What's new

Cigar conundrum

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I received my first humidor today, everything looks great. Im doing the salt test on the hygrometer and I put a shot glass of DW in the bottom of the humi, I foolishly ordered cigars at the same time and don't have anywhere to put them til the humi becomes seasoned!

Should I just put them in the humi anyway?

Will they keep in the package they arrived in until the humi is seasoned?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They will be OK in the baggie for 7 days, after get a small boveda (69-70% or a water pillow both only $1 a B&M)
Some advice don't try to speed up the process of seasoning, just take it slow and let it take.its course naturally......trust me

*Self proclaimed Room 101 whore*
Good advice ^^^^^^

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be OK in the baggie for 7 days, after get a small boveda (69-70% or a water pillow both only $1 a B&M)
Some advice don't try to speed up the process of seasoning, just take it slow and let it take.its course naturally......trust me

*Self proclaimed Room 101 whore*
Awesome thanks, I was freakin out lol!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll make another suggestion. If you get a Boveda pack then I would calibrate your hygrometer with that rather than the salt test. While the salt test does work, it can be problematic. A hygrometer in a small ziplock bag with a Boveda is a much better way.
While patience is the key to seasoning a humidor, I have sped up the process by putting a small bowl of boiled, steaming water in it. That puts a lot of moisture into the air and it evenly distributes to all the surfaces before condensing and being absorbed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll make another suggestion. If you get a Boveda pack then I would calibrate your hygrometer with that rather than the salt test. While the salt test does work, it can be problematic. A hygrometer in a small ziplock bag with a Boveda is a much better way.
While patience is the key to seasoning a humidor, I have sped up the process by putting a small bowl of boiled, steaming water in it. That puts a lot of moisture into the air and it evenly distributes to all the surfaces before condensing and being absorbed.
Thank You for this reply! I was just about to ask about the hygrometer test because the salt test did not seem like it was working, after 3 hours with damp salt in the zip loc my hygrometer read 65 but after 8 hours it read 50 ugh.

I bought the humi care black ice pie jars, if I put them in the humi with the hygrometer will that eventually tell me something?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thank You for this reply! I was just about to ask about the hygrometer test because the salt test did not seem like it was working, after 3 hours with damp salt in the zip loc my hygrometer read 65 but after 8 hours it read 50 ugh.

I bought the humi care black ice pie jars, if I put them in the humi with the hygrometer will that eventually tell me something?
The salt test will work, meaning it will reach 75% rh inside a sealed baggie. You will need to recalibrate your hygrometer.