What's new

Chest freezer - Am I Crazy?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm getting more and more into wine, and the living room wine rack is not going to cut it anymore.
I was looking at getting a wine cooler for both wine storage and cigar storage. I live in an apartment with no air conditioning which usually isn't a problem in Northern California, but I'd like to have a stable environment for the wine. The cigar storage is a happy by-product and helps sell this to the woman of the house.

I've done a lot of shopping around, and I've got an idea that may be genius or down right stupid.
Instead of a wine fridge, with their limited space and high prices, how about I get an chest-style freezer and hook it up to a temp controller?

Set the temp controller to 60 or 62 will be a happy medium for the cigars and the wine. Throw in some racks, and maybe lay it on its side (so it opens like a fridge), and it's starting to look very doable, at least in my head.
The freezer is much more storage for less money (7 cu ft at $140 new vs 3 cu ft $200 new), and has the happy side effect of being completely square on the inside (unlike a regular fridge). If gotten used (and cleaned, of course), the storage to price ratio would be even better.

I'm aware of the humidity swings that may occur when the compressor kicks in, but all my cigars are in ziplocked boxes and I'm confident the internal RH won't change that much. It doesn't get all that hot (it tops out in my apt at 75 on a really hot day) so the compressor wouldn't come on all that much anyway.

The main reason I'm doing this is to have storage space for wine and for cigars, as my cooler is completely full.
Obviously, I'll have to contemplate humidification, beads or CO will probably be enough along with some fans.
As I see it the only benefit of a wine cooler is the built in racks (which sometimes have to be removed) and the higher temperature, which the temp controller solves.

Am I crazy, or is this a good idea?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Not crazy at all. I read others have done the same thing. Nice of you to work with the lady of the house too. You would be surprised how often the compressor will kick on to keep cool. Seems my wine cooler turns on an awful lot now that summer is in full swing. Does not go over 75 in the office, yet the cooler runs close to 20 minutes on and about 10 minutes off. I have it set on an external temp controller so it is not on all the time. Mine still eating humidity like crazy, but the Oasis is working well to take care of the cigars nicely. Best of luck and be prepared to adapt to whatever happens.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Headbanger said:
Nice of you to work with the lady of the house too.
This is an absolute requirement for domestic tranqulity!
Headbanger said:
You would be surprised how often the compressor will kick on to keep cool. Seems my wine cooler turns on an awful lot now that summer is in full swing. Does not go over 75 in the office, yet the cooler runs close to 20 minutes on and about 10 minutes off. I have it set on an external temp controller so it is not on all the time. Mine still eating humidity like crazy, but the Oasis is working well to take care of the cigars nicely. Best of luck and be prepared to adapt to whatever happens.
Thanks for your input!
I have no allusions that it'll never come on, but I'm not too worried about it. I don't see the point of freaking out about RH in the air, when the RH in the boxes won't swing too much. I remember reading about an experiment somebody carried out where hygrometers were placed inside ziplocked boxes, and during the compressor RH swings, the boxes didn't change much.
A combination of active humidification plus beads may help this out.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
My buddy has a chest freezer for beer that he put a temp controller on. I'll see if I can get some info on it.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Yup, Beads could not keep up by themselves, so the Oasis was needed. I keep the 1 lb of 65% beads on another shelf. Helps keep rh in the sweet spot and I hope prevent spikes in either direction as well.

I would however be careful about the rh being to low for a long time if you do not have an active humidifier system. If your cooler stay low, say 45-50% rh all the time, even sealed boxes will drop to whatever the cooler is kept at. Ron C is also offering a nice Accumonitor Jr. now as well.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll admit I don't know much about wine storage but I do know that the wine storage humidity is much lower than that of cigars. Seeing how you'll be a good 10% more in RH for the cigars sake, do some research to see whether the increase in RH will have any adverse effect on the wine. I suspect the cork could start to develop some type of mold, etc in higher RH's?

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just read about this.......

Too much humidity causes mold, damaging the labels; while too little dries the cork, oxidizing the wine. This is why wine is stored on its side -- to keep the cork wet and the oxygen out.

Although I'm not a huge fan of keeping wine too much on it's side because some corks can impart a very bad taste in the wine.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I store my wine on it's side, and I've read that humidity for wine can be between 55%-75%, so I'm not worried about too much humidity for the wine

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm actually counting on the fact that it's probably better insulated, and might even cool faster than a wine cooler to keep down the compressor cycles.
I know some people already do something similar for wine and beer (especially beer making).

Edit: I definitely think active humidification will be required, just a matter of finding the right balance between that and the beads.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm pretty sure I've read of people using full size fridges Kingston...can't see how this would be much different? :dunno:

As to active humidification??? Not sure...seems to me most of those freezers seal like a sumbitch. Might not need it?

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jwrussell said:
I'm pretty sure I've read of people using full size fridges Kingston...can't see how this would be much different? :dunno:

As to active humidification??? Not sure...seems to me most of those freezers seal like a sumbitch. Might not need it?
It'll be a little trial/error for sure. I may try it with some wine, empty boxes, and maybe some machine made cheap cigars to see how the RH swings are.
The reason I didn't want a fridge is the freezer is deeper instead of taller and fridges have all the extra crap on teh doors that I'm not sure can be removed.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I use a chest freezer with a temp contoller, it's very humid in there. I've never tested it but there is always moisture on the interior walls and the floor. I can't imagine you would need to humidify it.

I think it would be too humid to keep cigars in. When I have boxes in there, the cardboard gets very soft from how humid it is.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Seamus said:
I use a chest freezer with a temp contoller, it's very humid in there. I've never tested it but there is always moisture on the interior walls and the floor. I can't imagine you would need to humidify it.

I think it would be too humid to keep cigars in. When I have boxes in there, the cardboard gets very soft from how humid it is.
What temp do you have set on?
What's the ambient humidity?
Do you have any humidification in there?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've had it at different temps ranging from 30-70 but most of the time about 40. I can't recall how humid it had at the different temps but I don't recall it ever not being humid. As far as environmental conditions, they vary but figure conditioned space in NJ. No humidification.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I don't think you can run a chest freezer while it is sitting on it's side ... the compressor is not designed to operate that way.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Just picked up the Chest Freezer and the Johnson Temp controller.
It's plugged in and starting to cool. Just waiting on the Cigar Oasis to arrive before I put any cigars in there.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Damn, what a nice view Sermed! More pics please! LOL...Oh and the freezer looks good too.