What's new

Cigar Humidification (Active vs Inactive)

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I notice a lot now that cigars will vary when I smoke them from my wineador vs other friends. I have Heartfelt beads and I notice that friends that have active electronic humidifiers often vary in flavor to my own. I am sure the level of humidity also plays a role.

Do you guys think that a electronic humidifier really can make a difference in how a smoke ages compared to say beads? I was just wondering what your opinions are and maybe if I might be full of chit.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I would say that active humidifiers are for very large cabinets. And that beads can maintain a fairly large humi VERY consistently especially a wineadoor. As far as taste. Sometimes certain cigars smoke better at certain Rh. I don't have enough time to sit and "tweak" every Rh of every Marca/vitola. So I don't worry about it. My vinos set at 1% difference from top to bottom. To me that equilibrium in your humi is the most important.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I was thinking that active humidifiers probably circulate air a lot more and it might make a difference especially long term if you have smokes that are unwrapped and out of the cello. I may be wrong....

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
What works best for me in my large humi and cabinet is the combo of an oasis and beads. Beads in the smaller humi. I have not noticed a difference.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
A member on here named "Mitch" did a cool experiment a few years back involving humidity and temperature, and it had a huge effect on some smokes.
He used different humidity sources, and took a lot of notes on the effects.
It's worth the search.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
A member on here named "Mitch" did a cool experiment a few years back involving humidity and temperature, and it had a huge effect on some smokes.
It's worth the search.
Thanks man. I will try to find it on the search. Appreciate it. :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
It's worth the search.
Talk about a loss to the commuity.(Mitch) As far as air circulation. I go into my humis once a week or so. I use to keep up 2 Oust fans in each one. I've since taken them out. My vinos with beads are 65% bottom and 66% top. While a oasis fan will circulate total air more then beads (that obviously have no fan at all). Remember that you will not get a equilibrium in the bottom portion of a vino or small cabinet w/out added fans to the oasis. It is why companies like Avallo/Aristocrat have more fans then what is just on the containers holding water. SO if you use a oasis, esentially your placing all the humid air in the very bottom of the vino. Add to that most of us stock are vinso excessively. And with out the added fans its essentially going to stay there for the most part. I've seen this personally with others....... and the bottom half of their inventory is wetter then the top do to the hydration source being in one spot........
Regards,
Jfire

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Talk about a loss to the commuity.(Mitch) As far as air circulation. I go into my humis once a week or so. I use to keep up 2 Oust fans in each one. I've since taken them out. My vinos with beads are 65% bottom and 66% top. While a oasis fan will circulate total air more then beads (that obviously have no fan at all). Remember that you will not get a equilibrium in the bottom portion of a vino or small cabinet w/out added fans to the oasis. It is why companies like Avallo/Aristocrat have more fans then what is just on the containers holding water. SO if you use a oasis, esentially your placing all the humid air in the very bottom of the vino. Add to that most of us stock are vinso excessively. And with out the added fans its essentially going to stay there for the most part. I've seen this personally with others....... and the bottom half of their inventory is wetter then the top do to the hydration source being in one spot........
Regards,
Jfire
Definitely agree. My large humi has an oasis in the bottom. Stays about 66-67... Use that area for long term storage. Top shelves have 65% beads and I keep cigars I'm ready to smoke there. Cabinet has an oasis in the bottom at 66%, fan and beads on top, another fan in the center. Top stays 65-66, center the same. IMHO oasis needs fans and beads to control humidity spikes and to keep humidity even in all areas. With that, they are great for large boxes. Wouldn't use one for a box under 250-300 size though. Beads work great all alone in those smaller spaces.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
50 years of cigar smoking in just about every type of humidor there is has shown me that you keep your humidors at the set RH and you'll have a great cigar. Variances of the type of media used has not shown to me that it makes a difference. I smoke a ton of RP Edge Maduros...JR Ultimates...601 Greenies...and about another dozen of various types of cigars so I know my product. I've had them in humidors with beads, KL, oasis, gels and they were all in a 65-67% environment and I did not hotice a concrete difference in flavor or smokeability. Having said that others may find that their own experience with passive/active humidification gives them more....if they find that to be fact then who among us will say it's not true?

audio1der

Cuban cigar snob #1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice a lot now that cigars will vary when I smoke them from my wineador vs other friends. I have Heartfelt beads and I notice that friends that have active electronic humidifiers often vary in flavor to my own. I am sure the level of humidity also plays a role.

Do you guys think that a electronic humidifier really can make a difference in how a smoke ages compared to say beads? I was just wondering what your opinions are and maybe if I might be full of chit.
Consistency is the key. If beads can keep the RH at a level where you find your smokes taste best, change nothing.
If you have variances due to RH when using only beads, you could benefit from active humidification.
I REALLY wanted my 20+ lbs of beads to be sufficient for my small walk-in, but it wasn't enough. After adding my cigar oasis XLII, I only wish I had bought it sooner.

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
I went with an actice source in my freezer project. Given how tight the freezer was it was over-kill. Humidity tended to creep, up. For the past several months have had mothing but cigars inside and the humidity has been rock solid at 65. When it drops I have a couple of pounds of beads to add.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0