What's new

Cigar Room Opinions Needed

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have approval for a man cave / cigar room in a 10x14 basement room. about a 7 ft dropped ceiling. It has no ventilation fan in it. Two windows that can open. tiled, heated flooring..

I dont want to install a ventilation system that pumps to the exterior of the house (atleast not anywhere in the near future).

My fear is the wife, who will gladly use it, will begin to change her mind about smoking cigars inside, if the smell becomes to overwhelming. Obviously Im gonna take the steps to not put fabrics that will absorb cigar odor, but the cork board dropped ceiling already has me at a disadvantage there. In the winter months I don't want to have to open a window.

Can people advise about air filters, purifiers etc that would work in this situation. I have been reading a lot of reviews, but I feel they don't answer my question directly.

Basically what I want to know is there a system that will help clear cigar smoke, while actively smoking, that doesn't vent outside. Experience on how loud such systems are, i.e. Will it effect watching TV or casual conversation? how good is it at fighting odur, or should I be looking for a separate piece of equipment that handles odor.

I think if there is something that can absorb the smoke as it is occurring, it should never get to bad with some occasional airing out. Opinions??? Thx.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yes there are indoor air purifiers for smoke, but I don't know the specific ones or could offer any recommendation. Not sure how well they work either. Why don't you want to vent outside, especially if you are worried your wife might change her mind if it starts getting too smokey inside? JFire and a couple other brothers I'm sure could offer any advice on their set-ups. That is my ultimate dream one day, to have a man-cave with ventilation to be able to smoke inside.

Congrats and good luck on your build!

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Also in a similar situation so would love to hear any advice on this. Only difference is id be willing to vent outside through a fullsize double window in the basement. Other than that pretty much in the exact same boat, drop ceiling, wife, ect....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
My opinion.......
You have 2 options. One you already stated is not a option. (to vent the room which I believe is the best option) The other option is less efficient but will at least help. There are a ton of filters out there that scrub the air as they clean. Anywhere from a 100 dollar Honeywell hepa unit to a 500 dollar rabitt air. All air filters will clean but at what rate and how well before the filters grt clogged and need to be replaced. Also most are increadibly loud. (even on high my rabbit air allows you to hold a conversation at least) Your other option may be to actually use one window as a exhaust vent and one as a fresh air intake when the weather isn't -30 by you. My biggest concern for you is the drop ceilings. You're going to have (IMO) seepage from that room. How much I don't know it's a guess. If I were you I'd go with a good hepa unit, a window fan and also a ion cluster machine (Bballbaby new machine) or a Ozinator like I have(Csonka) to run for 12 hrs after smoking. My only advice that I can give you straight forward. Keep cigar butts and ashtrays clean and immediately clean them after each use. It is half the prob of smells to begin with. Also floors need to be washed every couple of weeks IMO as well. Those two items are 90 of smell issues......
Have fun I love my lounge dearly.
Jfire

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
My opinion.......
You have 2 options. One you already stated is not a option. (venting) The other option is less efficient but will at least help. There are a ton of filters out there that scrub the air as they clean. Anywhere from a 100 dollar Honeywell to a 500 dollar rabit air. All air filters will clean but at what rate and how well before the filters clog and needing to be replaced. Your other option may be to actually use one window as a exhaust vent and one as a fresh air intake when the weather isn't -30 by you. My biggest concern for you I'd the drop ceiling. You're going to have (IMO) seepage from that room. How much I don't know it's a guess. I I were you I'd go with a good hepa unit, a window fan and also a ion cluster machine (Bballbaby new machine) or a Ozinator like I have( Csonka) to run for 12 hrs after smoking. My only advice that I can give you straight forward. Keep cigar butts and ashtrays clean and immediately clean them after use. It is half the prob of smells to begin with. Also floors need to be washed every couple of weeks IMO as well. Those two items are 90 of smell issues......
Have fun I love my lounge dearly.
Jfire
We all love your lounge haha

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Looking more at the venting now that I think I have good route out of the basement to vent. Any one see an issue with the vent exiting into the rooftop, and venting out the soffit.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Venting is the best, and really only, option to appease the wife. You have to exhaust the smoke or appeasing the wife won't happen. And, you have to drywall the ceiling. A drop ceiling will not work, even with an exhaust fan. For an exchange of air to occur, you have to control the air flow which means containing the air and sealing all escape routes. Without a proper seal, the venting will be almost a waste because air will still escape through the drop ceiling.

Don't half ass this. A happy wife is worth all the effort in getting it right because then she will leave you alone and won't complain. I did my room right and the wife never smelled a thing, just as Justin did his room right.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Looking more at the venting now that I think I have good route out of the basement to vent. Any one see an issue with the vent exiting into the rooftop, and venting out the soffit.
That is fine, just remember the longer the run, the more powerful exhaust fan you will need.