What's new

Cigar Estate- what would you do?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So being in my mid-40’s wife and I recently picking up life insurance, doing some planning in case one of us kicks the bucket, it’s got me wondering what to do with my modest little cigar colllection.

I have about 90 boxes of cubans right now with age ranges from 1992- current.
I don’t want to leave it to some random person that wouldn’t appreciate it.
I don’t really hang out with anyone that I would say is in to this hobby, or is a serious cigar smoker.

So I’m curious what kind Of arrangements you would make if this was your scenario?

(for the record, I’m healthy )

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Glad you are healthy!
How about you pick 15 botl members and send them 6 boxes each?
Just kidding, I agree with Boudie.
If zombies were to eat my brains tomorrow, I’d want my cigars either to go to friends who would enjoy them, or be preserved long enough for my daughter and stepsons to enjoy them when they’re older, or a combination of both.

I don’t have formal arrangements, but I trust that’s what the people closest to me would do so I’m happy with that. And if I’m wrong, I don’t imagine I’ll be too upset about it anyway...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pass them along to a family friend and explain to them your wishes. I've told my wife if I kick the bucket before her to give them to a friend who also smokes cigars and will be able to help her sell them off on my behalf.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Pass them along to a family friend and explain to them your wishes. I've told my wife if I kick the bucket before her to give them to a friend who also smokes cigars and will be able to help her sell them off on my behalf.
I have had the same conversation with my wife. If the doctor ever gives me the "you have 6 months to live talk" I will some time to dispose of them on my own. If I happen to go quickly though in an accident, plane crash, aneurism, etc. she needed to know that she should turn to one of my friends to help her value my collection so she could sell them and/or donate as she saw fit. I have a couple of names and phone numbers in an envelope inside one of my coolers and she is aware it is there.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have had the same conversation with my wife. If the doctor ever gives me the "you have 6 months to live talk" I will some time to dispose of them on my own. If I happen to go quickly though in an accident, plane crash, aneurism, etc. she needed to know that she should turn to one of my friends to help her value my collection so she could sell them and/or donate as she saw fit. I have a couple of names and phone numbers in an envelope inside one of my coolers and she is aware it is there.
That's a great idea to keep in the cooler. I might do something just like that and tell my wife to only open if Godforbid I go hard and fast and unable to offload my smokes.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A simple note with directions in the collection, perhaps in its own bag, would be the easiest solution I think. Perhaps a brief note in each coolidor for specific insights you'd want to share....

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
If my wife truly knew how much I have into cigars, I'd be dead anyway... lol

But same as Rupe above, I told my wife a couple people to contact to help with a sale. The note with names/numbers is a great idea which I haven't done. I had to do this with a cigar friend from my local lounge... he passed away from a heart attack and his wife knew us and I coordinated the sale. Kinda sucked though... there were only a handful of single cuban cigars in the entire collection to sell. Our friend Gary, had plenty of cuban boxes though. We think his wife's son took the cigars without telling her... was the only possible explanation as she said she gave us everything he had to sell. Funds went to her for funeral etc.

If you truly want to set your wife up easier, keep an updated spreadsheet listing the exact boxes. That way she can simply email a list to someone so they can provide value estimates and help with the sale.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My middle son (37) also has a love for the leaf and has graciously claimed my cigars and wineador after my untimely death. He now says they are all his and I am just aging them for him. I tell him if he doesn't shut up, I am gonna take him with me when I go.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If you were to pass before your wife and don't have any friends that can price and sell you collection. There are a few vendors that would take your entire collection and sell it for you and keep a % and send your wife the proceeds. If you need a few names you can PM me if you want.