What's new

Cigar to say goodbye with

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe a little morbid but it’s what I’m doing right now so I thought I’d share. I came down from NYC to Florida to say goodbye to my 99 year old grandfather who is almost at the end. He’s not sick and hasn’t lost any of his faculties, his body is just kind of failing from old age. He seems ready and pretty peaceful about it.

Anyway I brought down a My Father, La Opulencia. I’m sitting on a bench at the beach at night just enjoying the flavors, remembering this man who came Into the world almost 100 years ago, and thinking about the big questions.

We always celebrate with cigars when someone is born. How about when someone dies? Celebrate might not be the right word. Maybe... mark the occasion? This cigar is definitely helping me savor this pensive moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In any event...it's a celebration of life...born and passing. I think the ritual cements personal feelings and you'll associate the memory of your Granfather with that cigar every time you smoke one. Thoughts are with you and you're a good grandson to be so observant...your Grandad is proud of you for sure.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Celebrate is the right word. When my grandfather passed I celebrated the great man he was and the awesome life he led. We have to celebrate great people we've had in our lives and that is exactly what they would want us to do. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah you guys get it for sure. I found a shop in Ft Lauderdale that had La Aurora Cien Anos. This was one of my favorites when I started smoking and I haven’t seen them anywhere in years. I bought a fiver, am smoking one now, again on the beach.

I really can’t believe my luck, a cien anos to celebrate this near centarian. A great man and an awesome life indeed.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. Enjoy the time with him while you can and hell if he can have a smoke with you go grab one and shoot the shit with him. That would be something quite memorable if you ask me.

And if my time comes before my wife, my friends or my family and they don’t at least all gather around and have one last toast and/or a cigar for me I’ll definitely come back to haunt all their asses!!!!

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feel like we too often wait untill the end to celebrate life, or fail to appreciate our celebration. Life is pressous and we should take time to realize that far more often than we should. It can be as simple as a shared smile or an off color joke with friends, or as grand as anything you can imagine. 99 years is a hell of a long time to acquire stories and experiences. I would love to hear some of his wisdom and stories over those many years. I work in a hospital, every day I see people on the best, worst, first and last days of their lives. I always try to take time to hear at lest part of their stories. Cherish your memories and share them with those close to you, and when the end does come, remember to celebrate his life and the lives of everyone in your life. When his time does come, it will be hard, but you have people to share your pain with, and your brothers here will be at your side for you.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Trenton. You’re absolutely correct. I had a wonderful relationship with the man and am reminded how important it is to appreciate each other while we’re can.

I naturally am not the type to hold a grudge, but some family relationships get strained over the years to the point that some of us hardly communicate anymore. What a waste of time! This event has brought the extended family back together in the best way. Petty score keeping is no way to live your life.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a great tribute to your grandfather. Whenever I visit my father's gravesite, I bring his favorite donut and smIke a cigar he makes for a very relaxed visit.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a little morbid but it’s what I’m doing right now so I thought I’d share. I came down from NYC to Florida to say goodbye to my 99 year old grandfather who is almost at the end. He’s not sick and hasn’t lost any of his faculties, his body is just kind of failing from old age. He seems ready and pretty peaceful about it.

Anyway I brought down a My Father, La Opulencia. I’m sitting on a bench at the beach at night just enjoying the flavors, remembering this man who came Into the world almost 100 years ago, and thinking about the big questions.

We always celebrate with cigars when someone is born. How about when someone dies? Celebrate might not be the right word. Maybe... mark the occasion? This cigar is definitely helping me savor this pensive moment.

Nothing morbid about this at all. Thank you for sharing. To paraphrase the late movie director and WW II rifleman Samuel Fuller. "A cigar clears the mind and warms the heart"

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cigar is the medium for diversion..not a celebration nor a solution..you can be either extremely sad or extremely happy for a couple of days but not everyday..so for me cigar is intermittent.