What's new

Cigar tasting

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A lot of reviews note sticks that have pepper, or peppery.

When you talk about a stick with pepper, are you referring to the actual taste of pepper, or the sensation of inhaling pepper (the tingle/burn in the nose)?

I also don't understand spice. I think of spice, as hot (spicy), but spice can of course be sweet. Again, is this an actual taste, or sensation. I note at the end of a stick, as it gets hotter, the inhale begins to put heat on the tongue/lips, which gives the sensation of having eaten something spicy.

Curious what others here think about this.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Simple answer is... All of the above.

Really though, pepper can be both a sensation, and a flavor, black pepper, chilis, red pepper, white pepper, all are both tastes and a certain physical sensation on the palate.

As for spice, it can be used (and I do this personally) to describe both heat, like from hot pepper, or spice like cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, etc. I often get different physical degrees of heat that accompany these various flavors. For instance, cinnamon flavors tend to be accompanied by a dry sweetness, and just a touch of heat, where black pepper tends to have a sharpness, and rarely is sweet, and has it's own sort of roof-of-the-mouth-heat, just like you would get if you bit into a bit too much black pepper in something you were eating.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
ok, first off, tasting the nuances or subtle flavors in a cigar, or wine for that matter, will depend on your pallet. And how familiar with flavors you are.

My wife, being a culinary student/chef, goes thru a ton more tasting experiences than I do. So when she grabs a draw from my cigar, she recognizes flavors almost imeadiatly.

Spice, to me, is cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and the sort. Pepper, is Black pepper. You will find hay, citrus, leather, floral, barnyard (bit more tangy than hay).

If you're diggin for flavors be sure to rinse your mouth well, but toothpaste will ruin it. Drink water, not soda, beer or liquor.

Have fun

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
To me Pepper is hot and spice is not. It probably depends on your pallet, but I agree with Dave that each will be a bit different.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Of course it's always open to interpretation, but whenever I read pepper or spice, I'm thinking of the tingling/burning sensation you feel more than anything. And not when you pee, either.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
ok, first off, tasting the nuances or subtle flavors in a cigar, or wine for that matter, will depend on your pallet. And how familiar with flavors you are.

My wife, being a culinary student/chef, goes thru a ton more tasting experiences than I do. So when she grabs a draw from my cigar, she recognizes flavors almost immediately.

Spice, to me, is cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and the sort. Pepper, is Black pepper. You will find hay, citrus, leather, floral, barnyard (bit more tangy than hay).

If you're diggin for flavors be sure to rinse your mouth well, but toothpaste will ruin it. Drink water, not soda, beer or liquor.

Have fun
What he said, the guy who hacked Dave's account. I don't agree with the no liquor or beer part though.