What's new

Cigar CPR?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your help folks. I just bought a large humi from a collector and was given about 45 sticks to go with. The sticks hadn't been in the humi for several months though and are very dry. I didn't think they were viable for salvage but CigarRod told me that they could be brought back to life. Problem is, I have no idea how to do it. What advice can you guys offer me on how to revive VERY dry sticks?

Attachments

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
couple shot glasses of distilled water in each drawer? have you seasoned the humidor yet? that will help alot. but id say that is your best bet...im sure others on here can offer more advice than myself...

good luck!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
definitely make sure the humi is seasoned. I would maybe try bringing the sticks back slowly... rh at mid-60s for a week, then high-60s for a week, then maybe up to 70 and let them sit for 3 months. boveda packs and shot glasses of water are a great way to get there.

time is your friend on this one... or enemy I guess depending upon how soon you want to smoke them...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the white crap all over the cigars?

BTW- Don Ellias cigars? If the rest of the cigars are of that same caliber, I wouldn't even waste my time trying to restore them, they'll still taste like crap.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I had a similar situation. Sure they can be "brought back to life". However, don't expect much from them. Most, if not all of their essentials oils are gone. I did the whole sponge (as this offers more surface space, then a shot glass) in distilled water in the humidor to revive them. Still, even though they were brought back to life, they were still Frankensteins. Plus, looking at the 45 sticks I would not worry about it, not too much quality there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses and advice. I'm going to work with them and see what happens. I realize the sticks are not of a high caliber, I just figured this would be an interesting challenge to take on. They were free so it's not like I have any money tied up in them. Just something to mess with. As for the white stuff on the sticks, I don't know what it is. I assumed it was just a result of them aging and drying out so much. It doesn't appear to be mold so I'm not worried about that, just don't know.
Thanks again for the info.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am doing the shot glass thing right now on a few that I have in the same condition. I found out that of you take each individual stick, dampen your hand in distilled water, rub them down to only moisten them then do the shot glass in the humi thing and a wait a couple months that may help too.
I hear it wont bring them back but make them at least everyday smokable.
Long Ashes B-Lo! :clap:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had forgotten about a small humi that had a few sticks in it. when I tried to bring the sticks back, I put them in a humi already at 65%. What happened was some of the cigars wouldn't draw, some would burst when I tried tosmoke them and a few would draw between the wrapper and the filler. As said before, try to bring the humidity up slowly. don't know if it'll work but difinitely don't drop them in 65% or more.
Let us know what your results are and good luck.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'd also separate them from any other sticks you have for sure. If the tobacco beetles do hatch look out! It's worth a try. The price is right.