What's new

Cigar Reps....

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have a question for some of you. I help run a local cigar club in my area and we usually have 25 to 30 people at our meetings. The problem is there are a lot of smokes our local store doesn't carry or have a decent selection of and I was wondering if I could get reps to come out and talk about their product. Is there anyone in the forum that would know if this is even possible or that would have tips on how to go about this?

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Start by contacting the manufacturers you want to have come out. If you're hoping for some of the brands with limited production and very high demand (LP, Viaje), I'd imagine you won't have much luck. For some of the more mainstream brands I would imagine it's easier to have them come out with the prospect of getting their product in a new store.

I'm just brainstorming here, I could be completely wrong about all of it.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I know its hard to believe but people actually like other cigars..... Not that Drew Estate isn't my favorite but I would love to learn more from other companies.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Start by contacting the manufacturers you want to have come out. If you're hoping for some of the brands with limited production and very high demand (LP, Viaje), I'd imagine you won't have much luck. For some of the more mainstream brands I would imagine it's easier to have them come out with the prospect of getting their product in a new store.

As a product rep (not cigars), I agree with what TG says above. You'ld be suprised how few store reach out to their reps when they need something or there's an issue of some sort. Most wait for us to come into the store, which 2-3 months later, there's not a whole lot I can do about it. I wish more of my accounts reached out to me for trainings, product info, etc. We're happy to do them but more often than not, nobody reaches out to us.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0

That's correct. With companies like viaje, they don't have reps around the country. The store would have to reach out to the company to do business. Major brands are much more likely to send a rep out to the store to show their product.

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Email Gary Griffith via the Emiliocigars.com website. And we will see what we can do for ya. Sound cool?

Or PM your info to me and I'll see what I can do.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

^^this^^

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
also would depend on a couple of other things. are you having the get together at a b&m? is the store owner aware and ok with it? there might be a reason he doesn't do business with a certain company. if there is not an interest in the brand by the owner, i'm can't imagine that a rep would want to spend time on a place that isnt' an account. unless the company really needs business. and if they are a good company, they probably don't.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
also would depend on a couple of other things. are you having the get together at a b&m? is the store owner aware and ok with it? there might be a reason he doesn't do business with a certain company. if there is not an interest in the brand by the owner, i'm can't imagine that a rep would want to spend time on a place that isnt' an account. unless the company really needs business. and if they are a good company, they probably don't.
+1

I gather that you're not the B&M owner? If so, I would think that the first thing you would need to do is speak with the owner of the shop regarding adding lines to their selection or having reps visit the shop.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Our meetings are primarily held in a local bar but we have a pretty good relationship with the local B&M. Our goals are to foster the relationship with both the bar owner and B&M owner as best we can. While doing this we also want to try and provide great experiences for our members by having contests and having different cigar companies come out and do their thing.

We are currently working with the local Drew Estates rep to set up an event at the local B&M. We would ideally like to grow great relationships with other companies like we have with DE.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
^^^ What he said....

The biggest problem I am having so far is that certain reps don't want to come out if the B&M in the area doesn't carry the cigar. The reps want the number to the cigar shop to try to sell them on their product and they want to mention us as a way for them to peak the B&M's interest. This is a no go because we have a good shop but they can't take the chance of carrying product they may not sell and I don't want them using our name to push a agenda and aggravating our relationship with our shop. So this may be harder than I thought... If only more companies were like Drew Estate.