What's new

Cigars Lose All Flavor After 1 Month Storage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been and out of the cigar hobby for years. I always exist due to storage complications leading to loss of flavor in my cigars.

I've used humidors with heartfelts (65 and 70), sponges, gel beads, and rubber sealed tupperware. I always end up throwing out most of my orders after several months because they start to taste like nothing.

I don't smoke a lot, typically 1 cigar a week in the winter, and 2-3 in the summer, so I'm not burning out my tongue.

Recently I bought my first home, and decided I wanted to give it one final go. On recommendation, I purchased a Cigar Oasis. I also bought 1 year Boveda bag to use as a control.

Each storage location has a digital hygrometer, and each hygro has been "vetted" for accuracy with a Boveda calibration kit (+/- 1-2 degrees).

I ordered my favorite and familiar blends from CigarBid (Joya 1970, CAO Colombia, CAO Flathead, and Undercrown). They tasted great off the truck, but sure enough, a month later and nothing. Just, like tobacco or something. It's as if all the flavor from the oils are gone. They still smell good, burn good, and feel spongy (not dry). My box and bag are both around 68 degrees. I've swapped the hygros back and forth and the CigarOasis also has a reading. I don't believe they could have "dried out".

A friend says it's because I am purchasing cheap cigars, and I'm buying packs instead of boxes. I can't justify buying more expensive cigars, since I have yet to have an experience in which they do not go "stale". Furthremore, I can't see how a cheap $5 cigar would lose flavor faster than a $10 cigar. If the conditions of the box are good, then that should not matter. Maybe I'm wrong.

Any ideas?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I could be wrong but usually if a cigar seems bland in my opinion. It’s too high of humidity. I move all my cigars to a desktop after I pull them from storage. I keep the desktop 60-65. I think after they sit in the desktop they’re better than at the 69 I store them at.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can pump up the humidity with my Cigar Oasis and try those Cigars, and then take the same cigar out of my 1 Year bag and let it sit out overnight and try that?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Try leaving one out of the bag for a few days. 3-4. Some guys swear by that. “Dry boxing”. That’s basically what I do with my desktop. But I leave them in there around 60-65 for a month or better. Seems to work for me. Don’t throw your sticks away. They will come around. I too have a couple boveda bags. At 69. Seems to me I like to smoke them after I’ve had them a few months. No matter where they come from.

it’s almost like they go through a sick period kinda like a Cuban. I don’t fully understand it but I’ve noticed a new box doesn’t smoke well until I’ve tested them for a good while. Few months or so.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Drop your humidity to 65, and leave them all alone for two months. I'd be willing to bet that fixes most of your problems.

But you haven't mentioned temp - where in the house are you keeping things, and what are the ambient conditions like?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
How big of container are you using? and how full is it? I have heard overly empty containers/humidors can make cigars loose potency and to keep singles in a cigar box inside of your humidor container to help preserve taste

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great suggestions in this thread. I had a similar problem at some point and started dry boxing the cigars that were "in my que." I put 5 cigars on top of my humidor at a time, and select from those 5. Then reload.