What's new

Cigar Room

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I decided to build my smoke room in my oversized 2 car garage. Here are some of the pictures and progress so far.
http://s58.photobucket.com/user/blue_goat/slideshow/Cigar Room
I want to find someone who can tape and spackle as I am not an expert at that. If anyone here has someone who can give me a quote for this I would appreciate it, I'm in Central New Jersey.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looks good. Also, not sure if you've already tried before, but it's actually pretty easy to get a decent finish on drywall. Tons of youtube videos out there can show you how to do it. They make self-adhesive joint tape, and with a little joint compound, water, a paint roller, a trowel, and a pole-sander (though block/sponge sanding works as well) you can have the whole room skim-coated and ready to prime/paint in an afternoon.

If you have already tried finishing drywall and just hate it, as I do with any kind of painting, then just ignore everything I said. I'm not near NJ or I would try to give you a referral. Good luck!

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've thought about this myself. My garage is full, but there is a storage loft out there. Might be just enough room to close if off underneith. Throw in a couple chairs, heat, and a TV and I'd be good to go.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've had "3rd car" section of my L-shaped "3-car garage" (has anyone EVER put a third car back there in one of these?) walled off for two or three years now. Always used a space heater with the back door cracked for ventilation, but it still gets really cold in there in the winter. Never got around to taping or mudding the wall, and never even got the garage-facing side of the wall rocked, cause we had another baby, then had twins!

Over Christmas break, we got rid of a lot of stuff, so all the crap that ended up in my room got moved back out into the main section of the garage or donated, so now my room is functional again. I'm hoping over the spring and summer to wire an exhaust fan and switches, sheetrock/tape/mud, and paint, so it's done by fall. Should be really nice when it's done... the trick is getting the dadgum thing done!!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've had "3rd car" section of my L-shaped "3-car garage" (has anyone EVER put a third car back there in one of these?) walled off for two or three years now. Always used a space heater with the back door cracked for ventilation, but it still gets really cold in there in the winter. Never got around to taping or mudding the wall, and never even got the garage-facing side of the wall rocked, cause we had another baby, then had twins!

Over Christmas break, we got rid of a lot of stuff, so all the crap that ended up in my room got moved back out into the main section of the garage or donated, so now my room is functional again. I'm hoping over the spring and summer to wire an exhaust fan and switches, sheetrock/tape/mud, and paint, so it's done by fall. Should be really nice when it's done... the trick is getting the dadgum thing done!!!

I'm envious! I've been scouring the listings in the town that my wife and I want to move to LOOKING for a house with one of those garages, solely for the purpose of having a space for a workshop near the vehicles. Otherwise, I'll need to find a detached garage or build a workshop in order to have an indoor smoking space. Sounds pretty amazing now, because I'm about to go out into 15* temps to enjoy a cigar. Hope you get your space finished for next winter!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put an exhaust in, I bought a 450 cfm fan with speed control, ran the duct work and it sucks the smoke out of the room. Fortunately the previous owner has a fireplace in the garage so I was able to hook the duct work to the existing flue so the smoke has a place to go. I didn't want to go to powerful with the fan because it would then just suck out all the heat. Right now I'm using an electric space heater and a kerosene heater (this kicks butt), but I may get a window AC/Heater very soon.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I put an exhaust in, I bought a 450 cfm fan with speed control, ran the duct work and it sucks the smoke out of the room. Fortunately the previous owner has a fireplace in the garage so I was able to hook the duct work to the existing flue so the smoke has a place to go. I didn't want to go to powerful with the fan because it would then just suck out all the heat. Right now I'm using an electric space heater and a kerosene heater (this kicks butt), but I may get a window AC/Heater very soon.
What kind of fan, and how loud is it? I'm trying to decide how many cfm to install right now. I too am worries amount sucking all the heat out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I bought and installed. I like it because it has a speed control, and plugs into 110v outlet. I also placed it outside of the room, so it's not that loud after you run your duct work. 315 cfm, 6 inches. With the TV on and space heater on, I don't hear the fan at all. It doesn't suck the smoke out of the room after each puff, but after you smoke, 20 min later the smoke is gone. I am also installing a ceiling fan and running it the opposite way, to help circulate the smoke up and heat down.

http://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Fan-Hydroponics-Ventilation-Circulation/dp/B00JGCCKEM/ref=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&qid=1420575682&sr=8-54&keywords=in+line+fan+6+in