What's new

Clay Pipes?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I've been looking at picking up a pipe or two after Christmas. I'll wait to see if the wife gets me a Boswell or not before I order anything.

I ran across lepeltier-pipes.com and was wondering if anyone here has one and if so, what do you think of them?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Smoked a clay pipe one time. It was the old style - one piece, 100% clay. After a short time the bowl became too hot to hold, so I put it out and haven't tried it since.

I prefer briar pipes anyway ...

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I'd read where the clay pipes get hot and that's why traditionally the stem was so long. But these are double walled and apparently cool smoking... we'll see. I just ordered one.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Double-wall will help with the heat transfer, but they still retain their fragility. Let us know how the new one works out for you.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
That is really a nice pipe. I have a long stemmed one that I got years ago but use it mostly as a novelty. Stem is about 20 inches long. They were used in colonial Williamsburg. The one you have pictured is much more sophisticated.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems a little pricey for a clay pipe, especially since they are really fragile (as others have noted). I used to smoke a clay churchwarden (the ones with the long, curved stem whose design comes from Colonial times or earlier) pretty frequently. It smoked very well, and the long stem made for a cool smoke. It also allowed you to hold the pipe by the stem instead of the bowl, avoiding the problem of holding a hot bowl in your fingers.

Let us know how these work out.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I received my pipe today. It's a beaut!

After it sat on the counter for a few hours to warm up, I decided to take it down to the "smoking room" (read the basement) and try it out.

Feels nice in the hand. Slightly heavier than a comparable Briar pipe. The hole is in the exact bottom of the bowl and they suggest that you place a toothpick or sharpened match in it when you fill the pipe in order to insure that you don't plug it up. I used a toothpick and it worked fine. Don't know how long I'll do that, might try it without the 'pick a couple of times to see if there is a problem. I imagine that, if you don't pack the bowl too tight, you should be fine.

So, I selected some Christmas Cheer 2000 and filled the bowl. Feels good in the hand even when smoking. Doesn't get too warm. Great draw. Excellent flavor from the tobacco. It's even formed so that when you set it down, it doesn't need a holder or stand, it sets on a flat spot on the bottom of the bowl.

All in all, I'm very pleased. I'll probably get a couple more. Kinda wish they had a Churchwarden.....:applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I received my pipe today. It's a beaut!

After it sat on the counter for a few hours to warm up, I decided to take it down to the "smoking room" (read the basement) and try it out.

Feels nice in the hand. Slightly heavier than a comparable Briar pipe. The hole is in the exact bottom of the bowl and they suggest that you place a toothpick or sharpened match in it when you fill the pipe in order to insure that you don't plug it up. I used a toothpick and it worked fine. Don't know how long I'll do that, might try it without the 'pick a couple of times to see if there is a problem. I imagine that, if you don't pack the bowl too tight, you should be fine.

So, I selected some Christmas Cheer 2000 and filled the bowl. Feels good in the hand even when smoking. Doesn't get too warm. Great draw. Excellent flavor from the tobacco. It's even formed so that when you set it down, it doesn't need a holder or stand, it sets on a flat spot on the bottom of the bowl.

All in all, I'm very pleased. I'll probably get a couple more. Kinda wish they had a Churchwarden.....:applause: :applause: :thumbsup:
Very cool!