What's new

Cigars and your kids

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 7 week old daughter at home and I am struggling to find time to smoke cigars. She is obviously the most important thing so stogies have to wait.

My question is do any of you have special traditions/activities you do with kids relating to cigars? I used to always give my wife my cigar band as a ring when we were dating (and I actually proposed with a Te Amo ring) and I could do that with my daughter, but I was wondering if any of you had things you did like smoke a cigar when you take the kids to the park or anything else.

On a related note, do any of you try to hide your cigar smoking from your kids? Do you purposefully avoid smoking in front of them?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Congrats man. :thumbsup:

I smoke in front of my kids but try not to let the smoke near them and always wash my hands when finished.

I also make sure they know it is an adult activity...well, with my two year old I do... my three month old son might not get it.

I usually smoke when we all go downtown (DC or Alexandria) and walk around.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Same boat here guys. My 7yo girl knows smoking is very bad for you, cause wife's mom died from cancer. Probably from many years of smoking cigarettes. So I have avoided smoking around the house almost totally, never inside. I tend to be a late night smoker in the screened in porch, well after she has gone to sleep. Because it's winter (sorta), I have smoked recently coming into work where the little one is not around.

Wife thinks I should tell her daddy smokes cigars, just not very often and explain the differences between gars vs cigs. I like the park idea and walking around with the family.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I do not and have not smoked in front of my children. They do know that I smoke cigars and pipes. The aroma that is me and my car and the fact that the cigars have always been in plain view kind of give it away. They do understand that smoking is for adults. We have discussed it.

When at home I usually only smoke after they and my wife have gone to bed for the night.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I don't have kids but I have a young nephew and I try to NEVER let him see me smoke anything - right now, he loves me to death and don't want to do ANYTHING to negatively influence him in any way.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Man you guys that hide smoking have to be good about it. My dad smoked cigarrettes till i was about 10 or so. He smoked for about 15 years, IIRC. I NEVER had a clue until he told me when I first got into cigars. I never saw him smoke, period. Now that's a pretty good cover-up job! :thumbsup:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Me, personally, I wouldn't hide it. I'm a very open person with my friends and family. I may feel differently when I have kids, as they change your perspective on everything. As it stands now my aunt (mom) smoked in front of me all my life and I was always exposed to it. So were my 3 sisters. None of them smoke, and I only smoke cigars. I don't think it negatively impacted me whatsoever. I think the level of impact it would have on a child and whether or not they rebel and wnat to smoke has alot more to do with how you raise your kids overall. But that's just my opinion, and I currently do not have children. But I definitely plan not to hide it. However, I don't plan on going out of my way to smoke in front of them or have them coughing in a cloud of smoke. I'll try to smoke away from them as much as possible. But it's not the end of the world for me if they get exposed occassionaly. There are worse things in the world then a little smoke. I want my children to know as much about me as possible.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I smoke in front of them, but not in the house. My parents never smoked, but I started smoking cigs at the age of 15 (quit cigs almost four years ago). I think teaching them that smoking is an adult activity is a better lesson than teaching them to sneak and hide.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My Mom hid her cigarette smoking for years, she's a therapist so she'd just say she was in group therapy and some of the people smoked. I've always said that I'm going to quit smoking cigarettes when I have kids, that's something that they don't need to be exposed to because it's not something that you can just do once a week or really even once a day. Cigars on the other hand, I'm thinkin' that I'll probably do like you guys I like to smoke at night so I'll smoke after they go to bed, but not hide it from them. And when they're old enough let them know what it's all about and that it's an adult activity and soforth.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
6 month old daughter here so I try and smoke in the loft with the window open or out at the pub. I don't want her to see me smoking but I see cigars as a something I choose to enjoy and savour occasionally rather than a habit like cigerettes, though a 6 month old may not get the subleties of that!!!!

dmoby

Boli Whore
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No kids, but I know some people buy a box and save it untll they are of age or smoke one a year on their birth date from that box.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hey Todd, you might want to explain your "Birth Box" idea to C-Dub. I think that might be more along the lines of what he was looking for...

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I try to keep my smoking away from kids. I think talking about it is much better than trying to hide it. If the kids do find out about it and you don't know they know, they will view it differently.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Another reason not to smoke in front of the kids.
Right now my boys are 5 and 7. For me, smoking cigars is a means of relaxation and a time to enjoy the flavor of the cigar at hand. If the kids are up and around, the cigar becomes secondary and is not enjoyed.

Kids are a distraction to cigar smoking.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Random note. I was in a cigar shop once and a woman came in to buy ciggs and left her son to stand outside in the cold.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
My KID got me into smoking cigars and pipes so I guess I can't hide it. I did smoke Cig's for quite a while, BAD thing to do around kids.:nono: :peace: