What's new

Cigar box wood?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
What kind of wood are Dom. Cohiba boxes made of? I also picked up a fuente box non wood finish, but it was still looked like cedar, What boxes are best for coolidor use? Need to get some boxes together? Any good choices out there?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The wood ones are made, or at least lined, with Spanish Cedar. This is not to be confused with any other kind of cedar. In fact, it is not really a part of the cedar family at all, but is a variety of mahogany. If you build a box with red or white cedar or any other kind of true cedar, the cedar smell will be overwhelming and will trash your smokes. Or so I have read.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Almost all dress boxes, cabinets, and slide lid boxes are made with Spanish Cedar. The dress boxes are mostly to look pretty, but underneath it is the cedar. Only one's I would steer away from are the paper only boxes that are flimsy or those without the cedar. Some wood might look coated or slick almost wet looking. Those are going to be varnished boxes designed for long term storage as this restricts airflow for better aging. If your looking at boxes to take up space and to help regulate the RH in the coolidor, the more Spanish Cedar the better. You can use the thin cedar dividers that come in most boxes as well.

Like Vic says, NO regular cedar items like you find at the hardware store. That is aromatic cedar and would ruin your collection.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Almost all dress boxes, cabinets, and slide lid boxes are made with Spanish Cedar. The dress boxes are mostly to look pretty, but underneath it is the cedar. Only one's I would steer away from are the paper only boxes that are flimsy or those without the cedar. Some wood might look coated or slick almost wet looking. Those are going to be varnished boxes designed for long term storage as this restricts airflow for better aging. If your looking at boxes to take up space and to help regulate the RH in the coolidor, the more Spanish Cedar the better. You can use the thin cedar dividers that come in most boxes as well.

Like Vic says, NO regular cedar items like you find at the hardware store. That is aromatic cedar and would ruin your collection.

Is that what is referred to with the 898 varnished/unvarnished? I've always wondered, but have never purchased any?

drew

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Drew, In the case like Partagas 898, there is a difference in the cigar size and taste as well as one being varnished and the other non varnished.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
You don't varnish a cigar! That is the coating applied to the outside of the wood box to make more air tight, thus better longterm aging for the cigars.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Varnished/Un-Varnished always refers to the packaging. Regardless of the cigar inside, the "Varnished" comes in a Varnished box, the "Unvarnished" comes in an unvarnished box. However, just because there is X cigar and it comes "Varnished or UnVarnished" doesn't mean that the cigar is the same in both versions of the packaging. This is very common with 898 packaging. As the "898" refers to packaging it's easy to get confused, but an "898 Varnished" and "898 Unvarnished" are completely different cigars.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Varnished/Un-Varnished always refers to the packaging. Regardless of the cigar inside, the "Varnished" comes in a Varnished box, the "Unvarnished" comes in an unvarnished box. However, just because there is X cigar and it comes "Varnished or UnVarnished" doesn't mean that the cigar is the same in both versions of the packaging. This is very common with 898 packaging. As the "898" refers to packaging it's easy to get confused, but an "898 Varnished" and "898 Unvarnished" are completely different cigars.

That is where I got confuzzled....Thanks for the explanation!

drew

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Best if you know a local cigar shop owner might give you a few empty boxes. I would pay no more than a buck each now. But when I first started I bought 5-6 from Ebay in a lot and paid about $15 shipped to me cause the wine cooler was so empty it is harder to regulate the RH when the unit ran hard. Also the RH would bounce cause I opened the door all the time, with even empty boxes it would not cause the empty boxes retain that specific RH that I liked. I hope this helps, I am not always a smartass.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
what boxes do you guys have in your storage? to take up space?
full boxes :razz:
What he said. :thumbsup:

As was mentioned - just go to your local cigar shop - most will give them away of sell for a buck or two. Buy the same brand + size as what you are storing (if possible). That way it's easier to tell what you have in the cooler.

C-Bid also sells / auctions lots of empty boxes.