What's new

CI: good or bad for the cigar-buying experience?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Now I know most of you are avid supporters of Cigars Internationals' super stores and online presence, and with good reason. There's something to be said for the ease of access, variety of selection, low pricing and so on associated with the massive retailer, but what's the real cost? For me, personally, and this is just the opinion of one dude on the internet, the cigar buying experience has always been just as much about the personal relationship between tobacconist and customer as fair pricing for a good cigar. This is something I've only truly experienced through local brick and mortar shops, and I'm not sure I could purchase cigars any other way.

Because of the nature of its sheer size, manufacturers LOVE CI, it's a sure fire way to push volume, especially via events and in store promotions. The recent DE event is a perfect example. Every DE product imaginable was available to you as the customer during this event, including FIFTY, yes, FIFTY, boxes of the UC piggies. To my knowledge there aren't any other shops in the region, or country, that were given access to this smoke. That's all good and dandy, but it bottle necks the availability to country-wide smokers who would love to enjoy that stick. I just envision people lined up at the door in mob fashion similar to a Walmart on black Friday to score these products at a couple cents less than "the other guys"

As a customer, a solid relationship between yourself and your local tobacconist opens the door for you to try new things, based on what you enjoy, that you might not have ever bothered to try without the recommendation from someone who knows what you like to smoke. Its that personal give and take that's driven me to expand my pallet and find a multitude of cigars that I enjoy thoroughly that I might not have ever found otherwise. And about the price. I challenge you to find a B&M that, once you've established yourself as a friendly returning customer, won't cut you a deal on cigars and/or order sticks you're having a hard time finding otherwise.

To umbrella the whole thing, the more I see places like CI growing, and pairing with places like Cabelas, it's hard not to see the "Walmart mentality" sweeping the cigar industry. And, again, IN MY OPINION, takes a good chunk of the comradery and trust and personalization out of the purchasing experience and just chucks it out the window.

Thoughts?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Could say a lot on the subject. Perhaps later.

For now, my shorter answer is: very few B&Ms leave me feeling warm and fuzzy inside.
-Service often sucks, especially towards the younger demographics.
-Prices can be outrageous (ESPECIALLY in states with high tobacco taxes).
-Selections are frequently limited. The employees often try to push things that make them the most money. I've also been in stores where anybody could buy core Fuente lines, RyJs, etc, but the higher end smokes were hidden and reserved for select customers.

^It can be one, or any combination of the above.

Additionally, I have met VERY few tobacconists who are, you know, actually tobacconists. Most shop employees I encounter are just dudes doing it for the paycheck. They know very little, and are of no use to people except for new smokers.

To counter the "Walmart mentality", B&Ms run off the "Starbucks/Nike mentality." They're not selling you products, they're selling you an experience. I don't have a problem with either, but if you're going to take issue with the Walmart method... you should be taking issue with the Starbucks method too.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I think that if I was a B&M owner/employee, I'd probably have more empathy for your thoughts.

As a customer, I make informed choices and those choices sometimes involve Amazon, Walmart, and 'gasp', yes, even Famous and CI.

I patronize my locals, but only when they offer positive experiences that I cannot get from the big box guys; personalized service, comraderie, place to hang out, etc.....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

For now, my shorter answer is: very few B&Ms leave me feeling warm and fuzzy inside.
-Selections are frequently limited. The employees often try to push things that make them the most money. I've also been in stores where anybody could buy core Fuente lines, RyJs, etc, but the higher end smokes were hidden and reserved for select customers.

Additionally, I have met VERY few tobacconists who are, you know, actually tobacconists. Most shop employees I encounter are just dudes doing it for the paycheck. They know very little, and are of no use to people except for new smokers.

To counter the "Walmart mentality", B&Ms run off the "Starbucks/Nike mentality." They're not selling you products, they're selling you an experience. I don't have a problem with either, but if you're going to take issue with the Walmart method... you should be taking issue with the Starbucks method too.
Maybe I'm lucky with the B&M I've gotten cozy with, but it took me a while to find the right one. There are plenty of shops doing exactly what you've stated, but also plenty of honest men running honest shops in a relatively honest industry. I'm only 21 myself and I've been coming here since I was 19 and I've experienced nothing but enthusiasm from employees looking to expand my knowledge and taste. They'll even ship to me out of state when I'm not around.

I guess I'm just saying its worth the legwork to find your favorite shop.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

Maybe I'm lucky with the B&M I've gotten cozy with, but it took me a while to find the right one. There are plenty of shops doing exactly what you've stated, but also plenty of honest men running honest shops in a relatively honest industry. I'm only 21 myself and I've been coming here since I was 19 and I've experienced nothing but enthusiasm from employees looking to expand my knowledge and taste. They'll even ship to me out of state when I'm not around.

I guess I'm just saying its worth the legwork to find your favorite shop.
That assumes there is one to be found which is close enough to warrant return trips. Some guys on here have one or two options... Nada mas.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I wouldn't give to have choices when it comes to b&m. I have 2 places in my area to choose from, and both have a very limited selection. If I want to hit up a real cigar shop I have to drive close to 100 miles.

Online is pretty much my only option for variety. Which sucks because I can't just buy 1 stick to try and find out if I like it. I've got a lot of 5 packs that I bought that were less than delicious.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I am part of the " younger demographic" and can get really pissed off with the service at some B&Ms, But at the same time, I think its about finding the right shop. Cigar King in Scottsdale Arizona, i cant give them enough props, especially how they treat their customers. That being said, I have strayed away from sites like CI and Famous Smoke and Thompson, mainly because its a more enjoyable experience to go to a shop buy a bunch of awesome smokes, some at the recommendations of your tobacconist, and have the choice to smoke one there. You just cant get that online.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Supporting your local B&M is great in theory but not always practical in the real world for those of us who live in smaller towns and "tobacco hostile" states.

The nearest cigar lounge to me is roughly 100 miles away. I have one B&M in my town (yes one) that is not so much a B&M as it is a head shop. They have Macanudos, low end Fuentes, some basic RyJ stuff, Acids and a lot of private label and other junk in their humidor. The employees can recommend a good bong or meth pipe but have no clue when it comes to a premium cigar. Add 70% Minnesota cigar taxes to the mix and it becomes REAL easy for me to purchase online.

I try to purchase from the site sponsors here as my first priority but places like Famous, CI and even (gasp) Thompson still see a fair amount of my cigar budget.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thoughts?
Well, to just answer that part-I think someone is cranky they didn't get a UC Pig. That's what I take away from your post, at least.
I actually got a few from a box split that came from the original release from Holland, but I can see how you'd think that!

Just one example of many. Its easy for manufacturers to feed into the big box market because it's a guaranteed sell

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I run a B&M and agree with a lot of the sentiments on both sides of the argument. I'm constantly trying to cultivate that "warm and fuzzy" feeling with customers to build a loyal base. It's an uphill climb. Who wants to spend extra gas and pay more for a similar product?

I do a lot of events. Manufacturers kick in enough goods that an event deal rivals any online price.

I always try to have something new on the shelf every month. This is not as easy as you think, but people want to know what's new and unfortunately all of it is available online, so I have to have some of it.

Kick a free cigar here and there to say thank you. I also fix or trade out broken lighters. Most importantly, just being friendly, knowledgable, and building a relationship makes guys want to support our shop. I do my homework and feature brands that are price protected or B&M only. This helps too.

Without all that, no question, an online or catalog company would be the preferred choice if I were a customer. Someone mentioned Cigar King as a kickass B&M but they're also a great mail order option. I have to maintain my A game to compete!

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
The very high NY tabacco tax is the main reason I try to not go to my local B&M. The one closer to my job is a phenomenal place but taxes kill me. NY tabacco tax is 75% if I remember correctly.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I run a B&M and agree with a lot of the sentiments on both sides of the argument. I'm constantly trying to cultivate that "warm and fuzzy" feeling with customers to build a loyal base. It's an uphill climb. Who wants to spend extra gas and pay more for a similar product?

I do a lot of events. Manufacturers kick in enough goods that an event deal rivals any online price.

I always try to have something new on the shelf every month. This is not as easy as you think, but people want to know what's new and unfortunately all of it is available online, so I have to have some of it.

Kick a free cigar here and there to say thank you. I also fix or trade out broken lighters. Most importantly, just being friendly, knowledgable, and building a relationship makes guys want to support our shop. I do my homework and feature brands that are price protected or B&M only. This helps too.

Without all that, no question, an online or catalog company would be the preferred choice if I were a customer. Someone mentioned Cigar King as a kickass B&M but they're also a great mail order option. I have to maintain my A game to compete!
If you did online orders as well would you be able to offer a lower price than you do inside of your B&M shop and still yield a profit?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

First of all, what a great attitude for a B&M owner to have. In WA, it's hard to be a B&M. You're not allowed to have a smoking lounge unless you're on reservation land. Taxes are high, rent is high, and cost of living is high. So to make it, you really do need to be on your A game! It sounds like you have a good pulse on what customer want and need out of a B&M. Where is your shop located? I'd love to get out there sometime, though I don't make it north all that often.

To the OPs question, I personally think online superstores are a mixed blessing for the industry. Without them, a lot of cigar makers would sell a lot less product, which means less money to lobby for tobacco rights, less money to put into research and development of new product, etc. I would have maybe a third to a quarter of the stash I have now if it weren't for online shops. I try to support smaller operations when I do buy online. I tend to place orders with online places that also have B&M locations, like Nice Ash.

I think there's plenty of room in the industry for both superstores and little ships, just as there's room for WalMart and mom-and-pop grocers. My wife can buy yarn cheaper online, but she goes down to the local shop to talk with the ladies and knit in their rockers. I can buy beef really cheaply at WalMart, but I choose to buy it from a local farmer who grass-feeds. I could buy cigars only online, but I choose to frequent my lounge, Smokey Joes, whenever possible because smoking is more fun in good company in a great atmosphere.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I shop both. Like you said you can't beat going to your local B&M and they know your name what you like to smoke etc. Plus hanging out watching a game talking to the fellas. Online on the other hand you can pick up some great deals and bundles etc. So on my opinion a mix of both can be a good thing.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

First of all, what a great attitude for a B&M owner to have. In WA, it's hard to be a B&M. You're not allowed to have a smoking lounge unless you're on reservation land. Taxes are high, rent is high, and cost of living is high. So to make it, you really do need to be on your A game! It sounds like you have a good pulse on what customer want and need out of a B&M. Where is your shop located? I'd love to get out there sometime, though I don't make it north all that often.

To the OPs question, I personally think online superstores are a mixed blessing for the industry. Without them, a lot of cigar makers would sell a lot less product, which means less money to lobby for tobacco rights, less money to put into research and development of new product, etc. I would have maybe a third to a quarter of the stash I have now if it weren't for online shops. I try to support smaller operations when I do buy online. I tend to place orders with online places that also have B&M locations, like Nice Ash.

I think there's plenty of room in the industry for both superstores and little ships, just as there's room for WalMart and mom-and-pop grocers. My wife can buy yarn cheaper online, but she goes down to the local shop to talk with the ladies and knit in their rockers. I can buy beef really cheaply at WalMart, but I choose to buy it from a local farmer who grass-feeds. I could buy cigars only online, but I choose to frequent my lounge, Smokey Joes, whenever possible because smoking is more fun in good company in a great atmosphere.
I can just clearly see one of these super stores moving into my state and putting a lot of my local shops out of business. Which would be too bad, I'd hate to see the love of money trump the love for cigars in this fine, cigar friendly state