What's new

Cigar Aficionado Discussion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's just a shame because they are the most popular cigar magazine that I know of. You always hear the same opinions though - Cigar Aficionado just sucks. I find a lot of their ratings hard to believe too. A 95 for the Rocky Patel Decade Torpedo?? No way. I think it's all paid. They do consistently rate Padrons at the top of the list and that I agree with. I don't agree with the ratings on the Opus X though - those cigars are hugely overrated.

This article and the editors arrogant response really got me thinking about what they're doing over there. Money whores :)

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Well, that's just a shame because they are the most popular cigar magazine that I know of. You always hear the same opinions though - Cigar Aficionado just sucks. I find a lot of their ratings hard to believe too. A 95 for the Rocky Patel Decade Torpedo?? No way. I think it's all paid. They do consistently rate Padrons at the top of the list and that I agree with. I don't agree with the ratings on the Opus X though - those cigars are hugely overrated.

This article and the editors arrogant response really got me thinking about what they're doing over there. Money whores :)
Everything is relative and who knows how many cigars they actually review and cut before it goes to print.

I remember reading somewhere on cA that they send someone out to a B&M and have them pick several cigars for reviews...bands come off and numbers assigned. The posting left a lot of ambiguity towards how cigars were selected to smoke or purchase. It seemed more like misdirection off of the reviewers and back to the person in charge of getting the cigars.

(Given the high probability that the cigars bought are from a shopping list given to the errand boy/girl, they will never see a lame cigar hit the review section.)

I've bought several cigars from by B&M that outright sucked so I don't think that they are being completely honest with the selection process.

Sorry for the threadjack in your intro thread Jarrod:razz:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The sad part is I really like CA. I look orward to reading it each time. I find the reviews comical but have used them to try cigars that I really like. I probably fit their profile, more so if I drank but alas I will just have to drool over the cars and watches.