What's new

Cigar Tracking

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Hey fellas,

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to pass along my recent experience and to see what others are doing. I haven't used any cigar inventory tracking system for some time now(I started using Excel but stopped a long time ago), but since I just got my new cabinet humi and had to move everything I figured it's a good time to do an inventory and start using a system to track them.

I listed all my boxes with box codes etc and typed them into a Google Document. I can then view my Google Docs on my iPhone and I'm able to edit it as I'm smoking at the B&M, or wherever I'm at. I can also access the docs with any pc, anywhere that has WiFi. I downloaded the G-Whizz Google Apps browser. I am tempted to upgrade to the $2.99 version because the adds are annoying, but it's a great app.

I didn't bother doing this for singles as that would've been way too much work, but it sure is nice to view all my boxes and know the box codes for them. If I'm in the mood for an older CC, I can sort by years and see what I might like. If I want to see who I buy from the most, I can sort by vendor.

What do you guys use?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know if it was a normal thing to do but yeah, I keep a couple spreadsheets/Google Docs files. 1 with cigars I've tried, how much I paid, if I liked them, etc. I only have about 12 lines on this one, just trying to keep ahead of the game. Another file for sticks I'd like to try and a ballpark price I'd pay. With all the reading I am doing it's sometimes hard for me to remember if its really one I want to try or just one I read something about.

I have done a bunch of small database type stuff for various jobs and excel has been more than adequate.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I track mine with my Rate My Cigar for DROID. Its ok for purchase dates, size, quantities, and price paid but it is lacking a few features I would like, but for the most part it is pretty good. I don't have many boxes, mostly singles so i do keep up with those. Adding cigars from scratch can be a pain though.

Im am glad that others track inventory, dates, etc...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Mobile Stogie Pro 3.1.3 on my I phone to track mine. Has some nice features to include a page for me to rate the cigars I smoke.....

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Used to use Rate My Cigar, but realized I was doing it all by memory anyway and decided to stop with the program. I remember the purchase date of damn near every smoke, and the ones I don't, I have a good idea of. That's good enough for me. :)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just use an "old school" method. I only buy boxes of smokes I like so no guesswork there. I place a small white ID sticker on the box when I put it in my coolidor. I have a very large cooler and its kept upright on its end and all my boxes have the ID sticker facing out so I can see the dates on the boxes. I buy from 2-3 local BM's and 2-3 online vendors at times so it minimizes keeping track of many sources.
Its simple but it works for me. Guess I am showing my age too :pimp1:

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Timely post. I have been using TiddlyWiki for the last couple of years. It is a wiki that is a single JavaScript enabled HTML file

Problem is I could access it cross platform - windows, iPhone, Linux, iPad et al

Also I couldnt share it

Last night during the recording of te podcast I did a segment in using Evernote for this

Cross platform, which syncs, and you can tag and share in the web

I started with a dozen or so smokes and some tags like collection, favorite, and wish list.

Check it

https://www.evernote.com/pub/tmugherini/cigars

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I don't keep track of them other than with my brain...which admittedly sometimes fails me. I have on a few occasions thought of doing something to keep track of when/where I get cigars from, but it often seems a little more work than I want to deal with. So if I can find some way of doing it that is easy, but also provides a good amount of other features I'd give it a go.

Last night during the recording of te podcast I did a segment in using Evernote for this
This interests me though...

Dan

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I don't keep track of them other than with my brain...which admittedly sometimes fails me. I have on a few occasions thought of doing something to keep track of when/where I get cigars from, but it often seems a little more work than I want to deal with. So if I can find some way of doing it that is easy, but also provides a good amount of other features I'd give it a go.

Dan

+1. I feel the same way. I wish I wasnt so lazy. Although, I mostly buy singles, but whatever I buy, I should keep track of.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I just label the purchases. In the RV I'm worried about wrapper damage to my cigars, so they are either in full boxes, or in 5 finger bags. Everything has a small label with the where, and the when. Since I buy all over the country as I travel, I like to keep track on the where. It's great to grab a cigar and remember it being from 'that time in Reno' or as a gift from someone.

I used to do the spreadsheets. I still have one that was fairly elaborate with all the size, dates, prices, and if I have the cigar in my RV, my locker, or in my other storage. In the end, it wasn't worth all that effort. I'd always end up handing out cigars to friends and didn't want to check each one off the list as I passed them out, so it was never very accurate. Now I just keep track of what I have at a friends house in his storage.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I also use rate my cigar for Droid. Picked it up a few days ago. For 3$ it costs as much as a cheap notebook and I can look up the cigars from a drop down menu. Also let's me add comments, a star rating and add pictures. Since every cigar I try is new to me it really works well.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
I write the when where and how much on the bottom of boxes and singles get banded. Anything else for me is just too much to keep up with. I like some of the other posts really only buy form a few places and could go back and get a purchase history IF i really wanted to see it.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I do nothing. As long as I have some Liga in there, I don't care when and where.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The one downfall on Evernote is there is no template feature, so I created note with my own template, and copy a new note from it each time I add a stick, this saves the time of typing wrapper, binder, etc each and every time

Also the free version is limited to 60 MB a month so if you are attaching photos u may want to resize them first or drop quality on the camera

Or for $5 a month you get 1 GB

Just a couple of tips for those who may check it out

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I also use rate my cigar for Android, it works well for what im trying to do. Still havent added all my Cigars though and sometimes I dont use it for every cigar smoke BC I dont feel like typing on my phone.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't keep track of what I have, but whenever I buy something I throw a sticker on there with the date. And I do 90%+ of my purchases at 1 spot.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
For those that use RateMyCigar, did you know that you can import a CSV file? That means that you can add everything into a file on your computer, then import the whole thing into your phone.

To figure out the format, just export what you have and open the file. Use that as a model.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
If its a single and has a small P on the secondary band I placed on it I know I purchased it on the date written. Such as Opus xXx P 4-9-09. If there's no "P" it's replaced with where it's origin. IE "Bday bomb from Cmac" in a lower line. Boxes have a date already compliments of the Island. That's all I need to know.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I need to get some of those secondary bands. I was using little sticky labels, but I've had problems with them falling off and then not knowing where the stick came from!