What's new

Cigars just as bad as Cigarettes

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this in the local paper today. I'd be interested to see what you guys thought of it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/Assessing_your_cancer_risk.html?cmpid=131298209

True or false: Cigars are a 'safe' alternative to cigarettes
False. Many people perceive cigar smoking as safer than cigarettes because most cigar smokers do not inhale while smoking. The truth is, cigars have higher levels of carcinogens and nicotine.

The facts:

◦Cigars are particularly dangerous due to the process of aging and fermenting the tobacco, which creates carcinogenic compounds (such as tar, carbon monoxide and ammonia) in cigar smoke in much higher levels than found in cigarette smoke. One large cigar can contain as much tobacco as an entire pack of cigarettes.
◦The amount of nicotine is higher in a cigar (1 to 2 milligrams in a cigarette versus up to 400 milligrams in a single cigar). Since this nicotine is quickly absorbed in the saliva, the addiction to cigars is just as strong as to cigarettes.
◦Smokers' saliva contains the chemicals from the tobacco smoke, exposing the mouth, lips, tongue and throat to these carcinogens. Although lung cancer rates are lower in cigar smokers, cancers of the mouth, nose and throat are more often seen in this group.
Learn more about the cancer risk associated with cigars on OncoLink, a cancer information Web site developed by experts at the University of Pennsylvania's Abramson Cancer Center. Find out more about your overall cancer risk by completing OncoLink’s What’s My Risk? assessment.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I actually LOLed at the part about cigars being just as addictive as cigarettes.

The people I know that smoke cigs are like crack heads if they don't get their fix. I can and will go days or even weeks without having a cigar and it's not a problem.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Links, please (if online version exists.)

Seems to me that the study cited at that Cancer Center web site was pretty old and I don't recall it ever saying that cigars are worse than cigarettes. I don't have time to read the whole thing again right now, but I think it gets waved around a lot to try to make points that weren't made in the study.

If the writer were to simply say that "cigars arnen't a safe alternative to cigarettes" and leave the bs out, they'd likely have more credibility next time they want people to read something. Or, maybe I'm wrong. Again. Could be that pandering, fear, and misinterpretation will get you farther than facts, research and old-fashioned journalism nowadays.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I've gone weeks with out the monkey on my back when I've needed to take a break. That's the only evidence I need to know they're not as addictive or as bad for you in the long run. Ask Mr Robaina when he passed in his 90s....

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks for the link. I'm curious about the source of the information that determined that fermented tobacco used in cigars makes cigar smoke more carcinogenic than cigarette smoke. Don't recall having read that in any studies previously. And, if they did compare carcinogen levels in cigar vs. cigarette smoke...did they compare effects of that cigarette smoke inhaled against (uninhaled) cigar smoke?

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Cigars are not as addictive as cigarettes, but I wouldn't know since I've never smoked cigarettes... more than a few that I tried when I was younger.

I will tell you that I have difficulty going through a day without a cigar. Am I addicted? Probably. The longest I've gone without one in the last year is about 3 days. I truthfully don't know if I get agitated that I've not had a cigar or just agitated in general... lol. Who knows... maybe I'll try an experiment and see how long I can go without cigar... who really cares if I'm addicted or not? I certainly don't... I'm now not sure why I'm posting this but to say I can believe cigars are addictive.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Not sure why cigar smokers can get defensive about these statements... it's true for the most part. There have been posts/pictures here on BOTL I believe with tar bubbles oozing out of the clipped head while someone is smoking a cigar. Can that be good for you? LOL It is fact there is ammonia build up and is why cigars go through a "sick period." There is a lot of nicotine. All this is true.

The statement above isn't saying cigars are worse than cigarettes, just that cigars can be dangerous too.

Like others have said, it is a joke they say cigars are just as addicting than cigarettes though!?! And not to mention the additives/chemicals in cigarettes.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
studies show an insignificant/immesurable increased cancer risk for smokers in 1-2cigar/week range.
another real difference is respiratory capacity/gas exchange efficiency.

inhaling cigarette smoke into your lungs is very bad for you.
enjoying a cigar or two a week with good ventilation is very safe for you.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've smoked cigarettes dozens of times and never once had a feeling of addiction to them. I think it depends on the person and how they react to certain things as a whole.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
studies show an insignificant/immesurable increased cancer risk for smokers in 1-2cigar/week range.
another real difference is respiratory capacity/gas exchange efficiency.

inhaling cigarette smoke into your lungs is very bad for you.
enjoying a cigar or two a week with good ventilation is very safe for you.
can you link a study showing that?

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
I smoke about 4-5 cigars per week. I have gone weeks without a cigar. I feel if I truly never wanted a cigar again I could stop this instant and not have a problem.

I have been trying to research for years the negative health affects on people who smoke less than 1 cigar per day, but the studies can't be found because a) there is not a large enough sample of people to come up with any meaningful results and b) researchers do not believe there are any statistically significant adverse health affects among that class of people.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Coming from a former half a pack day smoker, Cigars are not as adictive as cigarettes in terms of nicotine craving. I gave up cigars for lent, sure i've wanted a cigar but never had a craving for them. When i went without cigs just kept looking for two puffs to cure the fix. From my observations cigar smokers seem to become addicted to the ritual of smoking cigars not the nicotine. Remember cigs are designed to be a drug disspersal system where cigars are an artisanal art form.

Last edited:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Coming from a former half a pack day smoker, cigarettes are not as adictive as cigars in terms of nicotine craving. I gave up cigars for lent, sure i've wanted a cigar but never had a craving for them. When i went without cigs just kept looking for two puffs to cure the fix. From my observations cigar smokers seem to become addicted to the ritual of smoking cigars not the nicotine. Remember cigs are designed to be a drug disspersal system where cigars are an artisanal art form.
:scratchhe

Are you saying cigars are more addictive than cigs, or vice versa? Looks like you are saying both... I'm assuming just typed it wrong in the first sentence?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yea, I actually LOLed at the part about cigars being just as addictive as cigarettes.

The people I know that smoke cigs are like crack heads if they don't get their fix. I can and will go days or even weeks without having a cigar and it's not a problem.
I am the same way. I will not smoke a cigar if I feel it is too hot/cold and sometimes I will go a few weeks without the thought of smoking a cigar. But every cigaret smoker I know will smoke a cigaret in a snow/sand storm. They will sweet or freeze for a cigaret. So I don't believe cigars are addictive or even anywhere close to as addictive as cigarets.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
From my observations cigar smokers seem to become addicted to the ritual of smoking cigars not the nicotine.
Yes, I'm addicted to opening my wallet to buy boxes of cigars:
1. with multiple bands,
2. after they have sat for years and years, and
3. whenever my humi-tetris skills need a challenge.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It's all 100% true.

...presuming you regularly smoke cigars as often and in the same fashion as a regular smoker smokes cigarettes (dily or multiple per day, and inhaling). Non-regular cigar smoking (less than 1x a day) without inhaling has been shown to have a minimal effect on your risk of cancer or health.

Several doctors I know personally (these are guys with sterling reputations in the health community) have stated that the stress relief and relaxation I recieve from my 1-3 cigars per week is likely to have a net positive effect on my health.