What's new

cigar shop going out of business

tandblov

Just Another Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you are saying is if I can get a box online for $150, but the b&m has the same box but wants $190, I should buy it from them? I think you need to be competative in all markets. If you can't be competative then you don't have a chance. I think there are quite a few places (b&m's) that where and are looking to take advantage of a rising market aren't doing enough homework before the start thier business. That's why I decided not to open a b&m. Too competative.

I am not saying I don't support local b&m's, I am saying that money has a value in todays world and you need to spend it as wisely as possible.
i'm not telling you what to do.

but, I have no problem paying more to a local (even though they are competitive) for a number of reasons.

when you spend your money locally, it stays local, provides jobs locally, supports your schools, etc.

online retailers avoid sales and state tobacco taxes, and can afford to undercut your local guy. Why do you think Pete and Dion, the padrons, and others, maintain a policy of MSRP for all retailers? It's brand protection as well as
protecting the retailers.

their are so many reasons to buy locally, that it's worth the premium. The trade off for a small discount on a 200 dollar luxury product aint worth it to me. I'd rather keep my money local.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i'm not telling you what to do.

but, I have no problem paying more to a local (even though they are competitive) for a number of reasons.

when you spend your money locally, it stays local, provides jobs locally, supports your schools, etc.

online retailers avoid sales and state tobacco taxes, and can afford to undercut your local guy. Why do you think Pete and Dion, the padrons, and others, maintain a policy of MSRP for all retailers? It's brand protection as well as
protecting the retailers.

their are so many reasons to buy locally, that it's worth the premium. The trade off for a small discount on a 200 dollar luxury product aint worth it to me. I'd rather keep my money local.
I support my local B&M because they have a lounge, and they take care of me if they get something special. I live in Texas, so our cigar tax is practically non-existent at the moment (knock on wood) and they always sell at MSRP, so I don't mind paying a bit more and buying from them. I think my state government is doing a pretty OK job, so I don't mind paying sales tax.

I buy online some, but I only do it if it is something that my B&M doesn't carry, or the online shop isn't making much money on it.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I support my local B&M because they have a lounge, and they take care of me if they get something special. I live in Texas, so our cigar tax is practically non-existent at the moment (knock on wood) and they always sell at MSRP, so I don't mind paying a bit more and buying from them. I think my state government is doing a pretty OK job, so I don't mind paying sales tax.

I buy online some, but I only do it if it is something that my B&M doesn't carry, or the online shop isn't making much money on it.
We also don't have a State income tax in Texas :) :assaultri

~brooks

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0

If the difference was small, I'd prefer to buy locally too. But my local charges 10-20% OVER msrp, and they're douchebags. When I make it down to Jungle Jim's or The Party Source I like to buy from them, but I tend to stick to ... sticks ... that I can't get a discount for online anyway--like Illusione's, new cigars, etc. Plus those two places are often willing to give a discount anyway. But if they would match the online deals, I'd buy from them exclusively.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
If the difference was small, I'd prefer to buy locally too. But my local charges 10-20% OVER msrp, and they're douchebags. When I make it down to Jungle Jim's or The Party Source I like to buy from them, but I tend to stick to ... sticks ... that I can't get a discount for online anyway--like Illusione's, new cigars, etc. Plus those two places are often willing to give a discount anyway. But if they would match the online deals, I'd buy from them exclusively.
I agree completely. Not trying to ruffle anyones feathers here. I just think money talks. And if a b&m is willing to match a price, I would be buying there exclusively. But where I come from, they are all trying to make a killing (well over msrp) and blame it on the taxes.

For example. One of my favorite shops which I helped understand what the real smoker was looking for, sells opus in the tins (3 packs) for 70/80/90 bucks a pop. Please, I don't think taxes drove that.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I've seen the same opus tins (worth 50 bux) for sale at 100-130... No thanks. You know how much more I can get for 130... Come on!