What's new

Cigar Classifications

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Good articale in Smoke magazine this month classifying premium, super premium and ultra Premium cigars.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Not sure there is an exact answer to this question Jim. Lots of variables.

Some manufacturers use the highest quality leaf and call it a premium cigar due being hand picked or chosen over a lesser grade of leaf. Some manufactures cure, age, or ferment longer, then call it premium due to being more mature and most times more mello.

Price range will vary by manufacturer, not sure you can quantify a price point to equal the quality. A lot has to do with the sales and marketing tactics as well.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I think a lot of it has to do with brand recognition too. The bigger the name the more premium it is considered. Such as Davidoff, Dunhill, Monte Cristo, And even Opus X. Even though the cigars are made much the same way, Via long filler, handmade, and such, to me I think Name has a lot to do with it. My 2 cents though.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I don't really use the phrase "Super Premium." It is either Premium or its not. I think (like Smokeinafuente said) people consider the rarity of the cigar. I look at it as a Rare Premium cigar not a "Super Premium".

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i still think there is some value in distinguishing between everyday premium cigars and other cigars. there's quite a bit of difference between a <$3 cigar and >$10 cigar. I think there are good cigars in both categories and some that aren't worth the money, but the categories are still valid.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
i still think there is some value in distinguishing between everyday premium cigars and other cigars. there's quite a bit of difference between a <$3 cigar and >$10 cigar. I think there are good cigars in both categories and some that aren't worth the money, but the categories are still valid.

Okay with this in mind what would you say the catagories for cigars are?

Yard 'gars
Everday smoke
Premium
Rare/Super premium

Any other catagories and what would you say the price range on each woudl run on average?

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Over the course of time, and in my experience, I've come to storing my sticks in different humidors at different RH based on size and ring guage. That's mostly how I catagorize them, with a secondary category of "dark or light wrapper". Any deemed "crappy" are put in special storage to be sent to those on "The List" at a future date.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
well what started this is the PIF what would classify a cigar as being a premium cigar... especially as many of you have stated you have enjoyed $2 stick to $10 ones...
Now and in the future I just want to make sure I don't send anything less than what I should...

I know there are others especially newbies that have the same question.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't limit what you smoke to wether or not it has a Premium or Super Premium "label".

If you are new to the leaf, then stick with the known brands so you don't run around in circles, then go by word of mouth. If a cigar is cheap and you like it, then it will become a Super Premium cigar to you and others that like it.

One of the best things about cigars is that we are so social and willing to share our favorite sticks. I've discovered many a fine smoke that way. I wonder how many of them would have the Super Premium label. :smile:

Take last night for instance...I was in a local lounge enjoying a LGC Serie R maduro when I was approached by the owner. He explained that he was putting together a line of cigars and would I please try one. I had the smoke late last night and it was a fine smoke. Now, does it qualify a Super Premium or Premium? I liked the smoke...that's all that matters. :smile:

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
:yes: totally agree....

ive had some 2 dollar smokes that i liked better than a 15 dollar smoke.
Same here, it all goes o personal prefrence. And thats why I like this board so much. I have picked up info and likes and dislikes from all of the brothers on this board. I smoke Gispert's which I can get very cheap and I have enjouyed some of them better than a few sticks that I paid $10 to $15 for. I know that Gispert is not a SP cigar but I don't care cause I like them. And likr Todd said

"Also, a part of it, is the point of view of the person categorizing the cigar.

If a few newbie cigar smokers were given the chance to review cigars there might be a whole new line of super premium cigars on the market.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
well what started this is the PIF what would classify a cigar as being a premium cigar... especially as many of you have stated you have enjoyed $2 stick to $10 ones...
Now and in the future I just want to make sure I don't send anything less than what I should...

I know there are others especially newbies that have the same question.
As far as the PIF goes it basically means no short filler or machine made cigars.

If they are behind the counter at the gas station then they are not premium in this regard.

The best rule of thumb when PIFing is to send what you would like to receive in the mail.