What's new

Cigar misconceptions

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
almost certain that DE makes the java on contract for rocky. JD is to territorial about his herbs and spices to let rocky get that close!
Was told by a DE rep that they purchase them from RP, can't see why that would be unless RP made them. Plus they have a RP barcode on them, kind of like how the studio tobac padilla that came out last year has a cain logo on it because oliva rolled it. Could be mistaken.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Another misconception: Their are non-Cuban versions of most big Cuban brands which are made by COMPLETELY different companies than those who make the Cubans. Examples are Cohiba, Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta, Punch, Hoyo De Monterrey, and Trinidad just to name a few.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Another misconception: Their are non-Cuban versions of most big Cuban brands which are made by COMPLETELY different companies than those who make the Cubans. Examples are Cohiba, Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta, Punch, Hoyo De Monterrey, and Trinidad just to name a few.
wow, mind BLOWN. 0_0

EDIT: sounded less asinine in my head. also still have a buzzing head from lawn equipment. sorry! and, casual, there is a lot of back and forth over whether those companies should be able to use those names, and years of legal battles. BUT, so you know, those brands have no resemblance to the CC marcas other than name

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
wow, mind BLOWN. 0_0
He's new...take it easy, bro :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
wow, mind BLOWN. 0_0
He's new...take it easy, bro :)
Somewhat false info....
Imperial tobacco owns Altadis which also owns 50% of Habanos S.A which produces names such as RyJ, H Upmann, Montecristo which Imperial tobacco who owns Altadis also produces those same brands. ( meant to be a run on sentence.....) so those names are NOT completely different owners.... Anymore

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Check out Oliva's page on their clients... pretty much everyone.

http://www.olivatobacco.com/clients.htm
Another major tobacco supplier that everyone should know besides the distinction between the 2 Oliva companies is Nestor Plasencia - one of the largest growers of tobacco outside of Cuba. I actually had the fortune of touring one of his fields, preprocessing, and factories in Honduras back in 2006ish. He's more vertically integrated than most but isn't a familiar name for most since he makes a lot of cigars for other brand owners. He supplies a lot of tobacco as well, obviously. For example, he used to supply some of the original Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper for the Tatuaje Brown label before it switched to Ecuadorian Habano (non Reserva stuff).

Here's an article about him:
https://ia700809.us.archive.org/33/items/NestorPlascenciaCigarmakerToTheStars/Plasencia-opt.pdf

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

For example, he used to supply some of the original Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper for the Tatuaje Brown label before it switched to Ecuadorian Habano (non Reserva stuff).
I don't believe that's accurate, at least for Cojonu, Pete said he was using AGANORSA from 2003-2005, then Plasencia Corojo from 2005-2006, and then Oliva Ecuador Habano since then. My understanding from Pete has always been that the switch was the same for Brown Label as a whole.

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd also like to add "vertical integration" as a tag word in the industry. There are so few, if any, that are truly vertically integrated so that they can literally take stuff from ground to shelves without any employees outside of their own. A lot of people claim this, there are few where it's actually applicable.

For example, Fuente makes their own boxes, not their own bands. (They also use a lot of non-Fuente grown tobacco and there might be a technicality with their sales staff, but that's not the point. I'm not sure they make this claim, just using it an easy example.)

Furthermore, I can't think of a company that supplies all of their own tobacco, does all of their own packaging in-house, all of their own sales, etc. Davidoff comes closeish. Everyone seems to have a supplier either from tobacco or packaging sides.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0

For example, he used to supply some of the original Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper for the Tatuaje Brown label before it switched to Ecuadorian Habano (non Reserva stuff).
I don't believe that's accurate, at least for Cojonu, Pete said he was using AGANORSA from 2003-2005, then Plasencia Corojo from 2005-2006, and then Oliva Ecuador Habano since then. My understanding from Pete has always been that the switch was the same for Brown Label as a whole.
Thanks. You may be right. I like you're comment on the vertical integration as well.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
One of my first misconceptions: "A cigar tastes better if it costs more"

There are mid-range cigars that can be just as flavorful. I'm just saying, you can find an $8 stick and you may like it more than a $28 stick.
This is where experience helps and getting advice from different outlets, or your local B&M guy.

Just smoke what you like, NOOB! haha.

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Thanks. You may be right. I like you're comment on the vertical integration as well.
Didn't mean to pile on, and from the production side Plasencia is super-vertical, including a daycare for his workers, but I hear that term get thrown around so much for people who don't make bands, ferment tobacco, etc.

In this industry, like many, it becomes important as there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of product delays, oftentimes involving the not-so-vertically integrated parts.

Jadawin

Drew Estate Cigars
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
almost certain that DE makes the java on contract for rocky. JD is to territorial about his herbs and spices to let rocky get that close!
Was told by a DE rep that they purchase them from RP, can't see why that would be unless RP made them. Plus they have a RP barcode on them, kind of like how the studio tobac padilla that came out last year has a cain logo on it because oliva rolled it. Could be mistaken.

Gavin, the Java is rolled at the Drew Estate factory for Rocky Patel. DE does not distribute the Java, just rolls them. Rocky distributes those.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0

Gavin, the Java is rolled at the Drew Estate factory for Rocky Patel. DE does not distribute the Java, just rolls them. Rocky distributes those.
From the mouth of the DE beast! Thanks Ben! ill have to lay down some serious chastising on my source!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are mid-range cigars that can be just as flavorful. I'm just saying, you can find an $8 stick and you may like it more than a $28 stick.
This is where experience helps and getting advice from different outlets, or your local B&M guy.

Man thats for sure. The Fuente sun grown queen B is one of my favorites and its only $5.75 at my local B&M

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Man thats for sure. The Fuente sun grown queen B is one of my favorites and its only $5.75 at my local B&M
Exactly! The higher costing cigar probably has more carefully selected ingredients, but that doesn't mean you may like it! Just like with wine, I've found $8 bottles I like much more than $40 bottles.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
will add another +1 to that...

there are several $5-$8 sticks that are among my absolute favorites..

and Ive tried several $12-$30 sticks over the years that I thought were only "ok"....