What's new

Cigar sharing etiquette

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't smoke socially much because my friends don't smoke. So this is a good read. My brother smokes regularly so I have no problem sharing a $20 stick with him. Last time I purposely took a smoke to a friend for his bachelor party he took 3 puffs and pitched it saying he couldn't handle it. I think it was an Oliva O or G. So I quit offering people smokes unless they ask. But I also don't socialize that much. Maybe I'm just a loser.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Lots of good stuff here. Most of my friends don't smoke but I will usually still offer to be nice. And when they say "sure", they get from my humi, however it's usually a cheaper stick that I enjoy.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I don't smoke socially much because my friends don't smoke. So this is a good read. My brother smokes regularly so I have no problem sharing a $20 stick with him. Last time I purposely took a smoke to a friend for his bachelor party he took 3 puffs and pitched it saying he couldn't handle it. I think it was an Oliva O or G. So I quit offering people smokes unless they ask. But I also don't socialize that much. Maybe I'm just a loser.
That's pretty harsh on yourself I mean

I'm not a real social creature either, I find more in common with you guys than most I meet out n about, most people I know can't appreciate a good cigar, the few friends I have that do smoke are free to choose from anything I have

If someone doesn't typically smoke cigars but is interested I'll pick out a few milder cigars that I would smoke and let them choose

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
With 2 young kids and a wife I just don't get out much anymore other than work Whtwtrman79. I don't usually smoke till the kids go to bed and that's too late for me to go out and smoke socially. So I consider my cigar time my quiet alone time where no one bothers me.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Mine is wide open, but i will warn non regulars of strong ones. I figure if i don't blow them away they might actually like it and make it through a whole cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is wide open, but i will warn non regulars of strong ones. I figure if i don't blow them away they might actually like it and make it through a whole cigar.
I kinda think this pretty much summarizes my attitude.... a $10 Montechristo is fairly mild. A mild cigar needn't equate to a cheap entry.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statesville, North Carolina. United States.
My humidor is open to anyone. Guests, brothers and sisters of the leaf. Friends and family. From distant family to friends of friends. Maybe I'm just that generous? I don't know. I always ask if they are into cigars. See what they say and what they know I suppose like a test. That way I know when I open my humidor, I can select or that person can a cigar that they would enjoy. If they don't smoke, they don't get a cigar. If they have been curious, I start them with flavor infused like I did and most of my friends that I helped et started. Such as the Tabak and the Acid line from Drew Estates. After a few visits, they start bringing their own cigars and even drop some in my humidor as a thank you or hand over what they have as thanks for getting me started or thanks for hooking me up with a cigar when I forgot mine.

In most cases sense the JRs isn't far from me at all I'll take them there if that person wants to go. Maybe it's shitty to keep tabs on who has had what from me. It's a way to find out who's the mooch you know? If I give you 3 plus cigars and you never ever buy any of your own then I know the deal. Get your hands out my box. I have so few that those are for me, and my brothers and sisters of the leaf.

Even friends can be moochers. Thankfully I don't have that going on. My smoke to purchase ratio is awful. I can smoke but not fill up my three humidors for a worth a damn. Family and bills. Then cigars. While at any smoke shops I give them suggestions. I hate it when they hover around like I'm going to buy them one. It's happened.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I don't really see this as an issue personally. It reminds me of when I was new to the cigar life. I was offered Brick House, Nubs, etc. Some cheaper, decent smokes to get my feet wet. I was very appreciative of the experience of the HERF more than the cigar itself. When I meet new guys who show interest in the hobby, I would ask them what they want. I can typically accommodate them. If they want mild/med body, cool. If they want an ass kicker, sure but good luck.

In the end, if they just come over once or twice to have a nice cigar, it's no big deal. More than that, I would show them the way to a local B&M so they can buy and bring their own. I will just try to steer them down the right path like I was, if they are legitimately interested.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I have friends that are big beer/cocktail moochers. The kicker is my household has a mortgage and they were renting a house from a friend for a good deal LESS than the mortgage payment and as a couple they have about $45k more salary coming into the home. Needless to say I stopped being so generous with drinks......

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The beautiful thing about cigars is that it is a very social hobby and brings people together, even those who don't smoke. The problem is that cigars can be expensive. Once you become known as the guy who always has cigars, people expect you to bring them. They don't put any thought into the fact that they can be expensive, especially when they throw them out after ten minutes. I have a friend I smoke with weekly who asks me every time how much is it and when I tell him he seems shocked. I don't mind because he smokes the whole thing. I never ask for money or feel as though he is getting over on me. If I go to a place where I think the people won't appreciate the cigars I always stop by Holts and grab their own bundles. It's about 60-70 bucks for 25 cigars, they taste good so I don't mind smoking one, and the people appreciate them. I handed them out to people at my wedding and people loved them, and if they didn't smoke them I didn't feel bad because they were under 3 bucks a stick.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statesville, North Carolina. United States.
I love going into a smoke shop, people saying hello and being friendly with one another. It reminds me of how it was before everyone had iPhones and androids glued to their hands. Where you went out and had interactions with people and that's how you made friends and so on. I like how the cigar community has stayed true. It's one of the most social things I've done and my favorite. Everyone I've meet when it comes to cigars are the friendliest people I've met and became friends with. I mean, my first day I went to my local shop, a guy had asked how long I smoked. We got to talking about cigars and what we've smoked what we like. Me still being new and learning I was taught a good deal. Without saying it, he saw me out the walk in humidor. However what happened I wasn't expecting. He bought me a namakubi presidente. One of the tobacconists I became good Friends also did things like that. Weather I bought something or not, he would always lay on the counter right before I left a cigar from his stash he brought with him to have.

Asylum
Punch
Arturo Fuente and more.

It's an awesome experience and I love the community ever sense that first day. From there I made it to the Cigar Dojo and shortly after made my account here.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have a drawer for cigars that were "gifted" to me that are off limits to guests. Just because I feel like if someone gave it to me, they did so with the intention of me smoking it. Other then that, like many others, I just offer advice (size, strength, fullness etc.) based on their level of cigar smoking. That being said, I have a few smokes that I am saving for special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries, job stuff…) that I have saved for specific reason but there are only a few and I will explain what they are and why I have them to people if they ask. More often then not, I point my "newbie" friends in the direction of the couple boxes of Padron x000's that I have. That way they will be getting a good quality, nice tasting smoke and if they like it enough to buy some for their own stash, I won't have to tell them that they are 15+ each.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The way I approach this issue has worked out fairly well in the past. My wineador is broken up into shelves by desirability and if I offer a guest a stick from a Lower drawer, eg hoyo, r&j bully, smokes along that nature. I also smoke from that shelf. My guest dosent feel slighted, and I get the chance to remember why my cherished smokes are cherished, and in the top shelf.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I encourage you to go to the introductions forum and follow this boards etiquette.. Before encouraging others here on cigar sharing etiquette

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I encourage anyone to start smoking with the best, if you give a sub par cigar they will not have an interest in the hobby..
Your pallette changes though. Some newer guys will think the perdomo 10th champagne are the best thing ever, but some guys here might not even touch em cause of how mild they are, or any other reason.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't have anything in my humidor I wouldn't smoke, so whatever I give someone they should enjoy or at least have the ability to enjoy if they know a good smoke.

If I know that the person doesn't smoke much and is just smoking a stick to smoke a stick, then they're not getting a Liga/Tat/Opus/CC out of my cabinet. I'll pick something I think they'll like. If they're into cigars and want to try something I have they've never had before...have at it. But I won't waste a good stick on someone that won't appreciate it's rarity. Food's a different matter all together, but alcohol is not. I home brew and if someone asks for a beer and all they drink is Bud Lite/Miller Lite I probably won't offer them a craft IPA unless they ask for it. I keep some standard beer in my Keezer for such occasions.