What's new

Cigar Physics

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Does anyone know of any well-written online resources that have detailed information on cigar combustion, draw testing, what causes plugs, humidity, bunching, rolling, etc.?

First of all. I'm curious almost to a fault but I'm puzzled by why some cigars have a tight draw, some do not, why a PerfectDraw tool works very well with some sticks and in other situations it seems like I can pull it through from both sides 30 times and nothing improves, why some cigars start off burning like crap, need relights and then start burning perfectly about halfway when the humidity of the tobacco should be higher, if anything? Stuff like that.

Thanks for your help brothers!

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nacho Daddy is right, while there is some science (humidification and temp) But there is an art to rolling them ,from what I have read a new employee will need 6 months to a year before rolling high end production cigars and in the end it is a hand made product with plant leaves that where grown, dried balled and fermented and then graded all by hand. hence the art of the leaf.
that is a lot of variables !!

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch some videos on cigar rolling.

deconstruct a few cigars and look for faults.

that should help you see the problems inherent in cigar making.

plug in the concept of humidity and you are off and running.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I'd like to take a few cigars apart to examine them, it's worth it for the education. I'm just not going to be pulling apart any Padron Family Reserves or anything like that.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As interested as you are in cigars you should plan a cigar vacation. Tampa has many shops that roll and the JC Newman tour features machine rolling and hand rolls with visits to their aging and leaf sorting rooms. Miami has many small cigar factories. New Orleans has the Cigar Factory. I would imagine that any community with a strong Hispanic or Cuban population will have shops that roll for the public.

Nicaragua and Cuba had great factory tours until recent political problems.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As interested as you are in cigars you should plan a cigar vacation. Tampa has many shops that roll and the JC Newman tour features machine rolling and hand rolls with visits to their aging and leaf sorting rooms. Miami has many small cigar factories. New Orleans has the Cigar Factory. I would imagine that any community with a strong Hispanic or Cuban population will have shops that roll for the public.

Nicaragua and Cuba had great factory tours until recent political problems.
An excellent idea! It's on the list