What's new

Cigar wrappers peeling off

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've started having a recurring problem with a number of cigars recently: the cigar's outer wrapper begins to unravel where I clip the cigar. I'm using a Zino guillotine-style cutter that I've used for years, but the cut is clean. The cigars burn well and taste fine.

I am storing my sticks in Spanish cedar trays stacked in a cooler with 65 degree beads, which I recharge as needed. I have two hygrometers, one on the middle tray and one on the top tray. These typically read between 65-67% RH. They were calibrated last year and both were pretty accurate.

Any ideas on what might be causing the problem? I suspect the cigars might be a little dry, but I don't know how to tell for sure.

Thanks. I appreciate any advice you can provide.

- Greenhouse.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Other may have better suggestions and pictures are always helpful but you may be cutting too much off at the head... not sure?

A good cut will leave most of the shoulder intact. The tapered part is the shoulder. You basically only need to cut off a sliver of the cap to get a good draw... if you cut off too much you will get unraveling of the wrapper... maybe this isn't the case for you though.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Although the cut may seem clean, if your humidor is at the % you say on a consistent basis, I'd try a different cutter and see if it makes a difference. Even if you buy a cheap disposable cutter, the first cuts should be very good.

Other than that, are you having the same issues with all different kinds of wrappers?

I'm using a Zino guillotine-style cutter that I've used for years, but the cut is clean.

Thanks. I appreciate any advice you can provide.

- Greenhouse.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What part of the country are you in? Humidity is much lower in the winter. Cigars don't smoke well below 35%.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Put the cigar by your ear and give it a little squeeze. If it crackles then your cigars are too dry. If not then either you are cutting off too much of the cap or you got some bum cigars.

audio1der

Cuban cigar snob #1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For another cutting suggestion, try "circumcizing" the cap rather than cutting some off. I gently cut into the upper shoulder, than rotate either the cigar or the cutter until I'm cut through mosst of he way around, then peel back and cut off any cap which is left.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. I'll get a new cutter and see if that helps (good excuse to get a new cutter). I guess it's possible that I've started cutting too much off the end, but I think it's unlikely, but I'll pay attention to that as well.

Thanks again,
Greenhouse.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Sometimes I will set my cutter flat on the table, put the cigar end into the cutter area and cut it flat on my table. Takes off the perfect amount. They do make cutters with solid backs, but if you don't feel the need to buy a whole set up for a simple process.