What's new

Cigars & High Blood Pressure....

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
I'm 32 and on BP meds. I take a beta blocker which slows the heart and lowers bp. Mitch the goal should be 120/80 not 150/90. Some research actually suggests getting your bp even lower. I have high bp for several reasons.

1) I need to lose some weight
2) I need to exercise more
3) Yes, cigars will increase your BP
4) Alcohol will increase your BP and I drink.
5) I have a type A personality

What I suggest is getting a manual cuff for home. Take your BP when relaxed and sitting at home. Keep a diary. Your BP is almost always higher in the doctors office. If it's not close to 120/80 you need to be on meds. Letting it go can lead to heart disease, erectile dysfunction, kidney failure along with many other health effects. I suggest getting your weight down if that's an issue. Make exercise a way of life. Take your meds and insist upon 120/80 with your doc.

As for Vioxx like any COX II inhibitor it makes you retain water which increases BP. It's a class effect...Celebrex, Naproxyn, and even Advil can increase BP. The whole sodium restriction thing can be important depending on your age. Younger guys can handle salt because their kidneys are effective at excreting sodium. As you get older your kidneys work less effectively and you become more sensitive to sodium. Sodium retains water and increases BP.

I hope some of this information helps.
Damn you sound like my doctors. I have been on Pravachol for years and when I lost 50 pounds it almost killed me. Over dosed. :skew: Got four tickets in 2 months. If I hadn't gone to give blood and been told my heart rate was at 47probably would have fallen asleep at the wheel at some point. The cuff at home REALLY helps regulate how much I take. But hey I peaked so bring on the cigars.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
CWS said:
Damn you sound like my doctors. I have been on Pravachol for years and when I lost 50 pounds it almost killed me. Over dosed. :skew: Got four tickets in 2 months. If I hadn't gone to give blood and been told my heart rate was at 47probably would have fallen asleep at the wheel at some point. The cuff at home REALLY helps regulate how much I take. But hey I peaked so bring on the cigars.

Pravachol shouldn't decrease your heart rate just your cholesterol. But, losing 50 pounds could have decreased your need for need for BP meds. If you were on atenolol, metoprolol, or any beta blocker you must be careful about heart rate. My heart rate runs high naturally but some of my older patients have problems with heart rate and beta blockers. Yes, all meds have side effects and picking the perfect BP med for the patient is as much an art as it is a science.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
Pravachol shouldn't decrease your heart rate just your cholesterol. But, losing 50 pounds could have decreased your need for need for BP meds. If you were on atenolol, metoprolol, or any beta blocker you must be careful about heart rate. My heart rate runs high naturally but some of my older patients have problems with heart rate and beta blockers. Yes, all meds have side effects and picking the perfect BP med for the patient is as much an art as it is a science.
Whoop. old age. Pravachol for Cholesterol. Your right. It was the Altenolol for the BP. I hate that stuff but it works when I watch it.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
CWS said:
Whoop. old age. Pravachol for Cholesterol. Your right. It was the Altenolol for the BP. I hate that stuff but it works when I watch it.
This is the reason for close follow up. I find it funny when patients think I want them to follow closely because it pays me. I get paid the same no matter how many patients I see. Me personally, I love atenolol for BP control. Lowering heart rate and BP extends life and is cardioprotective against heart attacks. With that said, if you loose 50 pounds your doc needs to be aware and concerned if your BP or HR drop dramatically. Lowering the dose would be appropriate.