What's new

"Cigar Wetting"

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I mentioned this in [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=35615"]another post[/ame] and thought I'd share what I'd read on the subject. It sounds crazy but I've talked to a few old-timers now that swear by it. I've tried it out a couple of times and I have to say the cigars burnt very well, but not sure if they burnt better than if I hadn't done this.

Anyhow, this is copied from another forum that copied it from another forum :lookaroun so I'm not sure where the original post came from.

After reading about "Cigar Wetting" on another forum, I have been using this technique for the past two months on almost all the Cuban cigars I smoke.
I am not clear on the exact reasoning but I have been very pleased with the results.

In the original thread the method of wetting was to take the uncut cigar, held at a slight angle with the cap up towards the tap or faucet. With the water running, pass the cigar under the water two or three times, wetting the entire cigar. Then you take your finger and wipe away the excess water being sure the entire cigar is evenly wet.

I do it a bit differently as I have my spray bottle next to my cigar storage. I hold the cigar in my left hand and spray it 3 or 4 times being sure to cover the entire cigar with the spray. Then I wipe down the cigar to spread the moisture evenly and eliminate the excess.

You'll notice that with either method small droplets will appear on the wrapper, this is the reason for wiping with your finger.

Cut the cigar and smoke as normal. At first the wrapper may wrinkle bit, but within the first inch most signs of moisture should disappear.

I wont go into the specifics of the effects of wetting on flavor as it could influence you if you decide to experiment. I would suggest you try this with two machine made or tripa corta cigars side by side. See if you notice any flavor differences.

At first I thought this was a joke and said no way it can make a difference. But after two months I can say that there are not any cigars I would hesitate to "wet" before smoking. I even wet the 30+year old Por Larranaga I smoked just minutes into the New Year.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
so... how do you know that the staining you've experienced with the RP wasn't the result of tar seeping through the wrapper after wetting?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
so... how do you know that the staining you've experienced with the RP wasn't the result of tar seeping through the wrapper after wetting?
The dying on my hands was instant, it had to be something ON the wrapper rather than pigmentation in the leaf itself. Others mentioned that this happens naturally, like when brewing tea, but that process takes a few minutes for the pigment to work its way out and this was within 1-2 seconds.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There isn't that much tar that close to the surface of even the oiliest wrapper, and water on the wrapper isn't going to magically make all the tar in a cigar come to the surface. This wrapper was died, and frankly, it doesn't surprise me with rocky.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Also, the wrapper will cause the water to bead and it is difficult to saturate the cigar binder and filler unless you soak the cigar in water. The wetting method is basically just adding moisture to the surface of the wrapper.

Need to give it a shot as I hear nothing but good things about it...

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I was under the impression that old timers did this back when cigars were still coated completely in agar to keep humidification...

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
quick question.....is the water used tap or distilled, curious.
Just based on the discussions that I've read it's usually tap water. In a humidifier you're concerned with it leaving residue behind once it evaporates but that's not a concern here. Some say run it under the tap, one guy keeps a mister of distilled water nearby and others said they simply lick the cigar!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Just because you can fill your radiator with piss and run you car, doe not mean you should. Having never seen this before, and having not been shown a reason to try it, I have to wonder why someone would.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just because you can fill your radiator with piss and run you car, doe not mean you should. Having never seen this before, and having not been shown a reason to try it, I have to wonder why someone would.
But using your 'piss in the radiator' as an example... if you went that route you've get deposits in the cooling system and the effects on the vehicle could be destructive.

If we look at this in the same way what are the possible effects? A softer, me pliable wrapper leaf? I could see a wrapper with a little extra moisture being more forgiving of slight imperfections, maybe some small cracks might not open up as much. You don't saturate the cigar so the minor amount of moisture in the wrapper won't negatively impact the burn.

I've spent time around cigar personalities as well as others that have smoked for 30 years, I'd never heard of this until last week. However some of those same old-timers have chimed in to say, "Oh yeah, I used to do that, not sure why I stopped."

I'm not advocating this (not yet at least), just adding some food for thought. It's any interesting discussion topic either way.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have done this numerous time with good results, sometimes it will help loosen a tight draw. I know a gentleman who stores his cigars @ 55%, pulls them out runs them under the tap, rubs off excess water, waits a minute or so and fires em up. They always taste great and burn perfect.

I have read recently some believe it improves the taste of young (tannic) cigars, I have not tried this yet but may someday.

I did this last night to a custom Salamone from 01 and it burned perfect and tasted great. The reason I did it was these have very thin wrappers and I've had them split before.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have done this many times usually in a very dry climate like AZ or Las Vegas. Oneaday taught me this trick when you have a dry wrapper or will be smoking in a very dry climate.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I've use saliva to moisten the wrapper when I have concerns about possible splitting. Dry weather, some delicate wrappers, especially a Cabaiguan or any Connie. Trust me it's not a pretty sight.