What's new

Cigar Auctions?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I just won a bid on cigar.com the other day. For a box of Perdomo Slow Aged Cigars. I won the lot for $16 well below MSRP. Cigarbid is run by Cigar International, a respected and trustworthy web site, and also I guess they have actual stores to from what I have heard. But Here is my question, How is CI capable of running an auction like that, with brands from Fuente, to Greycliff, to Gurhka and Perdomo and have lots won for way under MSRP. Is there really that large of a mark up on cigars from wholesale to retail? I won a 3 pack of Perdomo's Ediction De Silvo cigars some months back and I won the pack for 29 dollars. When I compared the single stick price in several other websites I found single sticks ran for over 20 dollars each. I guess I'm lost on how the cigar auctions work or how they can do what they do too. I guess thinking about it, that Carlito's Way sampler from Holt's Cigar I got was the same way. 50 bucks from Holt's, but retail on the sticks seperatly were over 135 dollars roughly. How does it all work?????

:scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I'm really not sure.

I would guess that they buy at such a huge bulk quantity that they get a very good price compared to a single B&M.

:dunno:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
CI buys in bulk, they buy leftovers, discontinued cigars, seconds, factory overruns anything to keep costs down. They will buy evrything a company has in a run to get a better price. They are almost completely mail order with an outlet store on Bethlehm , PA. They still a lot of yard gars and make money at it.

You bought the Carlitos way sampler and some Edicion de Silvio. So you really like them and when you go looking for them you will find them on CI. Still a good price but more than you paid in the beginning. In the wine and drug trade its called "a taste". You come back for more at market prices.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I thought that too, but Damn some of the lots go for so cheap. I just don't understand how they do it and make money on it. I guess I don't know but I'm addicted to it..

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
You bought the Carlitos way sampler and some Edicion de Silvio. So you really like them and when you go looking for them you will find them on CI. Still a good price but more than you paid in the beginning. In the wine and drug trade its called "a taste". You come back for more at market prices.[/QUOTE]

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that. But I understand the money making on the yard gars. but what about the Opus X and the Real high end cigars that walk out of there way cheap?

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
well, I've never seen anything Fuente go for less than what they sell it on CI.
People WAAAAY overbid on so much, and as mentioned, they sell a ton of crap that they make money off of.

however, there are a lot of good deals to be had, I've won more than my share.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
check out the opus X on cigarbid, the Robustos, right now, are going for 27 bucks a piece. They buy them for what? 7 dollars a piece?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
that's what I'm saying is there really that much of a mark up on cigars today?
from let's say Fuente factory to retail store?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
MSRP is only a guideline. Cigar shops pay 70% or less of that price, depending on the volume of cigars they buy. CI created the auction site to increase the volume of products they sell, which drives down the prices they pay. It's the same system that made Walmart so big and profitable.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
MSRP is only a guideline. Cigar shops pay 70% or less of that price, depending on the volume of cigars they buy. CI created the auction site to increase the volume of products they sell, which drives down the prices they pay. It's the same system that made Walmart so big and profitable.
Exactly. Walmart is an excellent example.

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I buy about 70% of my cigars on auction sites, about $150/month, and have only had to return one fiver for poor quality. I am totally enjoying each and every cigar, but especially the average cost per cigar which I have spent over the past years. I guess the same advice applies here as does the advice we give all newcomers who ask if a certain cigar is a good one or not..i.e...If they do it for you, then it's a good cigar and if you can save money at it, then more power to you. I personally don't care how they do it. I do care about smoking a fine cigar at a great price though.

I guess one could buy a five pack on cbid and the same at your local b&m and give it ye olde field test.

Good luck with it Donk

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Nah. I have bought off many sites. C Bid is the same quality as CI. You have found the loop hole in the system. Like people that clip coupons. It can be done with patience. You just proved it. I rarely buy anything unless its on special. Its not the norm. Marketing people have proven that people will buy full price.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I just won a bid on cigar.com the other day. For a box of Perdomo Slow Aged Cigars. I won the lot for $16 well below MSRP. Cigarbid is run by Cigar International, a respected and trustworthy web site, and also I guess they have actual stores to from what I have heard. But Here is my question, How is CI capable of running an auction like that, with brands from Fuente, to Greycliff, to Gurhka and Perdomo and have lots won for way under MSRP. Is there really that large of a mark up on cigars from wholesale to retail? I won a 3 pack of Perdomo's Ediction De Silvo cigars some months back and I won the pack for 29 dollars. When I compared the single stick price in several other websites I found single sticks ran for over 20 dollars each. I guess I'm lost on how the cigar auctions work or how they can do what they do too. I guess thinking about it, that Carlito's Way sampler from Holt's Cigar I got was the same way. 50 bucks from Holt's, but retail on the sticks seperatly were over 135 dollars roughly. How does it all work?????

:scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe :scratchhe
I have made 90% of my purchases from auctions and with c-bid I find that alot of times you get misshaped, off-color, and I imagine the stuff they couldn't normally sell via regular catolog for one reason or another. Misshaped or off color still smokes basically the same.
I rarely get cigars in the box like in the picture, if ever, generally they are loose, so they have probably been picked thru and put aside as not able to be sold full price again,for one reason or the other.

I got the slow-aged perdomo and had one... (see my post from last week, lol) and even though it was smooth at the start I think a little aging will help it overall.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
CBid is indeed the devil, but keep this in mind. For every steal you manage, check out the 100s of other saps buying things for MORE than it would cost to buy the SAME PRODUCT at Cigar Interational. Happens ALL the time.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think there are more people that overbid than you think. That is where they make their money and it allows them to keep the prices of other cigars down.

It would be intersting to see what lots they loose money on and what lots they make money on. It is obviously in the green or they would not be doing it.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I think there are more people that overbid than you think. That is where they make their money and it allows them to keep the prices of other cigars down.

It would be intersting to see what lots they loose money on and what lots they make money on. It is obviously in the green or they would not be doing it.
Yes and I wonder if once you found you paid more for it on an auction than on their website and raised a stink about it, if they would refund anything.

On cigarmonster I purchased the LVH Cedar Chateau No 1 for $21.00 5 days later they offered them at $15 I complained and they gave me $2.00 back...lol

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I don't think they would....it's your screw up....that's the first thing you should check when bidding