What's new

Cigar Aficionado..........opinion

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I will add, however, that the products (cigars and other stuff) highlighted in the magazine typically cost far more than I could ever afford. But it is fun to read about high end products - some of them I wish I could own, most I don't but I still enjoy looking at them.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

the_bhoop

Keep Calm Cigar On
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't mind reading C.A. and never really pay that close of attention to their ratings but I do read them. Plus, I'm sure this is an international magazine so it frustrates me more as they rate cuban cigars all the time and currently aren't allowed here in the US. But anyway, as mentioned in earlier posts, we go by our own palette. Or maybe following a fellow BOTL here. It's a little entertainment to see full page ad's of high end watches and alcohol that I'll probably never drink or own unless I hit the big powerball jackpot. After all, they do consider it the "Good Life" magazine right??? I enjoy reading the whiskey advocate magazine too. But I don't want to get off topic here.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
87% of C.A turned into a big dick contest with Marvin Shanken and his millionaire buddies over the years. Pretty much when CIGAR became almost invisible on the cover, and Aficionado became the main focus. This was reason I quit getting it back in the early 2000's when cigars were no longer the focus and intent of the magazine. When the hell am I going to book a flight on Jet Blue and buy a one of a kind fountain pen...get bent. I ONLY have it now because of the hook up on the free subscription posted earlier. The remaining 13% contains topics that I might care about, but out of the whole magazine, I might read 2 articles tops/issue. But that's just my opinion.

T

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Biased a bit, maybe. But certainly not handing out a 93 rating to an advertiser's 77-rated cigar!
And high ratings to CC's aren't easily explained by catering to big advertising dollar budgets.
Those who believe the ratings are rigged are free to ignore them and CA in general. Or take
them with a "pound of salt," unless, of course CA's evaluation happens to coincide with mine,
in which case the reviewer is truly brilliant.
Can BOTL be considered unbiased when we accept financial support from industry suppliers??
I like to think so!
The founders are not the ones doing reviews and posting them. There is nothing to be biased or unbiased about. They pay and get advertisement on the site.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The magazine for me was for the elite in the world, way to many advertising and not realistic except for anyone but the extremely rich or the pretend rich. The ratings I believe to be true and fair, I have read and believe they do all there tasting blind. Meaning no labels. They purchase everything retail for testing as well. A person may visually have a guess in their mind looking but that is part if the experience/tasting anyway which would affect your experience smoking it. On their forum they are accused of this as well and the editors have said they have bad and good ratings for advertisers, talk of blind testing only and seem pretty honest about it, Maybe a cigar company that got a bad rating is just bitter and won't advertise and vice-versa.
Cigar snob I have subscribed and paid for twice, as far as I know, over the last few years and have never received a magazine or a response from an email.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I just subscribed three months ago. I love reading it, I do feel it could be more inforitive when it comes to new products. That being said I feel that they are only concerned with finding the #1 cigar of the year and one could expect that the top 25 cigars of the year are going to be top end. But not always 8.85 for the aging room f55 #2

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I actually don't mind reading it, but its more for the regal, better half feeling I get from reading about all these lovely things that I will never be able to afford.

In terms of cigar ratings, what I enjoy couldn't be more different, but I am no expert so i'm not disagreeing, just know I don't appreciate the same smokes they do!

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I have been a CA member since the mid to late 90's , Yes the stuff in the mag. is high priced , lots of BS for articles , but still fun to read and laugh at what I'd never buy or even think about buying , I will continue to read it, and to get the Mag. But I also read other Cigar Mags, ie Cigar Snob, Cigar Press and a few other, Its just reading martial......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any value in older copies of Cigar Aficionado? doing some spring cleaning and I have found a lot of old copies from the early 90s