What's new

Cigar Hazing

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've seen a lot of this over the years ... and I'm not referring to the insulting remarks smokers get from non-smokers. I'm talking about one cigar smoker to another.

Now some can be rather subtle and indirect ... like when MRN or other authors refer to certain cigar brands as generally being for "new", "inexperienced" or "novice" smokers.

Then there is the more direct and in-your-face approach as one smoker is called a "pussy" by another if he feels that a Bolivar CE is too strong for his liking.

I'm not sure where it's written that in order to be considered a real man or an experienced smoker you need to be able to enjoy the strongest cigars on the planet. Everyone's tastes and nicotine tolerence is different and should be respected. Just because someone needs a pot of expresso and an RyJ Cazadores to get his heart started in the morning, doesn't mean the Fonseca smoker and tea drinker is a wimp.

To everyone I say ... Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Good points Tedski. Now, I guess we should start calling you a Pussy you tea drinker, you? :wink:

Seriously, I've never really seen this done with any malicious intent. I've ribbed some friends before, but never in a way that was meant in anything but good fun. I've yet to have a "knock me on my ass" smoke and honestly, I'm not looking for them. I smoke cigars for the taste, the peace and the calm. Not to turn my self green. :dunno:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I tend to favor mid to low strength cigars. Sometimes I get ribbed for it but no one has ever hert my feeling over it.

Good post Ted.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tedski said:
I've seen a lot of this over the years ... and I'm not referring to the insulting remarks smokers get from non-smokers. I'm talking about one cigar smoker to another.

Now some can be rather subtle and indirect ... like when MRN or other authors refer to certain cigar brands as generally being for "new", "inexperienced" or "novice" smokers.

Then there is the more direct and in-your-face approach as one smoker is called a "pussy" by another if he feels that a Bolivar CE is too strong for his liking.

I'm not sure where it's written that in order to be considered a real man or an experienced smoker you need to be able to enjoy the strongest cigars on the planet. Everyone's tastes and nicotine tolerence is different and should be respected. Just because someone needs a pot of expresso and an RyJ Cazadores to get his heart started in the morning, doesn't mean the Fonseca smoker and tea drinker is a wimp.

To everyone I say ... Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

I believe what you are referring to is done in jest. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who Intently and maliciously called someone that, just because another person found a cigar not to his exact liking.

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I do occasionly warn novice smokers away from some cigar. I mean you can't have them getting bad impressions of cigars because of something they weren't ready for. I suggest they start out right, 4 shots of espresso and a La Flor Dominicana Double Liegro Chisel.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cigar_Jack said:
I do occasionly warn novice smokers away from some cigar. I mean you can't have them getting bad impressions of cigars because of something they weren't ready for. I suggest they start out right, 4 shots of espresso and a La Flor Dominicana Double Liegro Chisel.
That's a nice appetizer

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I agree that many of the remarks are just in fun ... but in general I still think they were better left unsaid.

The same can be true for the different brands of cigars - or country of origin. Many are razzed or looked down upon because they don't enjoy Habanos ... or that they really like El Productos ( George Burns smoked these for decades. He though Habanos were rolled too tight. )

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't bash anyone for what the smoke, but if you've never picked up a cigar or have only smoked a couple, I'm not going to steer you towards something like a Partagas Black(Pepper Bomb) or a Nicotine bomb. I'll let you discover those on your own. I don't see many of us here bashing anyone for what they like. I see it at other boards quite a bit.

I like the cheapie Cusano 18's which make some of you give me some strange looks but you don't bash me for it. I appeciate that.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
This is Ted's way of saying don't make fun of him when he comes out of the closet and tells you he really likes Macs :sadpace:

All in fun Ted and I've never seen this done on purpose. When you get a group of guys together, they're gonna find some way to joke around or rib on ya :peace:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Ted, are you refering to to any posts or threads in particular or just in general?
Todd ... This is just in general based on 10 years of smoking and reading posts on the internet. It's also an interesting observation in the power of conditioned opinion. I guess it came to a head last week at a local cigar gathering. Interesting enough a new guy at the table was smoking a Macanudo maduro. Several others asked why the hell he was smoking a Mac ... and handed him some cubans. He politely took their gift and just answered ... "Because I enjoy the taste."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tedski said:
Todd ... This is just in general based on 10 years of smoking and reading posts on the internet. It's also an interesting observation in the power of conditioned opinion. I guess it came to a head last week at a local cigar gathering. Interesting enough a new guy at the table was smoking a Macanudo maduro. Several others asked why the hell he was smoking a Mac ... and handed him some cubans. He politely took their gift and just answered ... "Because I enjoy the taste."
His answer should have been "to get free cubans" :rofl: