What's new

cigar shop humidors

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all I would like to know what you think about cigar shop humidors.I for one
get turned off when I see display type humidors.I find that the shops with the walk in humidors have less problems with mold and beetels.That is just my opion I would like to hear what you brothers think.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
It all depends on the knowledge of the people who work at the shop. I've seen some that take great care of their cigars and can recommend good alternatives based on your likes / dislikes. I've also seen people at cigar shops who don't know wrapper leaf from saran wrap.

The worst case of mold I've seen was in a small walk-in humidor. They used a small powered humidifier on the floor, directed toward the back row of shelves. It was on a timer plugged into the wall. Many rows of cigars on that back wall were covered in mold ... although the owner thought this was plume. I tried to tell him otherwise, but he knew better. I never returned and that shop went out of business about 6 months later ...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I prefer going to a shop with a walk in...and preferrably a shop that keeps it's infused/flavored cigars in a seperate display case.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
All dozen or so shops I've been in around here have walk-ins; the only time you'll find display humidors are for special cigars (expensive, brand specific, flavored, etc).

Personally, I've never seen mold in a display humidor, only walk-ins....and I've *never* seen a beetle in any shop, period.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm partial to walk in, if for no other reason than they simply have a better "feel" to them than a display humi.

The absolute worst I've seen was a cigar shop in a strip mall that had display humidors and no tint on the shop windows. You could see the very obvious effects of sun bleaching on some of the print materials, yet the shop owner was insistent that it didn't affect the cigars nearer the front of the shop. Despite the fact that he only kept the real crap stuff that close to the front windows, I still walked out on principle.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Out here by the coast the walk in is not as essential. My friend is just building his walkin as the store has laways just been displys. If the humidity gets below whats needed he fired up a humidifier at night. Has worked well for the shop for 16 years, with never a problem. Holts, one of the most gorgeous shops I have ever had the pleasure of entering, is all open.

On the otherhand I was in a uge shope outside of LA with a giant walkin. IN the back I pulled a cigars and it was riddled with beetles. I brought to the owner, pointed out the box. He pitched the cigar and left the box. Never went in again.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Cool. That ones on my list to visit. I visited Blackcat also while in Phily. Kind of a rabbit warren but lots of Pepins. Nice people.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Damn. Ill be in Florida at the end of April but Sarasota. Maybe rent a car and do some driving.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of you are in Manhattan, check out J&R Cigar on 5th Avenue at 46th Street. The entire place is a humidor (2 floors), and the aromas are mouth-watering. The staff is very helpful and always eager to make recommendations.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite shop has display humidors and a rolling room. I've only been in the rolling room once.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The Carona Cigar store in Orlando is like that. The whole store is the humidor...from the instant you walk in.
Yeah, their prices are a little high, but I'd imagine their overhead is quite steep. 1st time I went I couldn't believe my eyes. I had never seen so many cigars in all my life! :crosseyed

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have not stepped foot into my local shop in a few years.. I might need to head back over there

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Holts, one of the most gorgeous shops I have ever had the pleasure of entering, is all open.

I was in there about a year ago and I was droling with my mouth open the whole time I was there. Then I went above it to Mahogany on Walnut for a few drinks and a few cigars. Very good night.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
oh and I don't have a real prefrence but I do like the nice smell of a walk-in humi. And I have never found mold or bettles in any shop I have been in .