What's new

Children toy picks

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
So as my daughter gets older, I'm out searching for better toys. Toys that actually are fun but help her learn basic things. I'm trying to stay away from the whole iPad thing, I know that it's part of the time. So she needs to learn it, but I don't want it to be like candy, and have her want the iPad all the time. I see kids with it all the time, my wife and I make it a habit to try and put the phones away when around her.

So my question for you guys, what toys do you guys use to play with the little ones to learn shapes, numbers, letters, etc.. With out using iPads and such.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I like those wood boards with shape cutouts, animal cutouts, etc. I also do the stuffed animals and name/sound association. My daughter has picked up pretty quickly. I alsways make a point to read to her a lot. She loves it and sits in my lap whenever I grab a book. We also like the push around carts with the animal shapes, shapes, numbers, etc.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Discovery toys has a lot of good stuff for that kind of thing. Also, do some research on Montessori stuff, a lot of things they use in the Montessori schools are great for at home. We use a lot of things like a small box lit with sand, for practicing writing and drawing shapes, there are flashcards with sandpaper cutouts for tracing how to write letters and numbers, stuff like that.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I always make a point to read to her a lot. She loves it and sits in my lap whenever I grab a book.
This x1000. It helps them learn language skills, increases attention span, helps with bonding, etc etc etc. So many benefits, I wish more people would take the time to sit and read to their kids.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
But for toys, ours really like the LeapFrog fridge magnet sets that say the letters (or words that start with) when you put them in the included base. And some of them actually have a spot for three letters so you can start making small words as they progress.
Also serves double duty as the sets we have are in four different colors, so we can work on grouping similar items and pointing out ones that don't belong in groups. Getting a head start building a tendency toward racism and exclusionary mentalities for the uncool kids in highschool. (I'm kidding!)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I grew up playing board games so when id watch my nieces and nephews I played board games with them. Sure candy land and chutes and ladders are fine but The company HABA makes some really good ones. The favorites were

My first orchard https://www.amazon.com/Haba-My-very-first-games/dp/B004BW8TYC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465511228&sr=8-2&keywords=HABA+orchard

Animal upon Animal https://www.amazon.com/HABA-3678-Haba-Animal-Upon/dp/B001IM4CSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1465510993&sr=1-1&keywords=animal+upon+animal

Of course they sometimes would just use the pieces as regular toys