What's new

CigarmMedics Humidimeter

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Anyone have any experience with the CigarmMedics Humidimeter?

Was generously blindsided with a gift of one yesterday and am interested in any info on them, but especially any tips on using it, and pro and cons of them.

Thanks,
Sean

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
After our conversation on this with Jakethesnake and Boudie, I tried reading the head of cigars instead of the foot, and the readings were more consistent. If you insert the probes into the foot, it seems like your reading drops almost immediately, because of air getting in the foot. If you insert the probes into the head end, the reading will probably be more accurate, but then you’ll have two tiny little holes in the head of your cigar. Not a huge problem, especially if you’re going to use a straight cut. Might experience an altered draw if you’re going to do a punch, but those holes are so tiny so maybe not.

Congrats on the gift, how generous!
Cheers!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After our conversation on this with Jakethesnake and Boudie, I tried reading the head of cigars instead of the foot, and the readings were more consistent. If you insert the probes into the foot, it seems like your reading drops almost immediately, because of air getting in the foot. If you insert the probes into the head end, the reading will probably be more accurate, but then you’ll have two tiny little holes in the head of your cigar. Not a huge problem, especially if you’re going to use a straight cut. Might experience an altered draw if you’re going to do a punch, but those holes are so tiny so maybe not.

Congrats on the gift, how generous!
Cheers!
Cool, thanks for the info.

The discussion in that thread is exactly why I wanted to make a dedicated thread for it to get more info from those who have actual experience with them.

Totally makes sense. Will definitely probe from the head based on your experience.

I do a straight cut, so the holes wont be an issue.

About what is the smallest rg that you think you can test with it?

I have no idea how far apart the probes are

Yes, it was extremely generous and a complete surprise. I never thought someone would just give me one.

Kayla is a very generous and cool lady for sure.

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Cool, thanks for the info.

The discussion in that thread is exactly why I wanted to make a dedicated thread for it to get more info from those who have actual experience with them.

Totally makes sense. Will definitely probe from the head based on your experience.

I do a straight cut, so the holes wont be an issue.

About what is the smallest rg that you think you can test with it?

I have no idea how far apart the probes are

Yes, it was extremely generous and a complete surprise. I never thought someone would just give me one.

Kayla is a very generous and cool lady for sure.

I friggin' LOVE cigars
I think it would be okay down to a 48 ring gauge? Just depends on whether it is box pressed or not. Might only be good down to a 50. Just gotta get both those prongs into the “meat” of the cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it would be okay down to a 48 ring gauge? Just depends on whether it is box pressed or not. Might only be good down to a 50. Just gotta get both those prongs into the “meat” of the cigar.
Their website claims 38rg, which I didn't really buy based on the pictures and estimating the separation of the probes. Precisely why I asked someone who has actually used one as I'm more inclined to believe you than their website

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Their website claims 38rg, which I didn't really buy based on the pictures and estimating the separation of the probes. Precisely why I asked someone who has actually used one as I'm more inclined to believe you than their website

I friggin' LOVE cigars
I don’t have any 38, but it might fit. However, I think you’d be just inside the wrapper, in the binder of the cigar. Don’t think it would be a very good reading. I have some Montecristo #4 and Bolivar Petite Corona I can test it on when I get back home. I think those are 42 rg.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You guys may want to take the reading as simply a reference point. Cigars are living breathing things and as mentioned in the prior conversation a reading at the cap end may not be the readings anywhere else in the cigar.

I'd take a reading, note the rg and length of a cigar maybe even what type of tobacco is used then decide how the cigar smoked. You may be able to get an idea what reading at the cap gives you a better chance of smoking a properly humidified cigar depending on the above mentioned factors.

I'd think Connecticut and Sumatra tobacco cigars will smoke differently the dense thick leaved maduros when stored for short periods of time at the same rh levels.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys may want to take the reading as simply a reference point. Cigars are living breathing things and as mentioned in the prior conversation a reading at the cap end may not be the readings anywhere else in the cigar.

I'd take a reading, note the rg and length of a cigar maybe even what type of tobacco is used then decide how the cigar smoked. You may be able to get an idea what reading at the cap gives you a better chance of smoking a properly humidified cigar depending on the above mentioned factors.

I'd think Connecticut and Sumatra tobacco cigars will smoke differently the dense thick leaved maduros when stored for short periods of time at the same rh levels.
Good info and I see where you are coming from.

I plan to just use it to test a sampling of newly recieved cigars, at the head and foot, to get an idea of their rh to decide if I could smoke one, or if they need more time

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Good info and I see where you are coming from.

I plan to just use it to test a sampling of newly recieved cigars, at the head and foot, to get an idea of their rh to decide if I could smoke one, or if they need more time

I friggin' LOVE cigars
Yeah, that’s the only reason I do it. I don’t take it as a reference for my stored cigars, just when new ones come in. Even then, can’t take it as Gospel.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that’s the only reason I do it. I don’t take it as a reference for my stored cigars, just when new ones come in. Even then, can’t take it as Gospel.
Yeah, will be nice to have even a rough estimate on the rh of new arrivals to estimate how long to let them sit, with periodic testing

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plus I'm curious to see what the rh at the head and foot is on fresh arrivals from my handful of vendors to test my theory that almost all vendors now ship at a much more reasonable rh than in the past when they always arrived with a pretty high rh and took a month to come down to a smokable rh.

I friggin' LOVE cigars