What's new

Cigar Lifestyle

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me right after high school a buddy and mine had "Cigar Fridays" at a local B&M. We tried a couple of different cigars every Friday. My first premium from those nights was a RP vintage 1999 (a cigar I still highly recommend to this day). Ever since then I have been insanely passionate about the leaf.

BTW this is a really cool thread. It's always pretty awesome seeing (reading) how people got into this amazing hobby/lifestyle

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I just wanted to try a cigar. In high school a couple buddies and myself would smoke a few swisher sweets... I know, but I was in high school. Then when I bought my house mid 20's, I wanted to sit on my porch and have a cigar. I would buy one or two from the liquor store humidor on Fridays and smoke them. Man those smokes were harsh, and wet. But it didnt matter to me, i just enjoyed sitting there and having a smoke. Then my wife bought me a small humidor, still my favorite one. After that it was downhill as my obsessive personality kicked in. Been smoking ever since about 13 years now.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I guess it went from hobby to lifestyle when wife cut me off from spending our $ on boxes and was OK with me getting a part time job......which was at a cigar shop......neither one of us knew what I was getting into.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You still work at a cigar shop? That's cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I don't see the difference in hobby vs. lifestyle that everyone keeps trying to emphasize.

If I were never able to smoke another cigar again, would I be disappointed? Sure.
Would my world come to an end? Definitely not.

I started smoking cigars with a co-worker and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the relaxation aspect and the idea of having a vice (that did not include alcohol/drugs/gambling) to take my mind off of the stress of everyday life.
Once I found online cigar communities, though, my cigar hobby/passion/lifestyle spiraled out of control lol.

As a few others have mentioned with their own stories, I tend to have an all or nothing type of dedication to hobbies. I'm glad that with cigars it has not been fleeting.
It's a hobby, not a habit.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think cigar smoking was always a hobby/lifestyle for me, ever since high school, but I never did it seriously. I always said when I graduated college and got a real job and a house, blah, blah, blah I was going to buy a humidor and start smoking cigars more regularly. It was nearly a good decade through undergrad, grad school, and then during what was actually my second real job that I finally bought the humidor (cheap desktop on Amazon) and started buying fivers and a few boxes, but even those years where I might have smoked only two or three in an entire year I considered cigar smoking one of my hobbies. Among my circle of family and friend I was always the "cigar guy," such that everybody would bring me a Cuban from cruises and out of country trips, that I realize now were probably all fake. So I guess it was my first one back in high school that I sold myself working as a cashier at the grocery store (had to sell it to myself because I was underage) and smoked outside underneath my bedroom window and promptly threw up afterward that was the one that did it. Can't remember what it was, some trash that is sold without humidification.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Cigars didn't become a regular part of my life until mid 2016. We have a B&M that is owned and operated by a couple of retired LEO's. My BIL worked with them for many years. He would always bring some Tobacs or Javas (his favorite smoke) over to smoke. One day before a golf game he wanted to go pick some up. I was hooked as soon as I walked into the walk in. The owner recommended some sticks and now here I am. The sticks I bought that day were a AB Prensado and Olivia O or G (dont remember). Still learning and trying everything I can. Its been a interesting year.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked a few with my dad several years ago. Was more celebratory in nature then anything else.

About a year and a half ago had some free time and picked up a CAO 660 and MyFather LB22 for grilling out. Called up my dad and as we talked, we both rekindled the flame.

Like others, I view it more as a hobby then lifestyle. I work one of the Sheriff's Office busiest districts here and this is my relaxation and decompressing activity. This brotherhood is a different sense than my work family, and while I love my brothers in blue, red etc, it's nice to get away on occasion.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well my nickname in High School was "Smokey", although my hobby, if you could call it that, was originally smoking cigarettes (starting in the 4th grade). Nobody in my family smoked so it was tough acquiring them. Luckily I never became addicted, and quit that habit during my Junior year when I was introduced to Cuban Cigars, on a trip to Niagara Falls Canada. I was able to sneak away from my parents hotel room and explore Clifton Hill (basically the family equivalent of the Las Vegas Strip). I saw a Tobacconist Shop on the corner across from a celebrity wax museum and went inside. At the time (2002) in Canada you only needed to be 16 to buy cigars (which definitely changed in these health conscious days). I bought 4 Cubans. They were probably fakes, but I didn't care or have any idea what a Cuban even was, or what it represented at the time. All I knew was damn they smelled good, in fact the whole store smelled good, a new kind of good. They were expensive, nearly cleaned my wallet, but my main concern was that I still had to get them across the border back to NJ. (I made it, hid them in my dirty laundry lol)

That was my introduction to Cigars, although many years later in 2008, the cigar that did it for me, which turned this once in awhile indulgence into a pastime...was A Padron 1926 Serie in Maduro. God it looked so delicious in the humidor; like a block of rich chocolate. That was enough for me to ignite the passion for this great great great hobby. My nickname is still Smokey, even the parents of my friends call me by it LOL

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I look at it more as a hobby that turned into a passion.

It became a hobby for me when I joined my first forum back in 2007 and really started to grasp the nuances of individual cigars, got into trading/bombing and purchased my first winedor.

It became a passion for me when I started planing vacations around cigar shops/factories that I wanted to visit. When I go on trips (for work or personal) and make sure to hit up a few cigar shops to get to know the owners and their clients. When I started writing out business plans for a cigar shop that I will open when I retire. When I started hosting noob herfs at my house specifically to show guys who want to get into cigars how to do the basics so they are more comfortable going into B&Ms. I genuinely love the history behind factories/brands/icons and what their future roadmap(s) look like - I'm very passionate about the industry as a whole.
I found your post to be very inspiring. I'm a former small business owner (didn't work out unfortunately), mine was a Small Batch Specialty Coffee Roaster with a front-line Cafe. I still have aspirations of trying again but something i'm way more passionate about (my business partner was more passionate to the hobby of coffee). Your post brought new confidence to my aspirations. I hope it works out for you and that's it's everything you envision.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've smoked cigars for about 20 years, but I'd have to say that it became a lifestyle/serious hobby/pastime for me about 8 years ago. I was working as a teacher in a high-needs, low-income, urban school district and I was teaching students who were on long-term suspension. I loved the challenge and felt I was making a difference in at least a few of my students' lives, but it was an extremely stressful job. I often left work angry and upset at how broken the system was and how many of these students were being left behind. In an effort to "decompress" at the end of the day, before I went home and switched back into dad and husband mode, I would stop at the local cigar lounge. It really helped a lot -- it was great to relax, talk with some of the other regulars, etc. I've since left that job (I'm now a director at a Science Center) so I don't smoke as mush as I did, but it's still a relaxing, centering activity. Plus it fits in well with my collector personality.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Well my nickname in High School was "Smokey", although my hobby, if you could call it that, was originally smoking cigarettes (starting in the 4th grade). Nobody in my family smoked so it was tough acquiring them. Luckily I never became addicted, and quit that habit during my Junior year when I was introduced to Cuban Cigars, on a trip to Niagara Falls Canada. I was able to sneak away from my parents hotel room and explore Clifton Hill (basically the family equivalent of the Las Vegas Strip). I saw a Tobacconist Shop on the corner across from a celebrity wax museum and went inside. At the time (2002) in Canada you only needed to be 16 to buy cigars (which definitely changed in these health conscious days). I bought 4 Cubans. They were probably fakes, but I didn't care or have any idea what a Cuban even was, or what it represented at the time. All I knew was damn they smelled good, in fact the whole store smelled good, a new kind of good. They were expensive, nearly cleaned my wallet, but my main concern was that I still had to get them across the border back to NJ. (I made it, hid them in my dirty laundry lol)

That was my introduction to Cigars, although many years later in 2008, the cigar that did it for me, which turned this once in awhile indulgence into a pastime...was A Padron 1926 Serie in Maduro. God it looked so delicious in the humidor; like a block of rich chocolate. That was enough for me to ignite the passion for this great great great hobby. My nickname is still Smokey, even the parents of my friends call me by it LOL
Lol "Smokey" just like the character in the movie Friday

Change your name on BOTL to "Smokey"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0

4th grade? wtf?

How does that even happen?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I found your post to be very inspiring. I'm a former small business owner (didn't work out unfortunately), mine was a Small Batch Specialty Coffee Roaster with a front-line Cafe. I still have aspirations of trying again but something i'm way more passionate about (my business partner was more passionate to the hobby of coffee). Your post brought new confidence to my aspirations. I hope it works out for you and that's it's everything you envision.
Thanks man! I appreciate that! I have a few small business ideas in the cigar realm that I'd like to start sooner than later. They will give me some experience in the cigar industry and help setup the B&M retirement plan. Good luck on your aspirations, brother. I hope they bring you fulfillment and happiness!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's all about pairings, the right combination of drink (usually alcoholic but doesn't have to be) and cigar makes for an unbelievable experience for me.

My first great pairing was padron 1964 natural corona with four roses single barrel, and this had me hooked.

It's interesting that this probably remains my favorite cigar to pair (goes very well with many different drinks), but I have found some rums that I like even more with the cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've smoked cigars for about 20 years, but I'd have to say that it became a lifestyle/serious hobby/pastime for me about 8 years ago. I was working as a teacher in a high-needs, low-income, urban school district and I was teaching students who were on long-term suspension. I loved the challenge and felt I was making a difference in at least a few of my students' lives, but it was an extremely stressful job. I often left work angry and upset at how broken the system was and how many of these students were being left behind. In an effort to "decompress" at the end of the day, before I went home and switched back into dad and husband mode, I would stop at the local cigar lounge. It really helped a lot -- it was great to relax, talk with some of the other regulars, etc. I've since left that job (I'm now a director at a Science Center) so I don't smoke as mush as I did, but it's still a relaxing, centering activity. Plus it fits in well with my collector personality.
Thanks for sharing. I share in your take on cigars and just how relaxing they can be. What i like best about it is the methodical meditative state it puts me in. I find I enjoy it best when i'm in the company of other like-minded people, at my lounge. BTW what Science Center do you work at and for how long have you worked there? I'm from NJ and spend a lot of time in NY.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My be
4th grade? wtf?

How does that even happen?
It was back in a time when smoking cigarettes was considered cool (not weed...I don't judge though just never was into that). My best friends parents were both crazy smokers and never could tell when a carton went missing lol or when my friend would swipe a pack. I used to buy these candy cigarettes that you could actually blow smoke out of (remember them? they were gum wrapped in paper). We've come a long way i'd say of what's considered cool; from cigarettes, which transitioned to weed, which transitioned to E-cigs, which finally hit Vaping. I'll stick with my Cigars and the once a year Hookah (not weed, flavored tobacco)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I share in your take on cigars and just how relaxing they can be. What i like best about it is the methodical meditative state it puts me in. I find I enjoy it best when i'm in the company of other like-minded people, at my lounge. BTW what Science Center do you work at and for how long have you worked there? I'm from NJ and spend a lot of time in NY.
I work at miSci - the museum of innovation and science. If you're ever in the area and want to stop by, let me know. I'll make sure there's some free admission passes waiting for you.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it's all about pairings, the right combination of drink (usually alcoholic but doesn't have to be) and cigar makes for an unbelievable experience for me.

My first great pairing was padron 1964 natural corona with four roses single barrel, and this had me hooked.

It's interesting that this probably remains my favorite cigar to pair (goes very well with many different drinks), but I have found some rums that I like even more with the cigar.
I like the way you think. As my name would suggest I myself hardly ever have a cigar without a nice bourbon to compliment it and vice versa. My favorite pairing so far has gotta be Booker's (129 proof) with a H. Upmann Reserve Maduro