What's new

Cigars and Wine

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
We all love pairing stuff with our cigars no doubt. Whether it be coffee, tea, liquor, what have you.

I know that dudes like Pete and Dion are huge wine connoisseurs and it got me thinking, Ive never had wine while having a smoke.

So, any of you bros ever try/experiment/have a good pairing of cigars and wine?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I think you really need to match the body of the wine to the body of the cigar. For instance, a full bodied tat with a full-bodied Cabernet. But just experiment because like liquor for coffee the possibilities are endless!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I pair cigars with wine fairly regularly..

If I'm smoking.. I almost always go for a very full bodied, very "spicy" wine... something like a bold chianti.. or a malbec... or a "thick" syrah...

otherwise, a full bodied smoke (or even a medium bodied smoke that leans toward full) will (IMO) overpower the wine... and you loose all the complexities.. you may as well drink grape juice (again, IMO)...

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I only tried it once so far. It was with a port, via another brother's recommendation. It was... okay. I'd prefer to try it with a wine more up my alley.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I do this a lot...

I like port (which is to say, I drink more than my share of it), but I can understand that depending on the brand/style it can be too sweet for a lot of folks. If you're looking to go that route, I'd recommend Warre's Warrior (Ruby) or Hardy's Whiskers Blake (Aussie Tawny) as low-priced, but quality starters.

I also like bubbles with my stogies, and getting a recommendation on $15-20 bottle of cava or prosecco is worth a try as well.

Muscat (sweetness can vary) is another of my go-to varietals with smokes. Generally a lot of floral/citrus with muscat, and it makes for a really interesting palate cleanse between puffs.

I'm in TX, and drinking hot weather wines for the summer (Albariños and Vinho Verdes, mostly, but Susanna Balbo's Crios Torrontes is a new fave @ $13), but all the same, I don't usually drink super-heavy wines (some but not all cabs, barolos, south americans reds) or smoke particularly full-bodied sticks when pairing cigars and wine. For me, they just tend to blow each other out.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
hmm the wife enjoys some wine, I may have to give this a go next time.

She sticks to a lot of riesling thought, has anyone paired that up with anything?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I really enjoy a bold red wine with a cigar, but since i am the only one who drinks in our house I don't to do it everynight so I often find myself throwing out half the bottle. Been thinking about switching over to a box wine so it will last longer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I really enjoy a bold red wine with a cigar, but since i am the only one who drinks in our house I don't to do it everynight so I often find myself throwing out half the bottle. Been thinking about switching over to a box wine so it will last longer. Anyone have any suggestions?
can always cook with the leftover wine. just a thought.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

She sticks to a lot of riesling thought, has anyone paired that up with anything?
actually i liked to pair opus with riesling, truth be told. the residual sugars gould help ground the nic, and the sweet notes when the opus raisin note popped up was just amazing.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0

actually i liked to pair opus with riesling, truth be told. the residual sugars gould help ground the nic, and the sweet notes when the opus raisin note popped up was just amazing.

Thanks, I shall keep this in mind now.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Sh**. I need to try this. I have yet to find something I actually thought complimented an Opus. Everything has either been too strong, and muddling flavors... or too weak, and just caused a weird sensation. That sounds like a perfect balance.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Red will mellow a little over a couple of days after being exposed to the air, etc.... but you can re-cork it after you pull a glass or two out.. and it will still be fine to drink tomorrow... no reason to throw out half bottles..

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have been on a big malbec kick lately and it always goes great with a cigar. Never been a huge wine guy but I've found the malbec's really fit my palate and happen to pair very well.