What's new

Cigars & High Blood Pressure....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my bi-monthly visit to the doctor yesterday and he wants to know what is going on with my high blood pressure, it has been around 150 to 160 over 106.

I told him that I smoke cigars but not as much as cigarette smokers and I dont inhale them so whats the problem...

He told me along with changing my diet to include more fruits and salads (yeh right!!!) I should give some consideration to stop smoking (yeh right, again!!!)

I told the doctor that I have been smoking since high school, Im 50 NOW and I have never had high blood pressure. I also told him that I also think its the god-damn pollution living in NJ especially near all the chemical dumps and gas refinery's...

So not to make this a long drawn out boring story, my question is do you really think that 2 cigars a day has anything to do with high blood pressure???

In the meantime he gave me 2 prescriptions to take to control the pressure and I do get a nice buzz off them so all is not wasted...

BTW, Im really not a big beer drinker either, but I do like sip VSOP or RUM with my cigars, it enhances their taste.

Have a great day,
Mitch:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Try a little dieting and some exercise (if you don't already). Doc put me on some meds for blood pressure, too. I hate taking meds, so I managed to reduce my weight to the point where I didn't need the meds anymore (daily exercise, too). Weight loss and exercise can usually help quite a bit.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Some of those instructions go against my rules also. Eating anything green mostly applies, also for cigars, no green ones. Altho I hear DWavs like the white owls.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Headbanger said:
...Although I hear DWavs like the white owls.
Yep, he gets is daily allowance of fruit through his Peach, Pinapple & Green Apple White Owls :pokemyeye

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I don't know man, it has to shoot up there for a reason. I'd say take it back to atleast 1 a day if you aren't going to alter your diet and exercise. Things can catch up with you when you get older. Better to be safe then sorry.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know about white owls but I do like snow owls = taste like chicken much better than bald eagles I think. My doctor just put me on High Blood pressure meds too. I don't think my 4-5 cigars a week has anyhting to do with it besides I it helps me to relax and sleep better there must be some health benifits from better sleep.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, I've got some experience with this too. A couple of years ago I was taking Vioxx for my knee (the one I had scoped) for the arthritis pain and swelling. I stopped taking it after about six months because my head was swimming frequently. One day at work I asked the nurse to take my BP and it was 170/105. I have NEVER had high blood pressure so I went to the doctor and he put me on something for it. About a month later I stopped taking it to see what I could do on my own and it's stayed right around normal since. My doc told me that when it comes right down to it, they don't know what causes 80% of HBP. Stress, food, age, salt, clouds, too little sex, whatever seems to flip your switch that day. Of course there are the standard causes, but in general they just don't know sometimes.

Watch your BP though, it's not something to screw with.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My doctor told me that getting my BP in the 140 to 150 range is the goal. I guess some people function under stress bette then others.......

I dont know of many phoneman who are not on some type of BP medicine.

But I am lowering my salt intake to about 1500mg a day, and the too little sex thing cant be solved...

I guess being self-employed, paying taxes, living in NJ, dealing with the damn toll booths all day arent helping at all...

I did cut my coffee intake down from 4 cups a day to 1. And I am eating alot of salads and fresh veggies (they taste like crap)...

So we shall see the outcome.

Have a good evening to all, Mitch

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Headbanger said:
Some of those instructions go against my rules also. Eating anything green mostly applies, also for cigars, no green ones. Altho I hear DWavs like the white owls.
DWavs likes to give white owls to the losers around my poker table. :grin:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Speaking of which...I better pick up another trio at the gas station...err, I mean my vendor.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
On the BP thing, I took medicine for it for years. Late last summer I went on a low carb diet/exercise and dropped 25lbs and have maintained normal BP without medication since. As an added bonus my blood sugar has normalized as well. No more medicine for that either.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have lost over 20 pounds since Thanksgiving and been walking on the treadmill. That combined with low carb/high protien diet and cutting back on caffiene has dropped my blood pressure dramaticaly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, recently I found out about a drug called VASERETIC. My mom suffers from high blood pressure, and the doc prescribed some VASERECTIC medications for her. I heard that it lowers the blood pressure and controls the blood circulation. And also, for short-tempered people who got high blood pressure, it calms you down and make it easy for the bloodflow.

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3393-s-VASERETIC.aspx

My mom started taking it since some days, she's feeling sleepy somehow ( perhaps coz there's some sedative chemicals in it), but otherwise, she's doing great!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
From what I've been told, nicotine does constrict your arteries
+ veins so it can contribute directly to higher blood pressure readings. I've also read that in general, blood pressure increases until you are about 50, levels off for 10 years or so and then starts a downward trend the rest of your life.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm 32 and on BP meds. I take a beta blocker which slows the heart and lowers bp. Mitch the goal should be 120/80 not 150/90. Some research actually suggests getting your bp even lower. I have high bp for several reasons.

1) I need to lose some weight
2) I need to exercise more
3) Yes, cigars will increase your BP
4) Alcohol will increase your BP and I drink.
5) I have a type A personality

What I suggest is getting a manual cuff for home. Take your BP when relaxed and sitting at home. Keep a diary. Your BP is almost always higher in the doctors office. If it's not close to 120/80 you need to be on meds. Letting it go can lead to heart disease, erectile dysfunction, kidney failure along with many other health effects. I suggest getting your weight down if that's an issue. Make exercise a way of life. Take your meds and insist upon 120/80 with your doc.

As for Vioxx like any COX II inhibitor it makes you retain water which increases BP. It's a class effect...Celebrex, Naproxyn, and even Advil can increase BP. The whole sodium restriction thing can be important depending on your age. Younger guys can handle salt because their kidneys are effective at excreting sodium. As you get older your kidneys work less effectively and you become more sensitive to sodium. Sodium retains water and increases BP.

I hope some of this information helps.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
tedski said:
From what I've been told, nicotine does constrict your arteries
+ veins so it can contribute directly to higher blood pressure readings. I've also read that in general, blood pressure increases until you are about 50, levels off for 10 years or so and then starts a downward trend the rest of your life.
Cool...I am at my peak!:hysterica
Therefore....I can begin to INCREASE my smoking!:thumbsup: