What's new

Chromebook left in rain...some keys don't work. Advice.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I left my Samsung Chromebook open and exposed to rain for about 5 minutes. I let it dry overnight. Some of the number keys are now unresponsive and few of the other keys are dead, but everything else is fine. Should I send this laptop in for repairs, or is it not worth it? I don't have any extended warranty or anything like that. It would cost about four hundred and fifty bucks to replace. It is 5 months old. Thanks for any advice.

I tried to ask this question in a Samsung forum, but to register, a birth date was required and I couldn't enter the numbers. What a cluster. lol

Sincerely,

The idiot who left his laptop in the rain.

Last edited:

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I suggest first to take the battery out and try letting it sit in a bag of uncooked rice for a day or so.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
5hrs room temp isnt long enough
place on a plate on top rack in oven @ 150 i.e. lowest setting over at least 5hrs

good luck

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks guys. I don't have any rice, so I'll try the oven method. I hope my oven's temps are true...but it definitely can't hurt to try.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Thanks guys. I don't have any rice, so I'll try the oven method. I hope my oven's temps are true...but it definitely can't hurt to try.
I have never tried it, but I would be very careful with putting it in the oven, not only can excess heat damage electronics and have adverse effects on hard drives, the plastic could also warp or melt. Not doubting D Quintero, just be careful

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I hear ya brother. But, I have little to lose honestly. It's unusable like this. If I send it in for repair, it's likely to cost too much. I think I'll use a thermometer to test the oven temp first. Thanks again for the advice. Also, I may just let it sit for another couple days. I dunno.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Battery out and let it sit for at least a whole day. Had a similar experience with an Xbox controller, took about 12 hours before it started working again.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Id take the keyboard out. It's a rubber membrane under it and there could be water trapped that's shorting it out. Keyboards come out pretty easy

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just learned that the battery installed in Samsung Chromebooks is not accessible by the user. That kills the oven method, i think. I'll let it rest with the top open. My neighbor has a bag of Costco rice and a hair dryer. You guys are the best. Thanks a million.

Schmec, My condolences, brother. My problems with the laptop are absolutely nothing compared to what has happened to your community. My heart is with you all.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just learned that the battery installed in Samsung Chromebooks is not accessible by the user. That kills the oven method, i think. I'll let it rest with the top open. My neighbor has a bag of Costco rice and a hair dryer. You guys are the best. Thanks a million.

Schmec, My condolences, brother. My problems with the laptop are absolutely nothing compared to what has happened to your community. My heart is with you all.
Thanks man.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I suggest first to take the battery out and try letting it sit in a bag of uncooked rice for a day or so.
This work well for me on a phone that fell in the toilet (don't ask lol) I removed as much of the case as I could and it took about 3 days but it work for quite a while afterwards.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
update: I took it to a very reputable computer repair shop nearby. My new buddy, Mr. Hoon, took it apart and could not salvage the keyboard. A new keyboard was not available, and a refurb keyboard was more than half the price of the Chromebook, which is a somewhat weak platform, regardless. And, he could not guarantee anything, which is understandable. This was a $449 mistake for me.

Next time the sky is overcast, and it's a bit chilly (um, looks like rain, perhaps?), I'm not gonna go take a piss and get distracted with Sportscenter (which is what happened here).

I D I O T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!