What's new

Cigar sharing etiquette

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read some BOTL save somewhat "less desirable" cigars to hand out to non-regular smokers... the rationale being the relatively inexperienced don't have the ability to appreciate a good cigar, so why waste one on them. Likewise, real "moochers" aren't deserving of the same smoke as mine.
Personally, I can't subscribe to that practice. If hosting someone for dinner, let's say, I wouldn't offer a guest a different, cheaper, wine from the one I'm drinking because he doesn't have the ability to enjoy a more "refined" (IMO, of course) refined choice.
Likewise, if barbequing, can't see grilling up a steak for myself but hamburgers and hot dogs for a guest, unless, of course, he expressed a specific preference for a hamburger vs a NY sirloin.
My preference is for a stronger tasting stick; if I don't think my guest can handle a stronger cigar, then I would myself smoke the same milder choice offered to my less-experienced friend.
How do you guys approach/handle this issue? Or isn't it an issue for you??

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It's not an issue for me. I do now have a "mooch-a-dor" of okay cigars. They're not (usually) handed out as punishment but for guests who I know don't appreciate smoking a cigar and who are just going to light it and hold it.

But, I have friends who are new to cigars (newer than ME!!) and who I know are interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. For those people, I am more than willing to give them a decent cigar because it will make a difference.

I guess it comes down to who is likely to be asking for a cigar. I will always err on the side of generosity (for the same reason I won't serve Two-Buck Chuck to a new wine drinker just because they're new) but if I just know it's going to be wasted, then I'll hand them a cheap one.

It's the same reason I keep a bottle of Johnny Walker Red in the house

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
My humidor is open to anyone visiting to smoke whatever they want. Now, if that person is a newb, I will pick something for them and most likely it won't be anything too costly or too strong but not a cigar I wouldn't smoke. If they're a "mooch", then they get nothing and like it!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My humidor is open to anyone visiting to smoke whatever they want. Now, if that person is a newb, I will pick something for them and most likely it won't be anything too costly or too strong. If they're a "mooch", then they get nothing and like it!
Or let the mooch have one of those "CC" sticks in a glass tube that your co-worker's husband's boss brought back from their Caribbean cruise and only paid $4 each.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't have anything expensive/rare in my humidor, so I generally just open it up & let them decide (and offer suggestions of what I like). I have a few real cheapies in there still, because my buddy's father comes over to enjoy a smoke with us occasionally & actually prefers them. Guess as long as he likes them!

The only ones I ask them to leave are singles from samplers that I haven't tried yet.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I tend not to smoke anything mild. So I have a box of a few mild connies around for new guys who have never smoked anything and want to try. none of them are dog rockets, they are just not my usual go to.

But just like at my herfs, when a few friends are over there are no shortage of good cigars to smoke.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My humidor is open to anyone visiting to smoke whatever they want. Now, if that person is a newb, I will pick something for them and most likely it won't be anything too costly or too strong. If they're a "mooch", then they get nothing and like it!
Or let the mooch have one of those "CC" sticks in a glass tube that your co-worker's husband's boss brought back from their Caribbean cruise and only paid $4 each.
Wait, they paid $4??? I paid $6! They saw me coming a mile away!:argh:

But yes, I give people what I smoke. Having said that, I don't smoke anything high-dollar really do I don't feel guilty.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My guess is that you will be hard-pressed to find anyone on here who only serves the mooch-a-dor sticks to guests because cigars are a social thing and the brothers and sisters here are some of the most generous you'll find.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
If the person doesn't smoke regularly then they get a cheaper but generally good smoke that I like. If it's someone that knows cigars and appreciates it then everything is open to grab. I don't smoke HTF shit so it's all able to be replenished. Except maybe my stash of Special S...... Hahahaha!

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'll try and steer a newb away from the premiums, but towards the cheaper (not dirt cheap crap, but cheaper good stuff) end of the spectrum. I did give one of my mooch friend a fighting cock, he said it was the best cigar he's ever had...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
My humidor is open to anyone visiting to smoke whatever they want. Now, if that person is a newb, I will pick something for them and most likely it won't be anything too costly or too strong but not a cigar I wouldn't smoke. If they're a "mooch", then they get nothing and like it!
+1

If someone is a true mooch... they are likely not in my house enjoying my cigars in the first place...

I keep a "moochador" though.. basically a stash of inexpensive, but decent sticks.. mild to medium in strength.. to share with people that either arent regular smokers.. or have no appreciation (or desire to appreciate) for a quality cigar...

whenever I have friends over.. I am 99 out of 100 times going to fire up a smoke after dinner.. most of my friends smoke less than a half dozen cigars a year (with 5 of those being smoked at my house).. giving them a padron 80th would be a total waste.. I feel no qualm with them grabbing a Man O War Virtue though (mild, decent flavor, etc..)... or a padron 2000.. etc.. (things I commonly keep in the moochador..)..

My father in law probably hasnt bought a cigar in 40 years.. but... some of the best times he and I have ever had together have been sitting out in his garage BS'ing for a couple of hours while burning a 5 Vegas Classic or a Diesel Unholy Cocktail.. I buy these "cheapies" almost exclusively for this purpose.. he doesnt smoke EVER other than when I bring cigars... and couldnt tell the difference in a 5VC and an Opus Angles Share... but he enjoys the 5VC.. and we enjoy the time spent together..

Having a moochador isnt about holding out on your friends.. or denying them your choicest smokes... If one of my buds or my FIL expressed an interest in CC's.. or acted like they really wanted to try something super premium... I'd have no problem opening up the cabinet and letting them take a shot at anything they like... I've sent far better smokes to people Ive never seen, met, or even interacted with more than once or twice on a forum board... I certainly wouldnt intentionally deny people that I consider to be close friends and family..

the moochador is about practicality... and not giving your bud an aged lusitania (or letting him grab it out of your humidor, having no understanding or knowledge of what it is in the first place) knowing on the front end he will not appreciate it any more than the Illusione Rothschild you were going to select for him.. and that he is going to put it out about 1/2 through because he wasnt prepared for a 2+ hour long smoke...

having a moochador allows friends and family to be able to reach in and grab whatever they want.. whenever they want... they can pick a "light" cigar or a dark one.. a big one or a small one.. a long one or a short one.. a fat one or a skinny one.. etc..etc.. or... if they choose.. they can ask me to help.. and Ill pick one for them...

I see a moochador as giving my friends and family freedom... rather than restriction...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
+1

If someone is a true mooch... they are likely not in my house enjoying my cigars in the first place...

I keep a "moochador" though.. basically a stash of inexpensive, but decent sticks.. mild to medium in strength.. to share with people that either arent regular smokers.. or have no appreciation (or desire to appreciate) for a quality cigar...

whenever I have friends over.. I am 99 out of 100 times going to fire up a smoke after dinner.. most of my friends smoke less than a half dozen cigars a year (with 5 of those being smoked at my house).. giving them a padron 80th would be a total waste.. I feel no qualm with them grabbing a Man O War Virtue though (mild, decent flavor, etc..)... or a padron 2000.. etc.. (things I commonly keep in the moochador..)..

My father in law probably hasnt bought a cigar in 40 years.. but... some of the best times he and I have ever had together have been sitting out in his garage BS'ing for a couple of hours while burning a 5 Vegas Classic or a Diesel Unholy Cocktail.. I buy these "cheapies" almost exclusively for this purpose.. he doesnt smoke EVER other than when I bring cigars... and couldnt tell the difference in a 5VC and an Opus Angles Share... but he enjoys the 5VC.. and we enjoy the time spent together..

Having a moochador isnt about holding out on your friends.. or denying them your choicest smokes... its about practicality..... If one of my buds or my FIL expressed an interest in CC's.. or acted like they really wanted to try something super premium... I'd have no problem opening up the cabinet and letting them take a shot at anything they like... I've sent far better smokes to people Ive never seen, met, or even interacted with more than once or twice on a forum board... I certainly wouldnt intentionally deny people that I consider to be close friends and family..

the moochador is about practicality... and not giving your bud an aged lusitania (or letting him grab it out of your humidor, having no understanding or knowledge of what it is in the first place) knowing on the front end he will not appreciate it any more than the Illusione Rothschild you were going to select for him.. and that he is going to put it out about 1/2 through because he wasnt prepared for a 2+ hour long smoke...

having a moochador allows friends and family to be able to reach in and grab whatever they want.. whenever they want... they can pick a "light" cigar or a dark one.. a big one or a small one.. a long one or a short one.. a fat one or a skinny one.. etc..etc.. or... if they choose.. they can ask me to help.. and Ill pick one for them...

I see a moochador as giving my friends and family freedom... rather than restriction...
I really like that explanation

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I don't really have anything much that I wouldn't smoke so it usually is not an issue. I either just ask them to pick whatever they want (if they care about cigars) or I pick out five or six and let them pick.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
+1

<explain explain explain... lots of words... explain explain some more>
I really like that explanation

+1 on really liking the explanation, I guess +3? Maybe? On CMac...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
After one too many Ligas got burnt a third of the way through in a few minutes then left on a table, I stopped handing out good stuff.

To use the previous analogy, I wouldn't eat a steak while giving my guests hamburger, but that's because my guests know the difference. Their kids (and mine) get hamburger though, and most kids prefer hamburger.

Same thing goes for cigars. If it's someone I know appreciates cigars, my humi is theirs. If it's someone I know is going to smoke less then half and leave it, they get a cheapie. If it's a new guy, I give them a stick I appreciated as a new guy. Not only will a new guy probably not appreciate a full-bodied Tatuaje, he probably won't even like it. He might love the Perdomo 10th Champaign.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
everything is off premises in my locker - So if this is at my home, naturally I got it on me !

it would nowadays then go down like , "I got a rascc , scdlhep , and this party short thatll boogie woogie on your brain , which one you wanna smoke" ?

Thanks !

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I guess I am actually the reverse of most. I go out the way to give away good cigars.

Last weekend I went to my in laws house in the mountains. I took some cigars with me. My wife's uncle brought some cigars he bought from a cigar store the kind rolled in front of you, in a tourist trap type setting. I offered to trade my Monte #4 for one of his. he loved it smoked it to the nub. The cigar I received was pretty bad.

For Christmas and fathers day i Give my Father in law Pappas fritas, he has no idea how much they cost but he loves them. If he knew how much they cost he would likely consider me crazy. as he is quite frugal. his go to are black and milds and complains about their price, while smoking them at his mountain top retreat.

I have a family member who will occasionally smoke a cigar, quite the neophyte, a few years ago I gave him a CC he was constantly knocking the ash off, let it go out just past half way. It bother me at the time but just recently we were together and we was telling everyone how i gave him the best cigar he has ever smoked, etc.. etc..

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I guess I am actually the reverse of most. I go out the way to give away good cigars.

Last weekend I went to my in laws house in the mountains. I took some cigars with me. My wife's uncle brought some cigars he bought from a cigar store the kind rolled in front of you, in a tourist trap type setting. I offered to trade my Monte #4 for one of his. he loved it smoked it to the nub. The cigar I received was pretty bad.

For Christmas and fathers day i Give my Father in law Pappas fritas, he has no idea how much they cost but he loves them. If he knew how much they cost he would likely consider me crazy. as he is quite frugal. his go to are black and milds and complains about their price, while smoking them at his mountain top retreat.

I have a family member who will occasionally smoke a cigar, quite the neophyte, a few years ago I gave him a CC he was constantly knocking the ash off, let it go out just past half way. It bother me at the time but just recently we were together and we was telling everyone how i gave him the best cigar he has ever smoked, etc.. etc..
These are cigars given to other cigar smokers, I'd offer you damn near free range on any cigar in my humi, there are only a couple that are off limits, to me as well. Having said that, if you had a friend who has never smoked a cigar, would you give him a ten, or fifteen year old opus x?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
youre talking about a completely different scenario Ga Gator... one where YOU are controlling what is gifted... as opposed to just leaving the door open and letting anyone, grab anything... we're also talking Monte 4's and Papas Fritas.. which are nice cigars.. but are what a lot of the guys talking in this thread likely give to friends and/or leave in moochadors for their friends to grab as they like..

when talking moochadors.. people are talking about keeping two separate stashes.. one with their HTF, super premiums, and/or cigars that were gifted to them or hold some sort of personal value (whether high dollar value.. or sentimental value).. and the other with "common" smokes that they also enjoy smoking... but probably arent out of production, or super expensive, or were a gift from someone else, etc.. no one is talking about giving their friends/family dog rockets.... or anything that isnt "good".. what is being said is that some here think it makes more sense to have a little more passive control over what people are able to grab... as opposed to having to take active control...

for example.. if I gift you a 10 year aged Opus.. and tell you the next time we get together Ill bring one for myself and we'll burn them together.... is that cigar open game for anyone that comes into your house to smoke? or are you going to tell them "no"?... what about when you save your cigar budget for months so you can buy a box of LE's that youve been waiting to be released all year.. and then your drunk uncle who you love.. but has just finished off a pint of gin and a bottle of wine wants to grab a fistful of those LE's? are you going to be ok with that? or are you going to intervene?

The moochador allows your drunk uncle to grab whatever he wants, when he wants.. it allows your not drunk buddy that has no idea what an Opus is to have the freedom to choose anything he wants.. without you having to say "no".. etc.. and still end up with a good cigar that he will enjoy (the cigar wouldnt be in your moochador in the first place if it wasnt something you dont enjoy or wouldnt smoke yourself)....

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
When ever we are going to a social event or people are over at our house, I always have a selection of cigars for people to smoke. However my Humidor are off limits to everyone except me. I don't have any "friend" cigars. everything I smoke I will offer to them. However am not going to offer them my Expensive stuff like my Opus x or more expensive Cubans. I will offer them a selection of Nice Cuban Petit Coronas because I know that half of them aren't really cigar smokers and will prob. toss half of it. So I keep them nice and short. That's just me though. I love to share with company but I don't let them just rumage through my Humidors.