What's new

CigaroCigar Set and Forget humidor for $349

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I finally found a set-and-forget humidor that regulates both humidity and temperature. Does anyone have any experience with these? They look like a new company.

The fact that they offer a small set-and-forget humidor is great. That said, here's the kicker: $349 is the price. Whoa that's cheap.

They also have announced that they are going to have a dual zone option available in April 2011... next month. It is supposed to store 500 gars plus 6 wine bottles. Personally I could care less about the wine and would just strip the bottle holders out to make room for more boxes. This larger version is, so far, priced at $600 (though that's not final since it is not yet released).

Here's the website: CigaroCigar

I found more info at their Facebook page. You might want to look there if you want more pics and info.

I sent them some questions about humidity regulation, condensation management and the like. If they respond, I'll post up what they come back with.

Let me know what you think, especially if you have one. I'd like to know what your experience is with them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at the Avallo's. Imho its a better unit, has more storage capacity and will last you.
You're not kidding, that's a beautiful cabinet. It looks like the Cooled 1200 would be the closest competitor to the larger CigaroCigar humidor. The larger CigaroCigar humi is set to be $600 while the Avallo Cooled 1200 is about $2,100 plus shipping ($150?). That's not a small difference.

I know Avallo is a supporter of the site, so I'm sure I'm stepping on some toes with this. I'm sorry about that. I don't mean to bring up the advantages of the CigaroCigar solution in any way that is damaging to Avallo. But since Angry Bill brings it up, here's my take. It looks like the Avallo cabinets are a more attractive solution and with better Spanish Cedar lining. The Avallo cabinets clearly have design features created by cigar enthusiasts, for cigar enthusiasts. These are big pluses. Also, the Accumonitor is a MUCH better and far more accurate solution compared to what CigaroCigar is using.

The pluses for CigaroCigar are clear. The solution is about the same as the Cooled 1200 and at a fraction of the cost.

If I want a beautiful piece of furniture with the top of the line controlled environment humidor, I think the Avallo Cooled 1200 is the clear winner. If I want my humidor in my man-cave where I don't care about the look of the humidor, then I'd say the CigaroCigar makes more sense.

Here's the catch for me. Avallo has a great, time tested reputation. I don't see how a person could go wrong with an Avallo. CigaroCigar looks new. That's part of the reason I posted their solution. I'm looking to see if anyone has had any experience with them. Are they a stand-up company? Does their product hold up? Does it deliver on what is promised at the website? What happens when their humidor gets damaged in the shipping process? Do they help get a replacement sent out, or are you left to deal with the shipping companies that are notoriously bad at helping in these situations? Etc, etc.

So again, anyone have one? Any experience out there?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
While I see your point, it looks to me like they are just over charging for a converted small wine fridge. You could do the same yourself with a 28 bottle wine fridge for about the same price. And store twice the sticks.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
While I see your point, it looks to me like they are just over charging for a converted small wine fridge. You could do the same yourself with a 28 bottle wine fridge for about the same price. And store twice the sticks.
+1, a 28 bottle would be more than double that space, probably cost around $500 to set up with cedar drawers and beads, and give you plenty of room to grow your collection. If you are like most here you will easily outgrow your storage. That unit may be perfect for you but it looks like it maxes out at 300 cigars and personally, I think that number seems high for that size. A 28 bottle with double drawers will probably max out in the 500-600 cigar range.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it regulate humidity? I briefly checked the website, so perhaps I missed this.

I'm with tegu, you can prob order a 28 bottle wine cooler (edgestar or vinotemp seem to be the most popular) some beads to regulate humidity (HF or HCM) and some custom drawers/trays from chasidor and acheive the same end point for right around the same amount and hold more cigars.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
How does it regulate humidity? I briefly checked the website, so perhaps I missed this.

I'm with tegu, you can prob order a 28 bottle wine cooler (edgestar or vinotemp seem to be the most popular) some beads to regulate humidity (HF or HCM) and some custom drawers/trays from chasidor and acheive the same end point for right around the same amount and hold more cigars.

I thought the same,

CHARACTERISTICS

Energy-efficient, ultra-quiet thermoelectric cooling technology
Double-paned glass door for insulation and UV protection
Elegant Spanish cedar trays
Capacity (approx): 300 cigars or 12 wine bottles
Humidity Range: 62% - 75%
Temperature range: 50-66 degrees F

No where does it say how it regulates humidity and how about getting the temperature range to 69-70?

This thread seems not much more than an infomercial.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You're not kidding, that's a beautiful cabinet. It looks like the Cooled 1200 would be the closest competitor to the larger CigaroCigar humidor. The larger CigaroCigar humi is set to be $600 while the Avallo Cooled 1200 is about $2,100 plus shipping ($150?). That's not a small difference.
The solution is about the same as the Cooled 1200 and at a fraction of the cost.
Not sure you can compare this to the Avallo at all. Kind of like comparing a Yugo to a Bugatti, inasmuch as both can take you from point A to B...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Leif, I've seen the CigaroCigar on Facebook and I checked them out as well. I also immediately closed out the website and forgot about them for exactly the reasons stated above. They are nothing but a converted wine cooler. As to Avallo, we might as well drop that from conversation as you are talking apples and watermelons, if the comparison is even that close.

I'm not trying to knock these guys as I know nothing about them, but I would be extremely leery of them. They've been asked on FB how humidity is kept and this was the answer:

There is a built in humidor system that controls the humidity range, It does not have to option to keep an exact humidity level though. The intruction manual will help you reach the optimum humidity level in your CigaroCigar.
Anyone that won't tell you how to do it ahead of time scares me. And to say that it doesn't keep an exact humidity level (their site states 62%-72%, a 10% RANGE!) would make me not walk away, but run. Especially at the cost they want to charge.

If you want what they are offering, check out the threads in here on how to set up a Wine Cooler as a humidor, get with someone who makes nice Spanish Cedar drawers, and do it yourself. You'll save a ton of money and aggravation. IMHO, this thing is marketed to the kind of people who don't really know cigars or wine but want to keep both of them around.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far I'm reading lots of responses that totally make sense, but none seem to have experience with the product.

Funny everyone seems to be looking at the same thing I quickly caught which was a lack of further description about how humidity is maintained and managed. That's really the most important series of questions I sent them when I emailed earlier today. If they respond, I'll post up whatever they have to say.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
the temp is too cold, the humidity range is too large, the size is small.

a 28 bottle wine fridge can be set up for about 600 sticks for less than $300. You do not HAVE to start with custom drawers. wine fridge $125 1.5 lbs of humidity beads $60, External Temp controller $50, a couple of Oust Fans on Ebay $20. Use emplty boxes, for storage, and add drawers later. You'll get twice the storage a serty temperature, and better humidification.

While Avallo is nice, it is not an option for anyone on a tight budget.

It is too new of a product for any knowledgable reviews o be done. Anyone who bought that didn't know they could do better for less money.