What's new

Cigar misconceptions

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I thought it might be nice for some of the newer guys if we had a thread about common cigar misconceptions. Could be anything, really. I'll toss out the first one:

The "Oliva Cigar Company" actually has no relation at all to "Oliva Tobacco." The former is a cigar manufacturer, the latter grows tobacco that is then sold to many of our favorite manufacturers. I'm mentioning this one because I just watched a review where the guy said that Oliva Cigars probably make some of the best smokes because they have first pick of the tobacco they grow (meaning Oliva Tobacco), and then sell the rest the other companies. Incorrect, no relation between these, they just share the same surname.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Interesting, I didn't know that, thanks for sharing.

So whom does Oliva Tobacco sell a lot of their tobacco to? Now you've peaked my interest, lol.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0

So whom does Oliva Tobacco sell a lot of their tobacco to? Now you've peaked my interest, lol.
I don't know who else they sell to, but I'm pretty sure they sell to at least Pete Johnson and the Garcia's

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get confused about the relationship between cigar brands and the factories that roll their cigars. I know the My Father factory rolls for a lot of people and I also noticed a Rocky Pattel logo on the back of a Drew Estates stick. Seems hard to know who does what.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I get confused about the relationship between cigar brands and the factories that roll their cigars. I know the My Father factory rolls for a lot of people and I also noticed a Rocky Pattel logo on the back of a Drew Estates stick. Seems hard to know who does what.
Yea, it can get confusing between ownership of a label, manufacturer, and then distributor. For example, Drew Estates is the distributor for Joyo de Nicaragua, but JdN has their own factory and makes their own sticks.

I think the RP stick you're thinking of is the Java. RP owns the label, but Drew Estates manufactures them I believe. Not sure who distributes them.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
The Garcias have the resources to roll a ton of cigar for other companies like Tatuaje (relationship between family and Pete) and La Aroma de Cuba (Ashton). The Java (DE) is a cigar that is rolled by Rocky Patel then sold to Drew Estate as a Drew Estate product.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

fuente. i know there have been a couple fuente lines that have featured it. damned if i know which off the top of my head.

EDIT: IIRC, the oliva-growers-not-rollers family was the source of the sun grown wrapper used on 858 and hemmi's? or possibly the rosado? maybe both?

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
This thread is ripe for a guy like podman to come in and "learn" us a little. I'll send him a text. I know enough just to get things wrong.......(about all the relationships) This is a great thead idea Nate.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Interesting. Is there a difference between a company having it's own factory and a company having it's own farm? I always hear about the MF factory, I'm assuming they are growing all of there own tobacco there as well but now that I'm thinking more about it, I realize I could be way off base.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Cigar Misconceptions from total newbs... you don't inhale. :)

okay, okay... you all know that. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. And good discussion btw, Oliva sells tobacco to a lot of co's in the industry.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Wow. Thanks for the link Aloha. Cabaiguan beli? I had no idea...

The way cigars are marketed is very interesting to me.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Keep in mind though, Oliva Tobacco Co is not making these cigars, just supplying tobacco that goes into those...

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The Garcias have the resources to roll a ton of cigar for other companies like Tatuaje (relationship between family and Pete) and La Aroma de Cuba (Ashton). The Java (DE) is a cigar that is rolled by Rocky Patel then sold to Drew Estate as a Drew Estate product.
All I know about the java is that rocky distributes them and it says DE on the bands. I don't know if rocky rolls then though, it would make more sense that DE does considering they make acid and other infused smokes.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Keep in mind though, Oliva Tobacco Co is not making these cigars, just supplying tobacco that goes into those...
My impression of DPG stuff has always been that his blends are always his own stock because he has so many resources. I think the regular Cab line is one one of the best mild nc cigars out there.