What's new

CI Legend - Yellow Label

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, I just smoked one of these that I had gotten in my Pepin sampler and I have to say that I wasn't impressed. I'm a new found fan of Pepin, but I won't be going back to the CI brand that they offer. Has anyone else had any positive or negative feed back on this line. I'm considering this smoke as not a true Pepin since it is only rolled for CI, so it is certainly not changing my opinion on my favorite line of NCs. (Pepin of course ;-)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I saw the CI legends sampler that had cigars rolled just for CI but from the Oliva Family, Rocky P, DPG and several others. I was worried that they might not be any good for some reason. But then again why would these guys put thier names on a shity stick? I was in the air on it, but with a couple of Pepin's El centurions coming my way soon I'm glad to wait for those.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have yet to try the yellow label, but my experience with the copper (Drew) was, well, "uggh"... Like smoking a slice of cherry pie while smelling cherry- scented car air freshener and sucking a cherry- flavored Halls cough-drop... But seeing as I'm not so big on the 'cherry' thing, it wasn't quite to my tastes... I do like the Rolando Reyes stick, but I've heard mixed reviews on that one, so maybe it's not to everyone's liking. I recall it being the green label, but may be mistaken.
Just my 2 cents,
ZugbugPete

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
CI asked each roller to create the best cigar they could for five dollars. In this case, you get what you pay for, an OK five dollar cigar. IMO.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, the best CI Legends Series blend is the Orange Label from Rocky Patel. It's the only one that I smoke, but I haven't tried the Yellow yet. I am also a fan of many of the Don Pepin blends. However, I wouldn't let the fact that a cigar is a store brand prevent me from viewing it as a true Don Pepin. Two of my current favorites are Holt's Connoisseurs and Holt's Fumadore's, both of which are made for Holt's by Don Pepin Garcia.

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMO, the best CI Legends Series blend is the Orange Label from Rocky Patel. It's the only one that I smoke, but I haven't tried the Yellow yet. I am also a fan of many of the Don Pepin blends. However, I wouldn't let the fact that a cigar is a store brand prevent me from viewing it as a true Don Pepin. Two of my current favorites are Holt's Connoisseurs and Holt's Fumadore's, both of which are made for Holt's by Don Pepin Garcia.
Ahhh, I'll have to look into those smokes. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be checking out Holts now....

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ahhh, I'll have to look into those smokes. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be checking out Holts now....
I tried boxes of the Connisuer (sp) in two sizes and was not overly impressed. Wrapper issues and just not the Pepin punch I look for. Closer to the JFR than anything I can put my figer on.

While at Holts, try the the Old Henry which is a Pepin cigar.I'm on my fourth box of the Old Henry robustos. The Pepin Fmadores also were a great stick at a great value. Headbanger got me going on those.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I have the CI Legends yellow Pepin and other is the blue Matasa. I heard mixed reviews for most of these with more reviews toward the negative side. I want to age them till the 1 year mark to better access and make up my own mind.

Old Henry from Holt's been too strong for me and overpowered the flavor.

Fumadores from Holt's are very good for the $2.00 price and I would recommend them if you like a medium strength Pepin product.

Connoisseur by Holt's, the two I tried were very fresh. Smoked and tasted like wet cardboard with little redeeming qualities.

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have the CI Legends yellow Pepin and other is the blue Matasa. I heard mixed reviews for most of these with more reviews toward the negative side. I want to age them till the 1 year mark to better access and make up my own mind.

Old Henry from Holt's been too strong for me and overpowered the flavor.

Fumadores from Holt's are very good for the $2.00 price and I would recommend them if you like a medium strength Pepin product.

Connoisseur by Holt's, the two I tried were very fresh. Smoked and tasted like wet cardboard with little redeeming qualities.
Sounds good, thanks to you and CWS my next purchase is going to be made at holts. I'll let you guys know what I pick up and how they taste :) Thanks for all the info...This place is awesome!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
OK so it has been a while since I tried a Legends Yellow Label, (thanks Steve) and after this thread figured why not one more time. A dark tea colored wrapper with some very apparent veins. No pre-light taste to speak off. First and foremost, this is not a Tatuaje, Blue Label or Black label Pepin. It was mild to medium. The cigar was fairly loose with a full open draw. I have found this on most of the Legend lines. The first flavor I could identify was a little nutty sweetness. maybe slightly like a cashew. This remained but did not grow. There was no power surge like many of the Pepins but a nice moderate smoke. I left about a quarter unsmoked. I could see this as a breakfast cigar although I like more flavor changes like the Cuesta Rey Centinario Sun grown. I was definitely too mild after dinner. I was left wanting something more so I lit a Pepin Black Label belicoso after. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Now that's a cigar.