (talking to a buddy that has been smoking cigars for 10+years) most cigar companies (Cuban and Non Cuban) use different levels of “additives” to keep cigars fresh and enhance flavors. I was told that PG is added to moisten the leaves during the rolling process and it also keeps the cigars fresh Can anyone shed some light on this?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I am not aware of any chemicals added to the tobacco in regards to cigars, especially Cuban.

If they had preservatives added then why do we need to keep them in a specific environment? They must be unreliable preservatives. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well ---that is what I thought but was assured it was a common practice. I'm going with no chemicals until I'm proven otherwise. especially Cuban

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Different chemicals have been used in cigarette mfg for years ... basically to enhance the delivery and absorption of nicotine in the body. This then translated into increased sales because more and more people had to have their daily nic-fix.

Cigars and pipe tobacco are different animals. IMO, smokers of these products do so more for the taste, stress relief and social aspects. To my knowledge, the additives here are only for enhanced flavors or to keep the tobacco from drying out.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
tedski said:
Different chemicals have been used in cigarette mfg for years ... basically to enhance the delivery and absorption of nicotine in the body. This then translated into increased sales because more and more people had to have their daily nic-fix.

Cigars and pipe tobacco are different animals. IMO, smokers of these products do so more for the taste, stress relief and social aspects. To my knowledge, the additives here are only for enhanced flavors or to keep the tobacco from drying out.
Have you watched "The Insider" with Russell Crowe? Its disgusting what these companies did.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'd be interested if anyone can find some hard facts on this...as far as I was aware there were no additives in Cigars...

OK, here are some things I found (use control-F and search for additive):

Link 1

Oliva

Link 3

Cigs vs Cigars

Plenty of links that want to point out how the "additives in cigars are not regulated" *roll eyes emoticon* Who cares if any are actually used or not, THEY AREN'T REGULATED! RUN SCREAMING FOR THE HILLS! *roll eyes emoticon*