What's new

"Christmas Ales" Ranked

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Like colored lights, carols and official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifles, we don’t like to talk about Christmas beers until Thanksgiving is out of the way. Sure, we’ll drink them year-round if you’re offering, but this is truly the season for the dark, malty, potent holiday beers that make our noël so joyeux.

We bought 11 beers at Decatur’s wonderful craft beer store, Ale Yeah so our selection was only limited to breweries that distribute in Georgia. Still, that left some amazing Christmas ales. Here they are, ranked for your holiday shopping convenience.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2011/11/11-christmas-ales-ranked.html

Last edited by a moderator:

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
As a self-proclaimed lover of Hops (but not JUST hops) I can relate to them not being seen as "true" Christmas ales....although that doesn't change my enjoyment of them. I've had several on this list (11, 10, 9, 6, 5, and 2)...and agree that the Rogue is by far the least enjoyable of the bunch. I remember it being watered down, and one of the few Rogue offerings I just haven't liked all that much.

The Celebration and the Lagunitas fall into a similar category for me - Seasonal goodness for those who appreciate hops, but they'll be in my fridge at least until 2012 ;).

I never really got the fanfare for Anchor however, it just never did much for me. For a similar style I'd much rather have the Deschutes Jubel Ale...but maybe that's "local" prejudice talking.

The Port Brewing Santas helper is good (at least last years what)...but I recall it being VERY dark, heavy, and full. Almost too much even....and there are other RIS that I prefer as a result, but since it's a seasonal, all stout lovers should give it a try.

The Corsendonk i've had, albeit a couple years ago now, and really need to revisit....but the one on this list I'll most likely be seeking out....is that St. Bernadus. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Thanks for posting Larry....Love Xmas seasonals brews!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
No Local prejudice needed. Deshutes makes some fine beer. Wish they distributed in PA, but I have it every couple years when in CO. Love the Black Butte.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
As a self-proclaimed lover of Hops (but not JUST hops) I can relate to them not being seen as "true" Christmas ales....although that doesn't change my enjoyment of them. I've had several on this list (11, 10, 9, 6, 5, and 2)...and agree that the Rogue is by far the least enjoyable of the bunch. I remember it being watered down, and one of the few Rogue offerings I just haven't liked all that much.

The Celebration and the Lagunitas fall into a similar category for me - Seasonal goodness for those who appreciate hops, but they'll be in my fridge at least until 2012 ;).

I never really got the fanfare for Anchor however, it just never did much for me. For a similar style I'd much rather have the Deschutes Jubel Ale...but maybe that's "local" prejudice talking.

The Port Brewing Santas helper is good (at least last years what)...but I recall it being VERY dark, heavy, and full. Almost too much even....and there are other RIS that I prefer as a result, but since it's a seasonal, all stout lovers should give it a try.

The Corsendonk i've had, albeit a couple years ago now, and really need to revisit....but the one on this list I'll most likely be seeking out....is that St. Bernadus. Looks and sounds fantastic.

Thanks for posting Larry....Love Xmas seasonals brews!
Now that my friend is what I'm looking for! :thumbsup:

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Now that my friend is what I'm looking for! :thumbsup:
Well if it's like it was last year, I doubt you'll be disappointed then Larry. I remember thinking to myself it was damn near milkshake consistency..lol....but that may be a mild exaggeration as a result of hops, water & yeast occupying many of my brain cells. :bottle:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Well if it's like it was last year, I doubt you'll be disappointed then Larry. I remember thinking to myself it was damn near milkshake consistency..lol....but that may be a mild exaggeration as a result of hops, water & yeast occupying many of my brain cells. :bottle:
nope. you are right... these guys always have a high viscosity, year after year. yum.